HMS Pickle by flyer - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64 - my interpretation

Fore stay sail

One definition of insanity is that you do the same things again and again - and expect a different outcome every time. Although I made that sail more than once it seems that I'm not completely insane. For the first try I took measurements from the build again. For the length off the luff I took the distance between mouse and the upper deadeye of the forestay. The leach is parallel to the mast and the foot must run clear of the belfry and forms a right angle with the leach. A trial with a paper sail looked ok.

But when hoisting the finished sail I got an impression of a small tablecloth acting as a sail with a huge gap between sail and mast. Checking different pictures and paintings I found that the peak was too low but as it was not fixed to the stay and only held up by the peak halyard I could pull it above the mouse. I'm not sure if this is correct but it works on the model.

For the second try I increased thus the distance between peak and foot and gained 15 - 20% of sail area. It looked better and definitely different...

post-504-0-92245200-1458917765_thumb.jpg

the fore stay sail still seems a bit small

post-504-0-66075300-1458917767_thumb.jpg

the peak is above the mouse

The next problem were the hanks to attach the sail to the stay. Originally they are iron or wooden open hoops, formed like an Ω where the  open ends are connected with a lashing going through the sails eyelets.

I thought that by putting a ring with overlapping ends through the eyelets and then bend the ends backwards I could imitate the Ω.

It looks quite ok but I'm still asking myself if I should double the number of hanks. Initially I put one on each seam of the sail cloths as shown e.g. in Lees' book.

post-504-0-58288300-1458917766_thumb.jpg

a single hank

post-504-0-19955700-1458917765_thumb.jpg

perhaps I should double the number of hanks...

The down hauler leads from the peak through a block on the stay to the on a pin below the belfry.

Another problem was the sheet. Originally I thought that I must install double sheets as for the jib but didn't know how. But Marquardt simply states that '...the sheet belayed before the mast.' Therefore a sheet similar to the one of the fore gaff was rigged.

Finally the tack was lashed to the upper deadeye of the fore stay.

post-504-0-56615200-1458917763_thumb.jpg

down hauler and single sheet

Watching your work through these issues, Peter, provides the rest of us with good instruction on the process of sail-making & rigging.  It's also nice just to admire your work in the pictures.

And I might also mention that in Oklahoma there is an occasional wind (as in constantly).  ;)

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

The standing jib sail doesn't look too small to my eye Peter, but on its own stands out; are you fitting the Middle Jib and Flying Jib Sails? these are somewhat larger and where fitted would tend to draw your eye from the jib sail.

Nice idea with the Hanks, and you do have one per cloth strip which seems to be the normal arrangement, although looking at some contemporary models and drawings there does seem to be somewhat more than you have rigged, are your strips to scale?

Having said that your arrangement looks good to me and I love the shot of the jib sail with the photo enlarged.

Nice work, Peter.

B.E.

Hi Peter

Wonderful progress you are making.

I noticed that you have added further belay points to the Pawl bit assembly - good thinking!!

Föhn? It's an interesting phenomenon.

It only seems to provide the nasty headaches on the Northern side of the Alps. Down in the Ticino I never had any problems - but there again, life in the Ticino is much more laid back - so no stress anyway - and the Merlot tastes better!!!

Research?

I've re-ordered Mr Hartlands Seamanship in the age of sail from my local Library - and I was delighted to find they also stock your recommended Mr Lee's Masting and Rigging etc.

I also noted that Peter Goodwin's Granado was a good source of info - so I went crazy and ordered that which arrived yesterday.

That is a fasinating book indeed, all the details of the sails that I was looking for and, as you know, so much more besides. What I cannot believe is that, with all the detail shown in the book, the only thing missing is.......... any belay plans. Every other minute detail is listed so I cannot quite understand this .... .........Angry Growl !!!!!!!!

Still, the book is going to be really useful when I do start to build my Granado next year sometimes...

Regards

John

Hi Martin

I Just read, that Oklahoma lies in the tornado alley. Well, I'd rather have a little Föhn-induced headaches than a twister trying to screw the same off.

Hi B.E.

Good question about the strips. Checking Lees again, I found that indeed the standard width of the cloth was 24'' which results in my 9,3mm. But he also mentions that in the 19th century often 18'' strips were used for jibs and general for fore and aft sails. Changing the strip with for the fore stay sail would need 2 strips more and so provide room for 2 hanks more. I will change to 18'' strips but only for the next build. For Pickles jib and outer jib I will use up the 'existing' 24'' cloth.

Hi John

The connection between Föhn and headaches is still debated, however I wouldn't debate the quality of the Merlot del Ticino although merlot from the north is by all means drinkable.  

What a astonishing library you have! And if you check the last part of Lees you will find some helpful belaying plans there.

Cheers

peter

Thanks Peter

I look forward to Lee's book.

Yes, I am very lucky with the Library here - pure coincidence about the modelling books I think!

Re Merlot? Yes, it's OK in the North, although Dole or even Maienfelder was nice.

However, you just can't beat sipping a good Boccalino of Merlot del Ticino, sitting in the sunshine in Ascona overlooking the lake - unless it's another good Boccalino of Merlot del Ticino followed by a Restretto and a good local Grappa - oh happy days indeed!!!!

Meanwhile back to model making I guess!

Edited by JRB9019

• 2 weeks later...

Jib

The sail itself was rather quickly done. But when checking its size and form the jib stay parted at the eye and was beyond repair. A new one had to be made and put up through all the existing rope work. Fortunately that work could be done in the wharf and not on the open sea in some weather.

The sail was made similar to the fore stay sail. The peak halyard was set up in a mirrored fashion. The way to attach the fixed end and the necessary block was not fully clear. They are either on the mast or somewhere under the crosstrees, depending on source. Finally I opted for a simple solution as Pickle should be an unpretentious ship. The standing part was simply hitched around the forward crosstree. The halyard then leads through the peak block and back through a block slung under the opposite crosstree leg and down to the pin rack behind the mast.

post-504-0-19104300-1459969133_thumb.jpg

the right block is the jib's peak block, the left one the fixed block for the fore stay sail halyard

post-504-0-42932800-1459969134_thumb.jpg

The down hauler was set up similar to the stay sail.

The sheets however are double with a sheet block in each short end. How to set up the pendants was a tricky question. According Lees usually the knightheads on the bow were used but Pickle doesn't have any. In Lees' book a belaying plan of ship from 1850 shows some cleats on the inside of the capping rail in the bow. As such cleats were already used for the backstays I added four more forward of the fore mast. Ringbolts for the standing end are set into the waterways below those cleats. The pendant of the sheet is now hitched to the ringbolt(with a knot for attaching a line to a ringbolt I found in the internet - setting this up was the most difficult bit of the whole sail). Marquardt talks of splicing it but this seemed a bit too definite to me.

post-504-0-17259600-1459969132_thumb.jpg

cleat and ringbolt for the sheet pendant in front of the carronade

post-504-0-94410500-1459969130_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-55845100-1459969135_thumb.jpg

There are still a lot of loose lines which I will definitely stow when also the remaining outer jib is in place.

Peter -- I love these details. I see you even used some hooks to belay the rigging to the ring bolts -- Very Nice!

And, yes, we do get the occasional tornado through here, and we're entering that time of year when they spring up.  A curious detail, though, is that they tend to pass either to the south or north of my town, so there will be a lot of roaring and banging, but so far no actual levelling of houses.  Even when they're a full ten miles away, they can be scary.  And that's why most houses here come with either a safe room (as in my case, which is where I have the boatyard set up) or underground shelters known in the local parlance as Scaredy Holes or Fraidy Shelters.

The very first bottle of wine I drank in its entirety was a Merlot del Ticino, though it wasn't in Lugano but in Verzasca Valley, just after I dove off the Ponte dei Salti.  The water was cold, as I recall, and the wine helped me recover.

The more important matter is the Pickle, and the research you've put into her.  Great work!

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

The very first bottle of wine I drank in its entirety was a Merlot del Ticino, though it wasn't in Lugano but in Verzasca Valley, just after I dove off the Ponte dei Salti. 

Well, there you go Martin - something to put on your 'Bucket List' - "Go to Switzerland, enjoy a bottle of Merlot del Ticino. Note - DO NOT jump in to Lago Maggiore unless it's mid-summer!!!!!

P.S. Sorry for highjacking your log Peter!!

Peter,

Pickle looks fantastic.

I just found out that my Lee's book has arrived at the library, so I'll be picking that up tomorrow!!!

Re the Cleats near the Carronades, you may remember I added a photo of this from my collection. I thought that the rings were belaying the sheets, so your posting has confirmed this. Thanks.

Onwards and upwards.

John

Hi Martin

Very considerate of your admiralty to allow you to reserve the safest place in your house for your ships! ;) Well, my yard is in the basement as well but not in the shelter. My (compulsory) shelter is in my neighbours house. She uses it as a wine cellar which will be a great benefit if we ever have to sit out an air raid there.

I hope you didn't have to drink that bottle entirely on your own - merlot or not. But you earned it with the jump from that bridge. (I couldn't do that with my fear of heights.)

Thanks for the compliments - building Pickle really is much more fun than expected.

Hi John

No problem. Martin's jump was actually from an old bridge into an ice cold rivulet about 15m below it. Wow.

And there would be much more fine Swiss wines to try!

Yep - I forgot that picture. And the line is actually spliced to the ringbolt - the whole business with that special knot was not necessary. But I will repeat it for the outer jib and hope it's a valuable alternative.

Cheers

peter

And there would be much more fine Swiss wines to try!

Yep - I forgot that picture. And the line is actually spliced to the ringbolt - the whole business with that special knot was not necessary. But I will repeat it for the outer jib and hope it's a valuable alternative.

Peter

Re. Wines - yes indeed there are some very fine Swiss wines - the white's are particulaly good - Aigle Murrailles, Yvonne spring to mind....

re Pickle - I noted your "splicing" comment. Are you saying that I am going to have to learn that now as well? I was just going to tie the sheet onto the ring - a Bowline sprung to mind - I think they had been invented by then!!!!

Hi John

Of course you could learn to splice in 1/64 - and then possibly move on to a career in microsurgery. Or you could perhaps use the same 'false splice' I picked up in this forum (page 11 in this topic). I find it looks good enough and is quickly done.

So, you already know and like the lizard wine! Now you only have to master fondue cooking, yodelling and money laundering and you're well on your way to become a honorary Swiss. :)

Cheers

peter

Peter,

I've had another look at my photo's.

I have enlarged one of the photo's as it shows how the sheet has been attached to the bolt-ring just behind the bow - and also shows the whipping of the rope.

post-2632-0-75490700-1460240865_thumb.jpg

Hope it helps

John

Just catching up Peter, excellent progress.

I like your approach to setting the sails, even with all that booze.

Not too far to go now mate, maybe time to set your mind to the future.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thank you John. Those pictures are a great help.

Mobbsie, thanks and the booze is no problem as long as I have enough and am still abble to hit allll the rigth keylkjbecfduzlvcgssssssssssss :cheers:

And yes, to the future and beyond - as Capt'n Jack Sparrow probably would declare. My mind is set for the Americas - in singular.

Cheers

peter

Outer jib

Perhaps a bit regretful I took the last sail in hand. Working on that build really was fun and now the finish line is pretty close.

The only problem this sail presented was to find out a fitting size for it. After trials with differently sized paper sails, I opted for a medium size with the peak reaching up to the height of the fore mast cap.

post-504-0-77658300-1460746662_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-10637900-1460746661_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-02338200-1460747123_thumb.jpg

The rope work is similar to the jib except that the tack is hooked to the traveller. While setting this up I found a remark in Lees' book that the down hauler of the outer jib has a second duty as in hauler of the traveller. This worked fine and I could remove the previously fixed in hauler.

post-504-0-10520100-1460746665_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-28216700-1460746670_thumb.jpg

While working on the sheets I also started to clean up and belay all those loose ends as the completely set up jib sheets are restricting the access to the fore deck.

post-504-0-08951600-1460746660_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-18327000-1460746668_thumb.jpg

The anchors - I bought a second identical one from Caldercraft - were completed while the glued sail was drying. To imitate the bolts holding the anchor stock together I just drilled small holes into the wood, smeared a mixture of black colour and glue over them and scratched the excess away.  I've seen this method used to imitate treenails and it works fine. The iron bands are made from cartridge paper.

post-504-0-91296200-1460746658_thumb.jpg

Now the anchors have to be attached to the cable and stowed. Finally the small boat must be detailed and both boats must securely be stowed between the masts.

It's great to see the sail set. Well done, done well!

Tony

Terrific work, Peter, as always.  Those sails really do create a sense of a living ship! 

If the end is approaching on this delightful build, what thoughts do you have for the next project?

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Terrific work, Peter, as always.  Those sails really do create a sense of a living ship! 

If the end is approaching on this delightful build, what thoughts do you have for the next project?

Cheers,

Martin

Yes Peter, I was starting to wonder the same thing.

With your skills, I can imagine you building Diane or Fly - they look fantastic. I saw a model of Diane at the Jotika factory - it's a beautiful thing indeed....

:blush: Thanks everybody for the compliments. :blush:

@B.E.

Considering what an astonishing build you make of Pegasus I especially value your opinion. Pickles rig proportions are mainly those of the proposed rig for the Adonis class in Marquardts book. This book really is a great help.

@Tony

The next project will also have all sails set. I'm hooked.

@Martin & John

The next project is Mamoli's schooner yacht America. If the rumour sadly is true that Mamoli goes out of business I got probably one of the last kits.

I like the graceful lines of that vessel as well as her history. I mean, she is not less than a forerunner of Alinghi. ;)

I will however try to improve the kit a bit. It comes in 1/66 which should be close enough to 1/64 to allow the use of Amati and Caldercraft parts on America. The coppering will be Amaty and from them and CC I hope to get metal davits and boats. Also rigging thread and other small parts may be replaced.

I promised a friend to make a model for dust collection in his office. We choose this because, although he is no sailor at all, he has some family connections to the US.

John - Diana is in fact on my list of probable next builds. If Surprise is still not on the market in a year or so, I might start on Diana. Fly on the other hand is no option as I have already her sister ship Pegasus collecting dust in the living room.

Cheers

peter

Peter - Pegasus looks interesting - at some time in future - in a galaxy far, far away!!

I am still stuck on trying to work out and understand the running rigging for Pickle!!!

Re running rigging, I was interesting in seeing the lines that you had set around the Jibs / Outer Jibs (posting 279 - pictures 2 & 5).

Can you tell me more?

John

Congrats to completing your lovely  "Pickle" Peter,

a beautiful built ship, and the nice full suit of sails give her just the right look.....

For your coming project I thiink the yacht "America" is a great choise, I fell in love with her lines once and started scratch buiiding the model, the hull had to be sold though, due to it`s size. Am looking very much forward to your begin , resp. keellaying....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi John

Galaxies aren't that far away anymore as they used to be! Who knows, you might find a suitable wormhole.

Trying to understand rigging is almost as complicated as to understand women. The enormous difference however is that there are handbooks for rigging while on the other hand a working handbook for women.....  :unsure::blink:  :wub:

Do you mean the bolt ropes around each sail? According to those rigging handbooks a boltrope was sewn around each sail to strengthen it and to provide means to attach ropes to the sail and the sail to the yards. The strength of the boltrope varies according to the size of the sail and the position on it (top, foot). You should find the details for example in Lees book. As an average value and because I had it and it looked right I took 0,5 natural thread for the boltropes on all of pickle sails.

First the edges and all the seams of the sail were drawn with pencil onto both sides of the cotton. Then I gave an extra 3mm around it for the hem. This is too wide and out of scale but I wanted to be sure that the whole sail holds. The sail was now cut and the corners of the hem trimmed to allow it to lie flat. The hem was then folded over in a 'dry run' and the boltrope laid into the hem. The hem was now glued with a textile glue. Don't forget to give some extra rope length on the corners for the cringles. Now the linings or tablings were glued onto the sail and eventual reef lines added. Make sure the tablings are on the correct side. When the glue was dry the whole sail was ironed to fix the glue and straighten the sail.

With this method a sail is rather easily done and quickly finished and it my opinion looks more to scale that those made painstakingly on a sewing machine where most of the time the seams are too prominent. Warning: While there is no question about the longevity of sewn sails I have no idea if and when glued hems may come apart again because glue may change with age.

See also my post #215. This sail making method was found somewhere in the MSW techniques and research section.

Cheers

peter

Thank you very much Nils, but the congratulations may be a bit premature. I still have to finish the little dinghy and then the boats must be stowed.

But I'm really looking forward to 'go west', to America.

peter

Peter

Many thanks for the detailed information as usual.

Actually, I was referring to the lines that seem to be coming away from the Fore/Jib Stays.

I've attached an extract from your photo to show what I mean - so NOT the sheets that are fed through the blocks, the other ones, if you see what I mean!!!

post-2632-0-13441700-1461346806.jpg

Regards

John

Ah, I was a bit longwinded - as my daughters kindly keep telling me again and again.

I think you mean in fact the sheets. They are doubled and because the sails overlap the windward sheet or better its tackle leads around the stay - the sheet itself remains hidden between the sails.

Perhaps it's a bit clearer on that shot between the sails.

post-504-0-17783100-1461350788_thumb.jpg

peter

Peter,

Indeed a splendid job. Your pencil "stitching" for the sails was very clever. Sails, that in your build are so well scaled really add to your build. Your next build will certainly has LARGE sails (;-) PS: Nice choice if you decide on that one.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

boat(s)      

Besides the details according to the manual the yawl got a more sophisticated floorRow locks are on both sides and a mast bracket and clamp as well as a simple mast step are added. Two bundles of  oars and the boats hook are stowed on the thwarts and the rudder and the grapnel below them. The yawl is stowed in the cutter and both are lashed to the deck. This should be more stable than a lashing to the boats stand as the manual suggests - I think the whole arrangement could then come adrift in just a lively sea.

post-504-0-40720000-1461699342_thumb.jpg

The anchor cable takes a small detour around the boat stand. This shouldn't be a problem as there is no tension in it aft of the windlass.

post-504-0-92939300-1461699344_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-10686400-1461699344_thumb.jpg

Pickle is now finished. Those sailors are just tidying a few lines to make the schooner ready for the final shots.