Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Revell Bismarck 1/350 upgrade sets

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Kevin Ma

Kevin Ma
  • Members
  • 1 posts

I have seen two rlly good upgrade sets for the revell Bismarck 1/350......

they are the Lions Roar set and pontos set

Pontos-$200

Lions Roar-$100

Which one is better?

thanks

Greg Lester

Greg Lester
  • Members
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationCanberra
Kev, you may be better off reading the online reviews and comparing the parts included, as some are designed for specific manufacturers
  • mtaylor, WackoWolf, docidle and 1 other like this

Greg

Current build IJN Yamato

Completed build: HMB Endeavour

http://modelshipworl...er-al-complete/

Protected Cruiser Varyag

http://modelshipworl...oetch-complete/

SMS Emden

http://modelshipworl...plete/?hl=emden

HMS Dreadnought

http://modelshipworl...plete/?p=417994

docidle

docidle
  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • LocationArizona USA
Kevin,

If I had choose between those two sets, then I would go with the Pontos set. That being said, both of those sets are really delicate and you need a very light hand when working with them. The wood deck is nice, but the Revell kit already has a one piece deck, so the wood deck is redundant if you can paint a convincing deck.

I have the Eduard sets for my Revell 1/350 Tirpitz and I am happy with them. I agree with Greg though, check out online reviews before you purchase anything, because both of those PE sets are expensive.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Edit: another thing you should know is that Pontos and Lions Roar instructions are somewhat difficult to follow and not complete. You will need to do your research in regards to the placement of parts. I prefer Eduard's instruction but if you know your ship then you'll be able to figure out where things go.

Edited by docidle, 05 February 2016 - 04:30 AM.

• WackoWolf, Greg Lester and Canute like this

Current Build: Merit 1/48 Early Eco 80' PT Boat and Imai 1/50 Catalan Ship

Finished:

Revell 1/196 USS Constitution (My oldest son's school project)
Revell 1/72 Hanse Kogge
Revell 1/50 Viking Ship
Revell 1/72 U-Boat
Zvezda 1/72 English Medieval Ship Thomas

Revell 1/90 The Nina

TK1

TK1
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Hi Kevin,

I have the Pontos set and can't complain about it.  It's made for the Revell kit and although I am yet to start it, all parts look excellent and well made/thought out.  Can't wait to get into it after my current builds - one of which is the HMS Warspite with Pontos set, and it's excellent with good fit and really enhances the look.

I haven't heard a bad review on it - the only detraction I've read is that some of the parts are tiny, and need folding/joining, so it does need a steady hand and PE experience.  

Worth having some PE tools too, I've picked up the PE benders and rollers from thesmallshop.com. and couldn't live 

without them.

Regards,

Darren

• WackoWolf, Canute and daddyrabbit1954 like this

Current Builds:

- 1/350 USS Benson (1941 configuration)

- 1/350 HMS Warspite (1942 configuration)

- A new workshop...

Last Builds Completed:

- Steam Tug Henry Moss 1906 1/24

- MV Krait 1943 1/24

- 1/72 USS Skipjack

daddyrabbit1954

daddyrabbit1954
  • Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

...Worth having some PE tools too, I've picked up the PE benders and rollers from thesmallshop.com...

Regards,

Darren

Darren

Thanks for providing that link. I had no idea where to find those tools, as I have been away from doing plastic models for some years now and haven't kept up with things.

What I need as well is a good set of lighted magnifying glasses for the really small stuff. I've been checking out Amazon and they have a number of options.

Regards

Craig

• mtaylor, WackoWolf and Canute like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.