Scottish Maid by mrangus - Artesania Latina - first build

Looking great! Maybe all the rat line tying will come in handy someday! Probably for making more ship models ;).

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks guys.... I hope so George. It's definitely a test of patience.

Elijah, I laughed when I read your comment - you're right - the best use of that skill is when I build another boat!

Below is my sister's Christmas card - they visited L'Hermione in period dress which surprised/delighted the crew.

post-4074-0-70548100-1450750094_thumb.jpg

Now that's a fun Christmas card! :)

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

• 2 weeks later...

Well after several weeks of patience, I've completed the ratlines. Well almost. I have to finish the ratlne steps that are near the ends of the shrouds - two each on the remaining three. And the good news is I finally had enough rope. Sorry Chuck...

This is a bit of a milestone so I'm happy. Took a bit longer than expected (as always). Well onward and upward, now I can concentrate on yards and booms. Still trying to figure out the sail configuration... I also have a lot of detail/cleanup work to do - rope coiling, fixing/finishing small stuff... but will enjoy this milestone for a day and then move forward.

post-4074-0-93998600-1451790698_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-69475900-1451790701_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-66699200-1451790704_thumb.jpg

She's beautiful Robb! Must feel great to see how all your hard work paid off. If you place your right hand on your left shoulder and your left hand on the right, it should feel like someone is hugging you. Well done.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Your rigging looks really good Robb.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

• 2 months later...

Well I had planned on taking a few weeks break after my milestone... which turned into a couple of months. So I've been slowly working on the yards/boom/etc in prep for the final push to put it all together. Here's where I've gotten. As you can see I tried to create the goosenecks (like Jesse did) and after many attempts, some of which you see below, I abandoned the effort.

I decided to put on rope jackstays - I liked the look of Jesse's jackstays, and thought I'd try something a little different. I have the small yard's loops in place, will serve the ends and rig like other ropes to fixed points. Why change what works.

I'm still at odds with the sails. I keep thinking I'll furl most of the sails and have one or two sails unfurled. But which ones? I have no idea how that actually works on a ship. I'm sure 'it depends' but any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

post-4074-0-21281400-1458704560_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-01407100-1458704561_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-60203500-1458704561_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-23295800-1458704562_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-76201600-1458704578_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-42125500-1458704579_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-99441200-1458704579_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-53254800-1458704580_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-19278100-1458704602_thumb.jpg

Good to see you back in the shipyard!

Jesse

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Welcome back! Nice progress!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Was looking for more expert advice than mine. I have seen in pictures & some movies where just the bottom main sail was out but I have seen just a few top sails are used. I think it depends on what they are wanting the ship to do & what the prevailing winds are..????

Jesse

Looking great as always Robb! Ahh the sails...well I've spent countless hours trying to figure this one out. I'm with Jesse on the "it depends." Wind, heading, size of ship, all come into play. I found google images helpful. Just typed in type of ship and then changed terms, full sails, furled sails, etc. Hope that helps. Also add 'aerial view' to get a better feel of the wind.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Looks good!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

• 2 weeks later...

Wire keeps its shape & holds everything in place but I always use rope.

Jesse

• 1 month later...

More progress. Have been going slow as I've been involved in a various activities unrelated to this project. I'm getting really close to putting it all together - Yards all done except the lower yard. If you look closely, I put a brass rail on the lower yard and I like the look. I plan on keeping the rope on the upper yards.

I completed the foot ropes with stirrups, which was quite challenging until I got a routine down. Used #6 fishing line for the stirrup lines.

I've gotten really good at tying the blocks to the yards. I have the process down to about 10-15 minutes to each block (without rushing).

Made the executive decision to spurn sails on this boat. I just don't have it in me, and want to be able to see the rigging. Will save that part of modeling for another project.

Pictures posted....

post-4074-0-59048700-1464659272_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-81327000-1464659288_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-00460700-1464659290_thumb.jpg

Looking really awesome Robb!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job! The blocks look great!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

• 1 month later...

It's been quite a while since I last posted, but I have been making progress, albeit more slowly than I have in the past. Mostly rigging, which is tricky business, and I end up re-doing much of what I put together a second time. At this point, I just have the yards to install, and then lots of clean-up. I don't think I'm going to put sails on this first ship, maybe I'll change my mind once the rigging is finished but we will see.

See pics of progress:

post-4074-0-22089900-1469414225_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-01317500-1469414229_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-86047700-1469414230_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-51323800-1469414234_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-46727000-1469414248_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-31153100-1469414255_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-95243100-1469414256_thumb.jpg

Good to see an update Robb, she's looking beautiful!

Jesse

Nice job! I'm looking forward to your next update!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Well after careful consideration and looking quite a bit at the model, I've decided to replace the current rigging rope with a lighter and slightly thicker one. the issue I'm having is that I think the rope is a little thin, and it's very hard to see! At the end, I want to be able to see the rigging. So I've ordered Chuck's tan rope one size bigger, which still fits through the sheaves, and going to re-rig the model with that. lots of extra work but I think in the end it will look better.