1966 Ford Galaxie 500 Stock Car - AMT - 1:25 Scale

CDW

Some of the favorite memories of my youth was attending the annual Daytona Firecracker 400 races with my parents, family, and friends each July 4th at the super speedway at Daytona Beach, Florida. The whole sight, sounds, smells, and feeling deep in the pit of your stomach as the powerful engines roared past the grandstands was exciting beyond belief. Watching these similar races today on television does not do justice to replacing the experience of being there in person. Even though 1966 was almost 55 years ago, these cars were incredibly fast back then, easily topping speeds of well over 200 MPH as they charged down the long straightaways. Those images will always be in my mind.

This particular model is very similar to the ones campaigned by some very famous drivers, but the decals that come with the kit are generic in nature, not actual. Tiny Lund raced in car number 24 in 1966 to an 8th place finish. I may order the decals for this car but have not decided for sure yet. 

IMG_1277.thumb.jpg.57cef1585ff8eae0f2f85392c1906b87.jpg

Just stringing my hammock 😏 I'm in!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Oh yeah, now your getting to my era..... I used to own a '67 galaxie 500 way back in the day..... Mine had the 351 small block windsor engine, but the 428 was a powerful car.....

Ford was heavy into racing back them, just as heavy as Chrysler.....

Oh yeah, there's my comfy seat, I'm in....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Same here. The Galaxy was the family car. I was never really into NASCAR except when they raced on the local road racing tracks, but the sound of the engines and on some tracks the speed was much the same as in CanAm racing.

Looking for a spare beam to set up on. I'll try not to drool down onto your work space.:blush:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, CDW said:

My preference for circle/oval track racing over the twisting, winding road courses is strictly from an observer's/fan's point of view. I could see the entire track from the grandstands, but at Sebring, could only see what was directly in front of me. Not nearly as entertaining.

Ah! but now they have huge screens following the action on the parts you can't see, well over here in the UK anyway, but I would of thought the US does as well. 

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Yes they do. One brand is Jumbo-tron. I know there is a setup at Charlotte (NC) Motor Speedway, and most of the other big tracks that the NASCAR Cup series run on.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

The closet I got to these beasts was the television.  <sigh>  Count me in as well as the popcorn machine.  nootjes_en_popcorn_31.gif.58eccefa8dd1f16ba5986979be7e4877.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

My favorite was attending the Formula 1 Grand Prix at Watkins Glen every fall for a number of years. We did not sit in the stands. We started at the Start/Finish line, walked the outfield side of the track stopping here and there to photograph the cars at speed,  crossed into infield thru pedestrian tunnels under the course for more photos, stopping at the chicane for more photos, passing again under the track back to the outfield, finally getting back to the Start/Finish line  as the race ended.  Great time until Uncle Sam said he wanted me.  Left the area after that and didn't get back.  

I was a huge NASCAR fan back in the 60's.  I still have my autograph book with many of the drivers from 1961 to 1963.  I got their autograph when they would come to the old Richmond Fairgrounds Raceway 1/2 mile dirt track. They used to let us cross over the track after the race and we would be able to talk to the drivers and crews.

I do hope you order some after market decals and make a representation of one of the cars from that era.  The Wood Brothers, Junior Johnson and many other teams fielded these cars.  Maybe even do an independent like Wendell Scott.  Lot of choices.

I also got to see my first Daytona race in 2017.  Wish I had attended back in the 70's to see my favorites.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Just now, Ryland Craze said:

I was a huge NASCAR fan back in the 60's.  I still have my autograph book with many of the drivers from 1961 to 1963.  I got their autograph when they would come to the old Richmond Fairgrounds Raceway 1/2 mile dirt track. They used to let us cross over the track after the race and we would be able to talk to the drivers and crews.

I do hope you order some after market decals and make a representation of one of the cars from that era.  The Wood Brothers, Junior Johnson and many other teams fielded these cars.  Maybe even do an independent like Wendell Scott.  Lot of choices.

I also got to see my first Daytona race in 2017.  Wish I had attended back in the 70's to see my favorites.

The Firecracker 400 races always required lots of drinking water to keep from dehydrating in the July sun, and lots of suntan lotion. Back then, it was no problem to bring in coolers with your own drinks. NASCAR races were awesome! My Dad took me to lots of local races as well, asphalt tracks and dirt tracks. Interestingly, that led to to love drag racing as well, but my Dad was never a fan of that. 

Back around the same '60's era, my Dad and older brothers bought a racing go kart that we campaigned locally until my Mom realized how dangerous it was and cut our water off. That little twin engine go kart (Dart Kart) would do well over 100 mph in a straightaway. Twin Westbend racing engines. Light as a feather. 

15 hours ago, CDW said:

I could see the entire track from the grandstands, but at Sebring, could only see what was directly in front of me. Not nearly as entertaining.

True at the beginning of the race, but as the race progressed the cars would get more strung out and there would be an almost constant string of cars going by. Yes you would have to wait a few minutes for the lead cars to go by but there was plenty to see and hear further back in the pack as well.

In sports and prototype races there was also a huge mixture in types of cars on the track at the same time and each car sometimes had a far different sound than the car before it. There is a considerable difference between the big block American engines and the sound of a Ferrari V12 or Porsche engine. And there were the smaller Dino's and Alfa's and many others as well. Then there were the CanAm cars. All the roar of NASCAR but the exotic looks of prototype cars. Like Jack we tended to travel around the track when possible rather than just sit in the bleachers for hours at a time. Didn't get to go often but the memories are still fresh. I was even able to get  to Sebring once. (Only time in my life) Watched Sterling Moss go through the pits at about one hundred miles an hour! I forgot why he did it but he was penalized several minutes for doing it. I think that race was also the first time I ever saw Jim Hall race, but the Chaparral looked nothing like the Chaparral 2 he drove to victory a couple of years later. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I try and get to at least two BTTC races each season, mainly Donington Park,season opener and mid season at Oulton Park. 

Current builds;

Completed:

Since Ryland mentioned the Woods Brothers, I wanted to mention my favorite race of all time was one where David Pearson ran 2nd place in the Woods Brothers Mercury behind a Mopar, can't recall now if it was Richard Petty or someone else. On the final lap of the 400 mile race, Pearson slingshot past the lead car in the 2nd turn to win. It was just incredibly exciting and skillful driving by Pearson.

As the cars blazed down the straightaway in front of the grandstands, the high pitch scream of the engines could be heard, Chevrolet (GM), Mopar being high pitched. But the Ford engines were long strokers who had a very distinctive sound. Lower pitched, lower RPM's and much more throaty sounding. Loved it! David Pearson was one of my all time favorite drivers, but Richard Petty was awesome as well. 

Awesome, I'm in!  I saw a Ford Galaxy in an episode of Counting Cars.  Really sharp looking car - understated powerful look.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Since Ryland mentioned the Woods Brothers, I wanted to mention my favorite race of all time was one where David Pearson ran 2nd place in the Woods Brothers Mercury behind a Mopar, can't recall now if it was Richard Petty or someone else. On the final lap of the 400 mile race, Pearson slingshot past the lead car in the 2nd turn to win. It was just incredibly exciting and skillful driving by Pearson.

As the cars blazed down the straightaway in front of the grandstands, the high pitch scream of the engines could be heard, Chevrolet (GM), Mopar being high pitched. But the Ford engines were long strokers who had a very distinctive sound. Lower pitched, lower RPM's and much more throaty sounding. Loved it! David Pearson was one of my all time favorite drivers, but Richard Petty was awesome as well. 

It was the 1974 Firecracker 400. Entering the final lap, Pearson was leading followed closely by Petty. Fearing that Petty would do a slingshot pass, he slowed a little, pulled his car off to the side to simulate a blown motor, and threw his hand up in the air as a motion of defeat. Petty quickly passed opening a lead of several car lengths exiting turn 2. Using the draft, Pearson closed in quickly down the backstretch and through turns 3 and 4 and drew right behind Petty. Coming out of the final corner, Pearson pulled to the inside and did a slingshot pass back to win the race by a car length...

Considered one of the greatest races Nascar ever ran.....

The drivers gave him the nickname "The Silver Fox" after that race.... not too many drivers could say they outraced Richard Petty for a win.... (especially during Petty's dominant period)

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

17 minutes ago, Egilman said:

It was the 1974 Firecracker 400. Entering the final lap, Pearson was leading followed closely by Petty. Fearing that Petty would do a slingshot pass, he slowed a little, pulled his car off to the side to simulate a blown motor, and threw his hand up in the air as a motion of defeat. Petty quickly passed opening a lead of several car lengths exiting turn 2. Using the draft, Pearson closed in quickly down the backstretch and through turns 3 and 4 and drew right behind Petty. Coming out of the final corner, Pearson pulled to the inside and did a slingshot pass back to win the race by a car length...

Considered one of the greatest races Nascar ever ran.....

The drivers gave him the nickname "The Silver Fox" after that race.... not too many drivers could say they outraced Richard Petty for a win.... (especially during Petty's dominant period)

Yes! That was it! I distinctly recall that Pearson ran 2nd place for almost the entire race and pulled it out at the very end. Greatest race I ever witnessed.

Big, interesting personalities back then. Waltrip, Earnhardt,Wallace, etc. Nowadays they seem all button-down corporation fronts. Too bad.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Have done some basic things to start off the build sequence for this model...removed molded on chrome trim, sanded, primed, sanded, primed, sanded, painted, then sanded some more on the car body. The color scheme is quite simple, a white body with a red top. The headlight and tail light covers will also be red. The steel wheels will be black. The decal scheme will be for the Harvest Ford, #41, driven by Curtis Turner. The decal sheet is on order and I am at the mercy of the post office. They will hopefully arrive in another week.

IMG_1294.thumb.jpg.b5f5cfcc7e33e60905d55963e32a5312.jpgIMG_1295.thumb.jpg.312ce2035c3c7ece5aab960782d77aa6.jpgIMG_1296.thumb.jpg.d42ff5f8a77432569997e551876ba959.jpg

This is how I wire a distributor. Just drill out the distributor cap and super glue pre-colored wiring in place.

IMG_1290.thumb.jpg.074a91f391a66d473c8bccc7686eca25.jpgIMG_1291.thumb.jpg.7ba3087df26b5d6e0c84d28fcc36254e.jpg

Here is the massive Ford 427 cubic inch single overhead cam racing engine. A huge black air filter/breather will sit on top of the manifold/carburetor. 

IMG_1292.thumb.jpg.fd4040c0d745e110385ac7841a9a686d.jpgIMG_1293.thumb.jpg.e1df24fc3d3f61fcdc3b0f7afb513e78.jpg

That's all for now.  

Speaking of being at the mercy of the post office...

Over a month ago I ordered several models from an individual up north. They quickly mailed out the kits and provided a tracking number. About a week later, the tracking indicated the package arrived at my zip code post office. That was early on a Friday morning, so I guessed they would probably deliver the package on the next day, Saturday. It didn't arrive Saturday, so I figured no problem, it will be here Monday or Tuesday. Monday and Tuesday came and went past, nothing. Another day went by and I checked the tracking again. This time it said the package was in transit. This same message went on for another few days, then next time it said the package was in New York. Huh? Then the package said in transit again while another few days went by. Next it said the package had arrived at my zip code post office again. A couple days go by with no package and when I looked again, it said the shipping label had insufficient information to deliver it to me and had been returned to the sender. Sigh. So I write the sender and advise them to be on the lookout for the returned package then we could retry with a fresh label. Several days go by and I check the tracking. Now it says the package was left at my mailbox on a specific day and time. It wasn't. I have a full time video surveillance camera system at my home so I go to the time and date they claimed they delivered it and it was not delivered. I later went to my zip code post office and spoke to the Postmaster to tell him the story about it along with the tracking number. He promised he would call me back the next day after he had a chance to speak with the mail carrier (a substitute who was filling in for my vacationing mail carrier). Three days have gone by and the post master has never called back as he promised.  I suspect this one is going to be a total loss. I have no recourse with the seller as the post office indicates it was delivered. Sheesh. 

22 minutes ago, CDW said:

Speaking of being at the mercy of the post office...

Over a month ago I ordered several models from an individual up north. They quickly mailed out the kits and provided a tracking number. About a week later, the tracking indicated the package arrived at my zip code post office. That was early on a Friday morning, so I guessed they would probably deliver the package on the next day, Saturday. It didn't arrive Saturday, so I figured no problem, it will be here Monday or Tuesday. Monday and Tuesday came and went past, nothing. Another day went by and I checked the tracking again. This time it said the package was in transit. This same message went on for another few days, then next time it said the package was in New York. Huh? Then the package said in transit again while another few days went by. Next it said the package had arrived at my zip code post office again. A couple days go by with no package and when I looked again, it said the shipping label had insufficient information to deliver it to me and had been returned to the sender. Sigh. So I write the sender and advise them to be on the lookout for the returned package then we could retry with a fresh label. Several days go by and I check the tracking. Now it says the package was left at my mailbox on a specific day and time. It wasn't. I have a full time video surveillance camera system at my home so I go to the time and date they claimed they delivered it and it was not delivered. I later went to my zip code post office and spoke to the Postmaster to tell him the story about it along with the tracking number. He promised he would call me back the next day after he had a chance to speak with the mail carrier (a substitute who was filling in for my vacationing mail carrier). Three days have gone by and the post master has never called back as he promised.  I suspect this one is going to be a total loss. I have no recourse with the seller as the post office indicates it was delivered. Sheesh. 

I've had this happen to me several times over the last year, so far I've been lucky, but that was after a discussion face to face with the Post master here in a customer full lobby about them doing this with my packages... The typical excuse is the substitute carrier but I haven't had my regular carrier for some time now.... and then it is always covids fault, heck everything is covids fault.....

I guess the next time I go down there and have a temper tantrum over crappy mail service do you think I would get away blaming it on Covid? {chuckle} I didn't think so....

The mail service has become a real joke over the last year or so.... UPS and FED-EX aren't much better....

Quote:

I've had similar tales shipping items from Savannah, GA to Hendersonville, NC. Box made it from SAV to Greenville, SC in 2 days; had to go to Jacksonville first.  From Greenville, it should go to my PO in a day then delivery to my house.. Nope, box left Grenville for Raleigh, sat there a week and came back to Greenville. Sat 2 more days, then Hendo to my house in 2 days.

And lately, UPS has been handing packages over to USPS for more shenanigans. Oy vey!

Ken

I had to install a battery powered motion detector by my front door because, UPS, USPS and FedEx drivers all drop packages by door but NEVER ring doorbell. Came out one night around 11 pm, found pkg by door, another night found one completely soaked in torrential rain we were having that night. So now the motion sensor goes off and we look outside. Never hear the trucks pull up in front of house. 

3 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

UPS, USPS and FedEx drivers all drop packages by door but NEVER ring doorbell

Your lucky, the only one that comes to my door now is FedEx, the rest just drop them over the fence onto the grass.... (in a plastic bag if it's raining)

At this point I insist on tracking with my shippers and I dedicate an open tab in the browser while each are in transit.. I also signed up for delivery notification where they e-mail me what's coming in the mail, so far it has only gone haywire just once, and that was for my GMM etch... That's when I went to the PO and told the PM it was a 50.00 envelope, and a claim would be forthcoming if they lost it... She assured me it would be in the box the next day.... it was...

Is it a wonder that Amazon decided to create it's own delivery service?

Quote:

Just now, Egilman said:

Your lucky, the only one that comes to my door now is FedEx, the rest just drop them over the fence onto the grass.... (in a plastic bag if it's raining)

At this point I insist on tracking with my shippers and I dedicate an open tab in the browser while each are in transit.. I also signed up for delivery notification where they e-mail me what's coming in the mail, so far it has only gone haywire just once, and that was for my GMM etch... That's when I went to the PO and told the PM it was a 50.00 envelope, and a claim would be forthcoming if they lost it... She assured me it would be in the box the next day.... it was...

Is it a wonder that Amazon decided to create it's own delivery service?

Last time I checked Paypal rules for sellers, the seller MUST get signature confirmation for any items/transaction sold that total $100 or more. If not, delivery confirmation alone is not enough to establish delivery to the customer and the customer can successfully recoup their cost on a contested transaction. Purchases less than $100 do not require signature confirmation. 

If signature confirmation is used, the carrier MUST take it to the door and get a signature. It's worth paying for signature confirmation even if you must pay for it yourself as the buyer. This idea of leaving a package beside your mailbox at the roadside is ridiculous and can easily result in a lost package.

27 minutes ago, CDW said:

It's worth paying for signature confirmation even if you must pay for it yourself as the buyer. This idea of leaving a package beside your mailbox at the roadside is ridiculous and can easily result in a lost package.

Agreed, it's just getting too risky to leave it to the post office's good graces..... they are just simply getting way to lax and the costs of the goods is getting way to high for that type of laxity....

Quote:

1 hour ago, CDW said:

My route mail carrier is great. He never fails to bring my packages to the door, but when he's off or on vacation, all bets are off.

Same here