IJN Akitsushima by CDW - FINISHED - Pit-Road - 1:700 Scale PLASTIC - Seaplane Tender

Just now, yvesvidal said:

The Japanese truly had some very unusual ships, in their fleet. That  is what makes it so interesting to depict them.

After your Scharnhorst, that should be a piece of cake....

Yves

I like the paint scheme and it is an unusual subject.

Don't know if it's available, but I wrote a publisher in Japan to try to acquire detailed drawings of the Akitsushima. Not certain whether the item is still in publication. We shall see.

It is a novel scheme. Seaplane tenders are unusual, but they extended the range of the flying boats.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Just now, RGL said:

I’d love to do one of these in 1/350 but the kit is insanely dead and nearly extinct. Should be good! 

The photos I've seen of the 1:350 kit look amazing. Very limited production, mostly resin and photo etch.

This 1:700 kit hull needs a lot of work to do it justice. It looks like the mold in which it was cast is rather long in the tooth. Much of the hull porthole detail is obliterated on my copy. It would be nice if someone like Flyhawk came along and did one in 1:700, but I guess there are many other selections that would be better sellers for them.

Global Toy in HK are offering the 1:350 kit for $312 plus shipping. For everything you get, the price is right I think. But a lot of modelers are not going to run out and buy one of these.

Rae6ce1a1015f4304a617b9aa1afa8b26.jpg.b20dff4f60526da7cd9d794b7e60d2c4.jpg

Hey Craig, good choice of subject!  That was the first 1/700 kit I bought due to the quirkiness of the design.  Of course it then spiraled from there and now I have too many 1/700 kits.  I'm going to do a few more before I tackle this one though.  I have some of the Model Art japanese mags in case you need additional pictures.

In terms of aftermarket, Artist Hobby makes a really nice super upgrade set under set number AH 670003.  I bought mine from this seller in China - have ordered multiple times from them to pimp out my 1/700 kits, and never had a problem.  It might have a little more detail than the Tetra Model set you have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172860032487

I have the 1/350 Snowman Models resin kit.  I got it for a good deal last year, but saw how pricey it is now.  It's interesting in that it comes in a wooden box.  The resin is very nice, and it has resin and PE parts as you mentioned.  I believe it's a re-pop of a Hasegawa resin kit from 2009:

http://resin-model-kit.com/snow_man_resin_kit_1_350_ijn_seaplane_tender_akitsushima_1942_sr_3501.htm

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10508022

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/ijn/cv/hsg-350-akit/hsg-review.html

There is also a 1/72 Airfix kit of the Akitsushima.  Have never seen it on eBay though or anywhere else.  I did come across this log of someone who scratch built one (I can't tell if he actually bought the Airfix kit or was just noting it was out there):

Start of build log: https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2018/12/09/1-72-akitsushima-秋津洲-ijn-seaplane-tender-scratchbuild-part-i/

Final: https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2018/12/28/ijn-seaplane-tender-akitsushima-秋津洲-1-72-scale-scratchbuilt-pictures-1-of-3/

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

19 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

There is also a 1/72 Airfix kit of the Akitsushima.  Have never seen it on eBay though or anywhere else.  I did come across this log of someone who scratch built one (I can't tell if he actually bought the Airfix kit or was just noting it was out there):

Start of build log: https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2018/12/09/1-72-akitsushima-秋津洲-ijn-seaplane-tender-scratchbuild-part-i/

Final: https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2018/12/28/ijn-seaplane-tender-akitsushima-秋津洲-1-72-scale-scratchbuilt-pictures-1-of-3/

Quite incredible what this gentleman has done, starting from a 1/72 scale kit of the plane itself. And all in plastic card....

sug_09.jpg.4b1f272a1f199e829a39008d956c18f5.jpg

I was thinking about the doing something similar, after purchasing three kits of the Yamato guns by Takom..... I think I need to be placed in an asylum !!!

Sorry CDW for high-jacking your thread.

Yves

Just now, yvesvidal said:

Quite incredible what this gentleman has done, starting from a 1/72 scale kit of the plane itself. And all in plastic card....

I was thinking about the doing something similar, after purchasing three kits of the Yamato guns by Takom..... I think I need to be placed in an asylum !!!

Sorry CDW for high-jacking your thread.

Yves

No worries at all Yves....I have been thinking exactly the same idea. Just this morning, I ordered the line drawings of the Akitsushima from Poland. I definitely want to try my hand at scratch building from plans but 1:72 scale is too much. Going to begin searching for a smaller scale sea plane and work from there. 1:200 scale would be good I think.

4 hours ago, CDW said:

I ordered the line drawings of the Akitsushima from Poland.

Can I ask which outfit has those drawings?  Would be an awesome ship to build in a larger scale from scratch.  I have the 1/700 and 1/350, maybe 1/200 would be fun.  1/72 seems way too big, though I don't think this ship is very big so maybe it won't top out at 5' like the 1/200 Bismarck.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Just now, Landlubber Mike said:

Can I ask which outfit has those drawings?  Would be an awesome ship to build in a larger scale from scratch.  I have the 1/700 and 1/350, maybe 1/200 would be fun.  1/72 seems way too big, though I don't think this ship is very big so maybe it won't top out at 5' like the 1/200 Bismarck.

You can buy a 1:200 scale card model of the Akitsushima. I've never done a card model yet. Another option would be scratch buildING a 1:144 model, as there is the 1:144 Arii H8K2 Emily model. In my opinion, would rather start a scratch build project without having to do the aircraft by scratch as well as the ship. I bought my plans here:

PM-039 - AKITSUSHIMA '43' air tender polish-made.com

On 6/8/2021 at 11:51 AM, CDW said:

Global Toy in HK are offering the 1:350 kit for $312 plus shipping.

😳😳😳 This is one of the reasons why I don't see myself ever getting back into plastic again, much as I might otherwise like to.

The 1/200 scale card version from Answer will set you back a mere $24.99, shipping included -- just sayin'. 😁  BTW, the vendor, Paper Model Store, is legit. The guy has his own website, but does most of his selling through eBay these days.

image.thumb.png.ea011ba7d15cb5a54a6afa142cd509f3.png

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Just now, ccoyle said:

😳😳😳 This is one of the reasons why I don't see myself ever getting back into plastic again, much as I might otherwise like to.

The 1/200 scale card version from Answer will set you back a mere $24.99, shipping included -- just sayin'. 😁  BTW, the vendor, Paper Model Store, is legit. The guy has his own website, but does most of his selling through eBay these days.

image.thumb.png.ea011ba7d15cb5a54a6afa142cd509f3.png

Nice find! Thanks for sharing the link/photo

A bit more expensive but also a few more options if you go direct. I have a number of his books and plans and have never been disappointed. His research seems top notch and one would have to be VERY well versed on the ship to find fault.

https://profilemorskie.com/Profile_1a.htm

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just now, lmagna said:

A bit more expensive but also a few more options if you go direct. I have a number of his books and plans and have never been disappointed. His research seems top notch and one would have to be VERY well versed on the ship to find fault.

Another fine mess you've gotten me into, Ollie. You just had to go and show me that website, didn't you? Oh well, like the old saying goes, "we can't take it with us." You just helped me find something else to spend money on, Lou. 😄

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

I can see me using this a lot. Many Thanks

37 minutes ago, CDW said:

Another fine mess you've gotten me into, Ollie. You just had to go and show me that website, didn't you? Oh well, like the old saying goes, "we can't take it with us." You just helped me find something else to spend money on, Lou. 😄

Hey, it's your turn.:D Try running up a bill that covers ALL of the ships of the 1941 ABDA fleet! In two scales in the case of the Houston! Books and plans for them all, plus a couple that also held an interest to me. I am still glad I did though as his work is at the top and some of the stuff I have is no longer available. The PDF plans are kind of interesting as they have a watermarking on them that says they were printed just for me, (My name). Makes me feel a little important when I look at them. :P The only plans that I have ever bought that were more detailed were the 12 pages of 1/96 plans of the HMS Hood I bought from PC Coker twenty something years ago. Even my plans for the USS Oahu from The Smithsonian are not as detailed. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

Hey, it's your turn.:D Try running up a bill that covers ALL of the ships of the 1941 ABDA fleet! In two scales in the case of the Houston! Books and plans for them all, plus a couple that also held an interest to me. I am still glad I did though as his work is at the top and some of the stuff I have is no longer available. The PDF plans are kind of interesting as they have a watermarking on them that says they were printed just for me, (My name). Makes me feel a little important when I look at them. :P The only plans that I have ever bought that were more detailed were the 12 pages of 1/96 plans of the HMS Hood I bought from PC Coker twenty something years ago. Even my plans for the USS Oahu from The Smithsonian are not as detailed. 

I just bought the USS Wasp and HMS Malaya books so many thanks for the link. I may get the Jupiter and Niaid books if these live up to expectations

Alan

Edited by king derelict

Just now, king derelict said:

I just bought the USS Wasp and HMS Malaya books so many thanks for the link. I may get the Jupiter and Niaid books if these live up to expectations

Alan

I bought the Akitsushima drawings because they are in PDF format. Quick delivery via email or a site to download the file.

Also, I have a program on my PC that will custom scale a PDF file object/s to any desired scale and then the capability to tile print the scaled drawings in 8.5 x 11. 

What program, Craig? I have plenty of plan PDfs that could be adjusted to scales I want to build with.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Just now, Canute said:

What program, Craig? I have plenty of plan PDfs that could be adjusted to scales I want to build with.

The program is old, from somewhere around 2006 or 7, called "Tile Print". It's no longer available for sale as the company appears to have gone out of business, webpage no longer functions. So by now there are probably a lot of programs and features I am unaware of. This program is one I used a lot when I built and was flying RC aircraft. 

By the way, when you receive the plans from this Polish site, they come in PDF a format that does not allow any modification whatsoever. Like Lou said in an earlier post, they even come watermarked with your name on them. It's to prevent pirating.

I have some plans from them with the watermarks. Good idea.

Too bad on that old program. I'll see if my local computer wonks have any leads.

Ken

Maybe because the molds are a bit worn out, but my kit hull had sketchy porthole detail. I decided I would drill them out so they can be seen after the painting is completed on the hull.

I have a corded Dremel tool, but find it a bit too large and clumsy to comfortably drill holes in small scale work. I found this little cordless three speed rotary tool on Amazon for a small price. After applying a couple of coupons I had, it brought the normal delivered price (with Prime) down from $20 to only $13. It runs on a 3.7 volt lithium ion battery and is charged with a standard cell phone charger. Has a variable three speed switch and comes with an assortment box of various "dremel type" bits. The drill bit I have chucked up in the photos is not included with the bits that came with the tool. Fits very nicely in the palm of my hand and gets the job done nicely. I think this tool will come in handy for a lot of small scale tasks working with plastic models.

IMG_2196.thumb.jpg.8b612a287363c38c15e849ab0ebe5483.jpgIMG_2199.thumb.jpg.ee647e2572c6968d82e2e010aae50d8e.jpgIMG_2198.thumb.jpg.7fb8ddf68b4db827d452a039c9a35b0f.jpgIMG_2197.thumb.jpg.f3b8c69c2babf6b3f1ada1bd66d718a3.jpgIMG_2200.thumb.jpg.c7a5d041220a8908f803d0368e99df65.jpg

Was the speed slow enough to drill through the plastic or did it melt through?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just now, lmagna said:

Was the speed slow enough to drill through the plastic or did it melt through?

I would say it does a bit of both. However, at this micro gauge (small fraction of a mm), twist drilling using a hand tool is just not a viable option. You will be breaking bits ever time you turn around. Been there and done that, it just doesn't work.

really interesting subject Craig......there are so many that hardly see the light of day ;)   ....and as with any subject,  you'll find that there are many rabbit holes you can go down........   pull'in up a chair my friend :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just now, popeye the sailor said:

really interesting subject Craig......there are so many that hardly see the light of day ;)   ....and as with any subject,  you'll find that there are many rabbit holes you can go down........   pull'in up a chair my friend :) 

Thanks and welcome aboard, Denis!

I see a larger scale scratch built Akitsushima in my dreams. It's only a dream at this point mind you. 🙂

just be careful of what you dream........I drempt that I made some progress on one of my models...found out this morning that it was a bust! :(   during my research of the PT boat,  I read that tenders were used to move them over large distances,  so these types of vessels were very important and performed a lot of different functions.  

getting somewhere near normal here........the hobby room is almost functional  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch