Cutting Board question

I have never owned a commercially made cutting board. I have always just used a piece of melamine on top of my workbench to work on. I have recently been reading about 'self healing' cutting boards but they seem to be used more for hobbies involving cutting material and cardboard rather than timber. They seem to range in price up to around $80 (depending on size). I am wondering if others use them, are they worth the money, are they durable and which brands are the best quality??? Or am I better off sticking with my melamine board??

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Hornet, I've used a cutting mat for years. Cut wood, plastic, card stock on it. And they're a little insurance, too. Spilled glues and paints on it. Cleaned up OK. I think the mat will protect your blades better than the melamine.

Try out a half page or page size. They're not too dear.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I use them and they work really well.  I don't know how they get to be "self healing", but they really are.  I may have it wrong, but I think about 36" square goes for about $30.  They are durable until you get so much glue, paint, etc., on them that replacement is a good idea.  I'm on my fourth build with the same one.

I have one and I do not know what I did without it. I got it at Hobby Lobby for 20 bucks or so I think. They vary in size and I am thinking of getting one slightly larger. It is a good value.

Russ

They're pretty good at 'healing' a knife cut, but saws and drills leave a permanent defect.

I've used both blue and green, from the art store, Stadtler and Alvin brands, 12 by 18 inches.

Thanks folks, I am convinced. Heading down to the hobby store to get one now!!!

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

I bought one since I did not wish to mar my sisters coffee tables I am using them for a work spot.  I picked up one by X-acto and love it.  I have used when doing my card models and love it.  When I return to Chicago I will try to find a bigger one to put on my work table.  The 12x12 is perfect for the stuff I am doing right now.

David B

I'm cheap.  I have an old bamboo wood cutting board from a garage sale. When it gets chewed up, I just run the orbital sander over it. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have one manufactured by the Alvin company, 18 x 24"  It is double sided, one side is green the other black and it is printed with a 1/2 inch grid, 30 - 60 and 45 degree diagonals, and ruled on the horizontal and vertical to the 1/4 inch.  I have owned it for a while now.  If the first side wears out I'll just flip it over.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Brian.

I ended up getting a Jasart 300 x 450mm self healing mat from Officeworks. Cost me $35. Seems sturdy enough. Link below

post-1505-0-65198700-1424576528_thumb.jpg

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=cutting+mat&storeId=10151&langId=-1&pageSize=24&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Great, you got what you asked for, and it will be useful, believe me.

I was about to mention another source, Hobby Lobby, if there is one in your area. It has one called a '23 x 35 inch Rotary Cutting Mat'. $30.

Seamsters use them all the time, so the price should be better at one of those kind of shops. I bought one eons ago and don't remember what I paid, but they do a good job. Like others mentioned, don't expect them to fill in holes when you drill through it. 
I believe the material is polypropelene which is used in lots of commercial applications. As a plastic it has a tendency to 'fuse' together when minor cuts come through. But don't expect major gaps to be filled. If you were to cut all the way through the mat, I doubt it will come back together again :P

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

If you do head to Hobby Lobby, they have a standing coupon for 40% one item on their website and mobile app. $30 becomes $18. :)

====================================

Currently building: Model Expo AMERICA, A/L KING OF THE MISSISSIPPI

Completed: Mamoli Victory cross-section, Revell LSM (Plastic, in memory of Dad), A/L SANSON tug, MS Longboat (awesome model Chuck!), Dumas 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Racing runabout, A/L SWIFT, MS ELSIE, Constructo ELIDIR (now LOUISE), Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Amati 1:80 Yacht ENDEAVOUR, Mamoli CONSTITUTION cross section, Revell VIIc U-boat (1:72 plastic), lotsa other plastic ships 

Next up: who knows - there are too many to choose from!

Recently just bought a thick cutting board 18x 12 inches at Amazon at 19.99 free shipping..

post-4167-0-44871200-1424742298_thumb.jpg

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)