American LaFrance Eagle Fire Pumper - Trumpeter - 1:25 Scale

CDW

I'm in,   used to love these as a kid  the  diecast ones  - Dinky, Corgi  etc.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Count me in.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Gimme a few minutes, I have to go back to the replicator for another easy chair.... I'll be here.....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Sign me up. I could do up my HO scale version of a 50's pumper - Sylvan Scale Resin. They're going to be flatcar loads.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I thought there was a College Park MD.

Edit: There is

The City of College Park is in Prince George's County, Maryland, United States, and is approximately four miles (6.4 km) from the northeast border of Washington, D.C. The population was 30,413 at the 2010 United States Census. It is best known as the home of the University of Maryland, College Park, and since 1994 the city has also been home to the National Archives at College Park, a facility of the U.S. National Archives, as well as to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP).         Wiki

Edited by Jack12477

I'm in and hanging out in the rafters for the aerial view.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

I'm in and hanging out in the rafters for the aerial view.

Instead of popcorn  you could throw down to us in the lower stalls   those  Yellow kidney shaped sweet soft nuts   - What are they called ?

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

I thought there was a College Park MD.

Edit: There is

The City of College Park is in Prince George's County, Maryland, United States, and is approximately four miles (6.4 km) from the northeast border of Washington, D.C. The population was 30,413 at the 2010 United States Census. It is best known as the home of the University of Maryland, College Park, and since 1994 the city has also been home to the National Archives at College Park, a facility of the U.S. National Archives, as well as to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP).         Wiki

Oh yeah....you're right! Didn't even think about College Park Maryland. 

After the fact, I did find a decal sheet  that has Philadelphia and City of Baltimore on it, on Ebay. Now that I realize College Park is a legitimate fire department, I'll probably just stick to what I've got.

41 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Yellow kidney shaped sweet soft nuts   - What are they called ?

Cashews. You have expensive tastes in nuts OC.

I'll be up here with Mark. Don't turn the hose on us!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

18 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Cashews. You have expensive tastes in nuts OC.

I'll be up here with Mark. Don't turn the hose on us!

"Bless  You"

Sorry I'll get my coat🙃

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

"Bless  You"

Sorry I'll get my coat🙃

?????????????????????????????????????

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

16 minutes ago, lmagna said:

?????????????????????????????????????

Just my humour  Lou    - some  make a joke out of the name cashew  as it can be made to sound like  you are sneezing  hence my reply  - "Bless You"    like  - "Achewwww "     "Cashew"   etc

Its ok I'll  double get my coat.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

6 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

I got the  cashew yoke right away. 

Looks like I was the only one baffled. Went right over my head. Probably should be me getting my coat. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

33 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Probably should be me getting my coat.

Why, you already caught the cold, right along with the rest of us my friend..... Besides the guvernuer might send his goons if you go outside, then, give you a ticket for breathing fresh air..... {chuckle}

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

13 hours ago, Egilman said:

Besides the guvernuer might send his goons if you go outside, then, give you a ticket for breathing fresh air

All too true around here

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The entire chassis gets painted black. Boring, I know. I'll go around and add some metallic details here and there just to liven things up.

Here, wanted to dry fit the wheels to the axles. Preparing to add a few more chassis/drive train parts, then paint a little more black before starting on everything above the chassis.

IMG_1354.thumb.jpg.cf81082534be50319b31794086d2110b.jpgIMG_1355.thumb.jpg.6edf079b23f27317692ea7cfdbab2f1f.jpgIMG_1356.thumb.jpg.796146ac1693450b93c40796127134bc.jpg 

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Caught this photo of the "Bethlehem Star" at dusk this afternoon. The two planets had just come into alignment.

IMG_0596.thumb.jpg.34ca5c3cd8c3ab2e7e06d1138ad976be.jpg

First time in 800 years  very special moment.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

31 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

First time in 800 years  very special moment.

First time in 400 years brother, 800 years since it's happened at night where people can actually see it.... (and unfortunately it is raining buckets right now, I can't see it)

Quote:

I am following.  The first truck I ever drove (1965) was a 1956 American LaFrance Suburban Pumper - the Suburban model had the pump panel on the right (curb) side for the protection of the Engineer.  I got on the local volunteer FD the day I tuned 18 and the next Friday night I took part in driver training.  The truck we had was of course much different than this model - more rounded front end and the jump seats behind the driver and officer were single back facing seats w/o doors on the side just open to the rear.  Nice and toasty warm returning from fires in cold weather but pretty darn hot when the seasons were reversed.  The big V12 engine put out a lot of heat.  Dual spark plugs from dual magnetos.  I was told they used a old Packard engine.  The American Lafrance Fire Apparatus Museum is filled with various types and years of American LaFrance apparatus at Charleston, SC.  It was about 1/4 mile from the NRG Conference hotel when we met there in 2013. If you are in the area it's worth seeing.  There is even one truck there I have ridden to fires on - the old Snorkel Squad One from the Chicago FD was built by ALF on a GMC chassis - we used to ride with Chicago for training and SS1 was the busiest CFD unit. http://www.northcharlestonfiremuseum.org/

Back in 1956 when they got this pumper American LaFrance presented my Father with a custom built Tonka Toy version of the pumper (made strictly for American LaFrance) that had a plunger type of pump with a coiled Booster Hose that squirted water from a small tank.  I wish I had the foresight to put it on a shelf back then  but what 9 year old kid isn't going to play with it instead?  I used to put on my leather Kairns fire helmet (we each got one when the FD got new helmets) a rain coat and play fireman - I even used the helmet to carry water to the play area in the back yard - at this stage I don't remember what the water was for but I have vivid memories of carrying the water in the helmet and how that eventually ruined the helmet - there are also collector items but not as much as the truck.

I have two of the leather helmets that made a comeback (pre-OSHA applying to FDs) exactly as they were originally made that I wore during my career.  One is real nice condition the other has the metal piece that holds the shield with the Dept. Name and ID number on the front smashed down distorting the leather shield a bit - a floor above came down on a couple of us w/o injuries other than minor burns we didn't even notice until later.  Adrenalin is wonderful - at times.

The photo shows my helmets from my career.  The leather helmet I got when I first joined the FD where I spent the next 27.5 years - is at the right.  The helmet they issued me when promoted to Engineer (the driver and pump operator though I spent most of my time as an Engineer driving the ladder truck) is at the left.  The white helmet is my last helmet when I was promoted to Division Chief.  Just noticed the cobwebs - this is above the man door in the garage at the bottom of the stairs from my shop.  Will get to them someday....

Sorry to have hijacked the thread but get an old fireman feeling nostalgic and I am surprised I didn't go longer.

MY DGFD HELMETS - MED RES.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

It's interesting how little the helmets have changed in design over the years.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Great story, Kurt. Thanks for sharing that with us. I never knew the original helmets were made of leather.

When I was growing up, the city Fire Marshall lived across the street from us. He had a personal vehicle that was either a Plymouth or Dodge, can't remember for sure, but it was fire engine red in color. I remember thinking how cool his car looked back then. It had the push button gear shift for the automatic transmission. My dad was a business man, and a local politician. We had a police 2 way radio installed by the city in our family vehicle (a 1955 Oldsmobile). Many times, my dad drove us to the scenes of fires he learned about over the radio and we watched the firefighters put out the fires. Very exciting to see as a kid.  

When I started driving I had to borrow Dad's car for dates - between 16 and 18 mostly only Friday nights because that was when the local FD met and Dad didn't need the car.  The one drawback was the FD radio had to be on at all times - if I was late the radio would come alive with 'Kurt look at the time!" and I better be home very quick after that.  I responded with my Dad from home to the fire scene from about 13 on until I got on the FD at 18 - at which point I drove to the firehouse on my own.  My job at the fire scene initially was to ask a neighbor to use their phone, call the fire house and relay messages between the Chief and the firehouse.  Then we got the first radios and the Chief's "portable" radio required a sling to go on the shoulder - so I got to stand next to him with the radio handy.  Shortly after that we got radios in each piece of apparatus - I was about 14 or 15 then.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

21 minutes ago, kurtvd19 said:

When I started driving I had to borrow Dad's car for dates - between 16 and 18 it mostly only Friday nights because that was when the local FD met and Dad didn't need the car.  The one drawback was the FD radio had to be on at all times - if I was late the radio would come alive with 'Kurt look at the time!" and I better be home very quick after that.  I responded with my Dad from home to the fire scene from about 13 on until I got on the FD at 18 - at which point I drove to the firehouse on my own.  My job at the fire scene initially was to ask a neighbor to use their phone, call the fire house and relay messages between the Chief and the firehouse.  Then we got the first radios and the Chief's "portable" radio required a sling to go on the shoulder - so I got to stand next to him with the radio handy.  Shortly after that we got radios in each piece of apparatus - I was about 14 or 15 then.

Thank you  for your service Kurt,   a friend of mine is a temp fireman  over here over the pond.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Here is the finished chassis, ready for the cab and body additions that ride atop of it.

IMG_1361.thumb.jpg.3bfd1b118e0d6e4338a329288f30adf8.jpgIMG_1362.thumb.jpg.961e35531ff51ba2ec205342af8e079c.jpgIMG_1363.thumb.jpg.2ec3ad4f6555f15d2bd5f043f0bf1d28.jpgIMG_1364.thumb.jpg.6bae1839b61e8ca3657e20e9344918cf.jpg

Next is the control box that rides midway between the cab and body of the pumper. If my terminology is incorrect for this piece, maybe Kurt will chime in and give me a hand for the proper name of it. It's made up of diamond plate and has lots of instruments and couplings attached. As pictured, you see it in black primer which I use before applying the shiny aluminum diamond plate finish. I like to use a semi gloss black acrylic for this primer as the aluminum plate metallic paint goes down very well on top of it. 

IMG_1365.thumb.jpg.c3edfeae95da5dc36350c524a0f51c3f.jpgIMG_1366.thumb.jpg.b3fe396cadbcc64f099e18ea13708177.jpgIMG_1367.thumb.jpg.379ad29f97b737251342bab434d98b07.jpg

Last is a hose reel that's part of the control box assembly. Also, this part is primered in semi gloss black acrylic and will be silver metallic with yellow hose.

IMG_1369.thumb.jpg.7e146bd2093964fb8e6c9e776f609b7b.jpg