Military Wrecker - Revell - 1:32 Scale

One day this past week, a box arrived on my doorstep that I wasn't expecting. When I looked at the shipping label, I saw a familiar name on the sender's line and realized a good friend had surprised me with something. I opened the package and found I had received this vintage 1:32 Revell Military Wrecker kit. Right up my alley! I love military wreckers, and wreckers in general. This one is much larger than the previous military wrecker I recently finished on this forum. Part of that is because it's in a larger scale, 1:32 vs: 1:35 scale, but mainly because this wrecker was larger than the Scammell. 

Anyway, getting down to business, I have begun assembly of the major sub assemblies and will soon begin painting them before assembling and painting/detailing the model. These vintage Revell kits were simple to build, so this one will go fairly quick. Stay tuned...

DSCN2916.thumb.JPG.5115f086a7d94b6f58faeff4597cfeb9.JPGDSCN2917.thumb.JPG.74c7dbf95cb730710bef916acb746af9.JPG

Thats our family on here for you  - looking out for each other.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

6 hours ago, CDW said:

but mainly because this wrecker was larger than the Scammell. 

Now that is surprising to me. The cab on the Scammell somehow looked much larger. I could never figure out why Revell chose to manufacture this kit in 1/32 instead of 1/35. Another "Fast" build? Maybe I should start bringing candy bars to these builds. Not enough time for popcorn to start popping!

Jack isn't here yet so I will be waiting the rafters with rabid interest to see what kind of magic you perform this time Craig!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I'm going to use my chair as the rafters are really busy these days 😁. Ihave an extra snickers  Lou. 

I'm ready for another lesson in plastic kit modelling. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

1 hour ago, Edwardkenway said:

Ihave an extra snickers  Lou. 

I'm ready for another lesson in plastic kit modelling. 

I'll take it! I happen to like them. So you are here for the same reason as I am. Watch how the real pros do it and then sneak over to the modeling area and see if I can even come close!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

7 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I'll take it! I happen to like them. So you are here for the same reason as I am. Watch how the real pros do it and then sneak over to the modeling area and see if I can even come close!

Yes, I'll poach any great ideas if it makes mine look half decent 😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

Jack isn't here yet

That's because he was still sleeping, Lou.    

Cool looking model, Craig.    

A good friend who sends you model kits ?? That's a very good friend !!

Good luck with the build.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Look at the store price tag on that box to give you an idea of when it was produced.. $8.00 at least 40 years ago... same kit produced to today's standards? it would sell out for no less than $70.00 on initial release... 

Nice easy kit btw....

I'm in...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Just now, Egilman said:

Look at the store price tag on that box to give you an idea of when it was produced.. $8.00 at least 40 years ago... same kit produced to today's standards? it would sell out for no less than $70.00 on initial release... 

Nice easy kit btw....

I'm in...

Yeah, and it came from an Ace Hardware store. 😄

4 minutes ago, CDW said:

We had a birthday party/cookout  for one of our grand daughters yesterday.

Can you believe she just turned 13? I sure as heck don't remember girls looking like grown women when I was 13.

Congratulations on the birthday...

About the rest, No comment.... (absolutely gorgeous though has to be said)

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 5/23/2020 at 10:41 PM, CDW said:

Me too, Lou. 

Boy does this bring back memories.  I operated one of these beasts off and on for 10 years.  As a member Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers we were responsible for all heavy lifts and recovery.  We had them in gas an diesel power.  They were strong trucks but very uncomfortable on long road trips, especially in the winter.  My partner got frost bite in the truck, diesel variant.  Looking forward to your build

THAT is a shock! My youngest grandson just turned 13 last month and he looks like he is nine or ten! (Acts like it much of the time as well). Are you taking out the guns and cleaning them in public for all the potential boyfriends yet?:ph34r:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

18 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Are you taking out the guns and cleaning them in public for all the potential boyfriends yet?:ph34r:

One of the enjoyable aspects of grandfathering.... 

Quote:

Just now, lmagna said:

THAT is a shock! My youngest grandson just turned 13 last month and he looks like he is nine or ten! (Acts like it much of the time as well). Are you taking out the guns and cleaning them in public for all the potential boyfriends yet?:ph34r:

If she does like her mother did, my daughter will have some gray hair before it's all said and done. 😄

You have two choices. You will either get gray hair or you will loose it. Either case is caused by children!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

If being broke was a cause then I would have never grown hair in the first place. Sometimes I look back and wonder how much money I could have had if I had not been nonstop raising children for the last 51 years!  

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

While the Revell kit is basic, it does a pretty decent job capturing the major details of a recovery vehicle like this. The steering and the rear suspension are articulated, which is neat. 

Then there are some crater-sized sink marks that must be filled because they will be visible in significant areas. I won't try to fill all the sink marks, such as the one that can be seen on the sides of the front leaf springs. After the wheels are on, they won't be noticeable on a display shelf.

As soon as the putty dries and I sand it down, will begin the basic painting of the chassis and power train.

DSCN2957.thumb.JPG.beb65792809aecae7154145089da9c50.JPGDSCN2958.thumb.JPG.3b6639e9a7338c28af592c5c0ab639b3.JPGDSCN2959.thumb.JPG.34f1f64a00b950319ed81ff7d0f2cd34.JPGDSCN2960.thumb.JPG.e1c89a8854153e9b0b4524826886c4bf.JPGDSCN2961.thumb.JPG.7226781faead286a2b7544266ffc596d.JPGDSCN2962.thumb.JPG.0a7be021f0d9495aaae97b58b5f7f90a.JPGDSCN2963.thumb.JPG.b3cadcbab4d49924ff2d322ec03481a9.JPGDSCN2964.thumb.JPG.149b3b358631639a91cfd358403986d1.JPGDSCN2965.thumb.JPG.3cc780bb300f7cd83e47ae4b65bf41dc.JPGDSCN2966.thumb.JPG.2c58f6796af26b65fac68403d40ffe8a.JPG

Those old kits can take some work to get looking right....

Quote:

Just now, Egilman said:

Those old kits can take some work to get looking right....

You got that right. Sometimes a lot of work.

Here I've painted the chassis and suspension in Tamiya Olive Green mixed 50:50 with Tamiya Flat Yellow. The engine is painted in Vallejo Black Gray, as well as the tires. Using this as the basis to start, will begin picking out the details and shading/detailing the chassis and drive train.

DSCN2967.thumb.JPG.d15130faa6a691af299d9671bff7e297.JPGDSCN2968.thumb.JPG.9a05538c5fcd551cc77185283543edd1.JPG

The yellow in the OD tends to make it crisp, like freshly painted OD that hasn't had a chance to fade yet... Nice touch.....

Quote:

That looks like a really fun kit.  I'm signed up for this one!  Are you going to make it look beaten up?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

6 minutes ago, Egilman said:

The yellow in the OD tends to make it crisp, like freshly painted OD that hasn't had a chance to fade yet... Nice touch.....

Tamiya Olive Drab is WAY too dark for what I'm trying to do right here. 

Just now, Landlubber Mike said:

That looks like a really fun kit.  I'm signed up for this one!  Are you going to make it look beaten up?

I'll do a little damage, wear, here and there.