Robert E Lee by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - Constructo

• 5 months later...

Well done Mike - a great job.  In reading your log I sense the same frustration that I felt with all the 'fiddly bits' and achieving the tight tolerances that the model requires.  You did well to finish it in four months as it contains a bit more detail than the Amati version that I built, especially on the hull.

There is more than you might think in building the RE Lee but I agree with you - it is well worth the effort.

Roger

Previous builds include:

Cutty Sark (AL)

Brittania (Mamoli)

Lexington (Aeropiccola)

La Couronne (Corel)

Santa Maria (Mantua)

Nicely done.  This is the first Robert E. Lee that i have seen that is not white with red trim I like the natural look.  Though I rarely go that route.  Bravo!

David B

Thank you to everyone, Strangely enough after all this time I decided to put another row of railings on the wheelhouse deck because somehow the boat just didn't look finished. I reckon it was well worth the effort.

I really am very grateful for all the comments and especially glad that the unpainted approach is appreciated.

post-10647-0-44876600-1444988297_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-10900000-1444988330_thumb.jpg

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

They don't use laser cutting which means you have to cut most of the parts with a knife.

She really is a great looking model Mike. I would like to ask a question regarding your very first post, just to be sure in my own mind. Do you mean they simply printed an outline on the plywood, and you had to cut the whole thing out with a knife? I have eyed this kit from time to time, but my ability to cut out something by following a line free-hand, is pretty limited (i.e. I usually end up with a mess).

Sorry for the dumb question. :(

Skip

Not a dumb question at all my friend. I have been used to doing kits with laser cut pieces. Very easy to remove from the boards and, except maybe for the scorch marks, very easy to work with.

I have now completed two Constructo kits, the REL and Louise both of which I am pleased with in the end but, they don't use the same process for parts. As a result what you get are clearly marked sheets of pieces but not fully cut so you have to follow grooves with an xacto or similar. Also the quality of their plywood parts is certainly questionable when compared with other manufacturers.

I can't be too damning of Constructo because they do finish up being nice models but there are certainly better quality kits out there with better instructions.

I hope that is helpful to you in some way.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Thanks for your helpful response regarding the plywood.

If I understand correctly, it is partially cut through via laser but not completely. I once built a model where I got sheets of wood with lines printed on them and nothing more. I had to cut them out with an xacto knife (having nothing more sophisticated). The result was not exceptionally pretty. :)

Skip

If I understand correctly, it is partially cut through via laser but not completely. I once built a model where I got sheets of wood with lines printed on them and nothing more. I had to cut them out with an xacto knife (having nothing more sophisticated). The result was not exceptionally pretty. :)

Skip

I gave up and bought a scroll saw that made the job easier.

David B

Hey Skipper, sorry if I misled you here. The Constructo frames etc are not laser cut but seem to be 'pressed' so the outine of the parts is there and they are partly cut but nothing like the proper laser cutting of pieces. You have to do quite a lot of work with a knife and then careful sanding afterwards. Whilst I fully appreciate dgbot's answer I haven't had the funds to get a scroll saw yet - often though it was a good idea though especially if I get really brave and decide to have a go at scratchbuliding !!!! Strange, talking of that does anyone have plans for the RSS Discovery?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

• 4 weeks later...

Skip

I too built a couple of models with printed lines rather then laser cut. The kits were from the 50's and 60's. I used a coping saw and though a bit time consuming, once I got pretty good with it, the result was quite good.

mike

• 1 year later...

Hey howya goin Mike mate, wow very impressive work on her mate I hope my Mississippi comes out just as good as your model.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.