Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

In need of shipyard workers or boats crewmembers

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

JPZ66

JPZ66
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationBelfair, WA
Wefalck,

Yes I initially thought the same, as the nature of the pose, and my lousy photography ( paper in front of bulb to try and diffuse the light and an older cell phone camera ), do sort of make it appear that way. It does actually measure out properly. The figure is also a little 'stocky' to my eye, and now that we have a printed prototype, I will be discussing a few adjustments with the artist. Neither of us were quite sure just how well the details would hold up in this 28mm size given the printer we used to output it and we are establishing a baseline.

This also illustrates why creators of figures in small scales tend to exaggerate some features - though not correct, to provide what many consider to be a visually appealing look. Sort of like plank nails being shown for effect, when in reality ( for small scales ) you would never see them.

One company, in my opinion, that makes really good looking figures without this sort of distortion, is Preiser. Unfortuntately they don't make figures in this genre that I am aware of.

I appreciate any and all feedback, as the goal is to create good looking figures that people will want to use to crew their ships.
I will be posting more images in the coming weeks and months as we get more figures done.

Thanks,
Joe
  • wefalck, mtaylor and WackoWolf like this
Joe Zappa

Member, Nautical Research Guild & Puget Sound Ship Modelers

WackoWolf

WackoWolf
  • Members
  • 2,732 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

I will be watching and waiting for the updates and pictures. Thank you for do this.

• mtaylor likes this
Wacko
Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

wefalck

wefalck
  • Members
  • 759 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Yes, the Preiser sculpting and anatomy is my benchmark. I have used them for one-off conversions. I cannot stand those garden dwarf-like 'wargaming' figurines - I gather the reason for their stocky built is to provide for more rugged handling during the game, but they are not good for scale models.

• mtaylor, WackoWolf and CaptainSteve like this

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

JPZ66

JPZ66
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationBelfair, WA
Actually, the proportions of most wargames figures are for ease of painting...notice how often you see heavy layers and oversized details on uniforms? ..they do also like to have beefy weapons to help against breakage though and to make the castings a bit easier to produce....I'm told...though I find that to be an excuse. As such, they tend to "swell" the figure to match. I call them caracatures. Sadly it is the accepted 'standard' there.

My goal with these is to keep them on the more proportioned and realistic side as much as possible. ( understand that the digital sculptor I'm working with comes from the gaming side of things :) It is another reason why I value the feedback on the figures when I post pictures. I prefer the scale aesthetic.

Thanks,
Joe
  • mtaylor, WackoWolf and Nirvana like this
Joe Zappa

Captain Poison

Captain Poison
  • Members
  • 103 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale,Florida

https://www.woodenmo...?v=7516fd43adaa

• mtaylor likes this
Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48
L'Herminione 1:96

Current Project: Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

JPZ66

JPZ66
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationBelfair, WA
The next figure I'm working up is going to be a crewman in rowing pose ( actually, going to create a couple different, but similar poses / dress for this )
Expect an update in a few weeks on this one.
Also, I should have the 35mm figure back in a day or so to inspect. That will work nicely for 1/50-1/48 scale.

Thanks all,

Joe
  • mtaylor and WackoWolf like this
Joe Zappa

captain71

captain71
  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationShasta County, Northern California

I usually deal with ships around or at 1/200th.
I make my own figures out of plastic styrine.
These figures include muskets (for fighting top Marines and gun deck Marines) sailors and marines climbing the ratlines, sailors in the crow-nest with telescopes or hand over mouth shouting down to the main deck and pointing, bearded, mustached, and clean shaven figures, gun crews with powder bucket, lighting the fuses, loading the cannon balls, and swabbing out the barrels, crewmen swabbing the decks,.  also have made ship musicians consisting of a guitar and/or banjo player, harmonica player, squeeze-box player,fiddler, fifer, vocalists, sailors dancing the jig, and drummers ( marines pounding "General Quarters". Sailors and officers covered and uncovered in various poses to include laying on their racks or hammocks in the interior of the ship in various modes of dress and undress, oar rowers, coxswains, carpenters, sail makers, ship cooks, captains and other officers, sailors on the masts rigging in or letting out sails, bos'n's, master of arms, armed sailors and Marines in various poses (such as side guards, inspections, hand and saber salutes, reading of orders,deck battles and /or battle training)
I make the sailors and marines weapons from muskets, flintlock pistols, blunderbusses, pikes, sabers, cutlasses, swords, daggers, belaying pins, etc.
I have made the cannons, swivel guns,  cannon chassis's, powder buckets, anchors, ratlines, fighting tops, crows nests,masts, yards, block and tackle, thread rigging, ship wheels, rudder control steering, compasses, capstans, heads, ( which makles me wonder why the poop deck is on the stern but on large sailing ships the heads were over the bow,)fore top ladders, boarding ladders, railings, deck drains protected main deck musket ports, cannon ports, paper flags, lanterns, hatch covers, long, life, and row boats, barges, rudders of all sizes, stern and side davits, iron pots, stoking poles,  deck houses and below deck entries from the main deck, skylights,  plates rum bottles, kegs, flasks, water barrels with open lids and water, dippers, crewmen drinking and eating, wooden eating and cooking utensils, food, fish being cleaned and gutted, crewmen smoking or holding clay pipes, doing laundry, tubs, tables chairs,cabin fireplaces and chimneys to the deck stacks, sea chests, beds (officers quarters,) tea pots, glasses, mugs, candlesticks and holders, uniform coats folded over chairs or hanging, boots, officer and seamen hats,open deck brick warming pits with ashes and or fire,smoke, galley stacks,windows ( to include frames and panes), etc.
All crew member figure uniforms are painted to include shoulder epaulettes, shirts, scarves, belts, buckles, buttons, sword sheathes, cartridge boxes, cargo boxes, with brushes, needles, or toothpicks. 
It takes alot of time, patience, swearing dropping small items from tweezers, more swearing, especially when heat and cold shaping small objects such as cup, pot, handles.)
It's cheaper than purchasing all of these things and is fun, You are only limited by your imagination and patience.

I'd like to see your work. Got any pictures ?

• mtaylor and WackoWolf like this

JPZ66

JPZ66
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationBelfair, WA
Just a quick note.....we have been making some fine tuning adjustments on the 3D printer, and the test figure is more sharply defined. Additionally, we have done output in 32mm, 35mm and 54mm. In 54mm, you can even see the wood grain in the axe handle quite nicely ! We are going to run some tests on even smaller scales soon as well.

Aardvark Miniatures, LLC should be releasing some of the first figures at the beginning of 2017.

-Joe
  • trippwj, mtaylor, WackoWolf and 3 others like this
Joe Zappa

WackoWolf

WackoWolf
  • Members
  • 2,732 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Let us know when you have all the kinks worked out, we will be waiting.

• mtaylor likes this
Wacko
Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Dupree Allen

Dupree Allen
  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationClarksville, AR

This may be old news, but I discovered large collection of figures in several scales on this website

http://www.taubmansonline.com 

With a little paint touchup it appears that nearly any period can be achieved.

Dupree

• mtaylor likes this

Dupree

"A slow steady hand conquers a fast shaky mind" - me

HMS Triton 1:32 Cross Section

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.