Choosing next build - advice, please.

ortho85

I'm nearing the end of my second model (Armed Virginia Sloop), so it's time to look for the next project.  I have received instructions from The Boss that she needs a model to display - my first 2 models are for me to see, only!

So, any advice to fit the following criteria:

• Large-ish.  I'm thinking above 36"/90cm.
  • Interesting to build, but not too complicated.  I need to finish it this year!
  • Either one covered by Bob Hunt's Practicums, or with extremely good instructions available.
  • Preferably easy to get in Australia.
  • Good Forum support.

Not much to ask?

Cheers, and Happy New Year,

Brett

Maybe a brig/sloop like MS's Niagara, Syren or Jotika's HMS Cruiser/Snake?  Don't have to worry about any complicated stern stuff ;)

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

Hi Brett

I like a lot of others are building the Niagara from Model Expo

Whatever you decide you will need to order from the US or UK which works

when you pay by credit card

The Niagara requires more carpentry than some Here is some strip wood go

build it  !!

Also the plans are in imperial measurements I tend to use a scale rule and measure off the plan

The Caldercraft Endeavour is another  good choice

I don't think you need to buy practicums The 2 models I mentioned come with good instructions.

But your best option is to start a build log and tap into the experience and skills here

Good luck with it

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

Thanks CharlieZardoz and Ken.

My current build is M/S, and I'm unimpressed by the quality of the plans/instructions.  I have already bought the Practicums, so I'm hoping to use them again, sometime.

Any comments on the Jotika plans/instructions?

Cheers,

Brett

Ahoy Brett :D

I would suggest you first find out what the Admiral wants if this will be "hers" to see. 

As for the practicums there are plenty of logs here that offer more help then you you could ever hope for.

Why not sit down with the Admiral and show her some pictures of finished kits; ask her what she would like and build whatever she wants. You never know: The Connie might look good with pink gunwales and lavender trim. 

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Chuck's practicum for Syren is top notch, you also have excellent builders on this site like Dubz and Thomas Gahm among others who post a lot of pics in their Syren build logs that you can use for how-to assistance. 

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

I think the Syren may be a little too small for the space SWMBO has in mind.  I fear the same may be true of Snake and Cruiser.

However, I am currently assembling some photos for a line-up!

Based purely on size, I'm wondering about Bounty, Vanguard, Constitution, or Confederacy?

I know size isn't everything, but try telling my wife that!  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Brett

Any of those ships you list is going to be a challenge to finish within a year.  As for Caldercraft instructions, the comment about "as good as you can get" certainly does not apply to their early kit offerings.  They only started producing detailed instructions on later kits, and the only large model from that period is HMS Victory; even with that one I'm not sure about the instructions.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

The larger Bounty kit's I believe are from Artesania Latina and Constructo though I wouldn't recommend those companies if you want "clear" instructions.  Constitution would be the simpliest of the kits you mentioned since both Confederacy and Vanguard will have lots of carving/detailing type work(some photo etched).  There is the clipper Jefferson Davis by Blue Jacket at 35.5" clipper Harvey (again by Artesania Latina but simple in comparison) at 36" or a bigger kit would be the HMS Warrior by Billing Boats that's 57.5" also you have non-warships like Flying Fish 36" or Cuttysark by either sergal or mantura at 45" which might also fit the under one year time frame you are looking for.  Keep to kits with one or two decks tops and marginal stern detailing in my humble opinion. :)

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Thanks, CharlieSandoz!

I have just run my own suggestions up the flagpole, and got told I'm wrong (again!).

However, your non-warship ideas sound like what she is after, so I'll check those out.  Apparently a more modern sailing ship/boat would be ideal.

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by ortho85

So, the latest is to look for something in the modern yacht style, around 800mm long.

The Amati Endeavour (1934 America's Cup yacht) looked possible, but that is said to be 1150mm long - a bit big!

Although it's a resin hull, the only vaguely interesting looking model I have found is the Amati Dorade Racing Yacht.  As seen here - http://www.historicships.com/TALLSHIPS/Amati/Dorade%20AM1605/Dorade%20am1605.htm

Any comments on this, or Amati, or any other suggestions?

Please!

Edited by ortho85

Model Shipways has the Bluenose, Mantua has the Britannia Royal yacht, Amati has Endeavor, Corel has the Corsaro 2 all at around 32"  Your best bet is to go on www.agesofsail.com type in yacht and show the misses the list as that is pretty much the options for yachts as far as I know of.  Also there are Bark's like Gorch Fock and Eagle out there which are kinda modernish?

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Thanks, Charlie, Chris and MrBlueJacket.

The historical ones are out of contention for this project.  My orders are to find a modern yacht, like this design:

post-3616-0-94010800-1420234473.txt

That's the Amati Columbia - not what I want to build next, but hey after 41 years of married bliss I ain't gunna break from tradition now!

Cheers,

Brett