HMS FLY 1776 by pnevrin - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64

Hello all,

So I've been following the other Fly builders for a while now (Blue Ensign, Spyglass, Landlubber Mike, Vitus, et al) and thought it was time to join the party. A bit daunting since everyone's Fly look so accomplished, especially for the scale.

I picked up this kit a while back but moving house and switching careers made me shelf it for over a year after I had done the first planking and part of the main deck planking.

This is where I am now:

Started second planking and pretty much completed the exterior bulwarks and still lining the inside. I'm trying to pick each plank (outside planking) as carefully as possible to not get too much variation as I want to stain them a little darker and not paint as much. Not planning on coppering but have seen a few that look very good with the ageing applied.

Purchased Chuck Passaro's brass 6-pounders and trucks (37mm version which may or may not be out of scale but I think they look the part).

Really enjoying this kit. So far everything fits like a glove, good quality timber and a reasonably sized ship to work on. I've previously built the Lady Nelson by Amati (lost build log in the big MSW purge) and a shelved Montanes project that I took to finished hull minus stern and bow bits. It still looks very nice for now and I can't rig her in our house anyway.

Looking forward to any comments, suggestions, criticism or ideas from this amazing community!

- Per

post-371-0-14907600-1435493898_thumb.jpg

post-371-0-34743100-1435493900_thumb.jpg

post-371-0-17514400-1435493903_thumb.jpg

post-371-0-45227700-1435493906_thumb.jpg

post-371-0-08136900-1435493909_thumb.jpg

post-371-0-91202500-1435493910_thumb.jpg

current build:

HMS Fly 1776 Swan Class 6th rate by Amati

previous builds:

Navio Montanes, Spanish 80-gun 3rd rate 1794 by OcCre -on hold for now-

HM Lady Nelson,   by Amati -completed- (lost log)

Good work Per,

hull planking, deck- and deckbeam timbers and gratings, all looks very neat, wish you further good success with the HMS Fly

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Nils, it's only my third build but things are starting to click :) Found a lot of great builds of this kit here to give me ideas for what needs to be done. Trying to find a reasonable price for the TFFM books vol 1 and 2. 

-Per

Edited by pnevrin

current build:

previous builds:

Hi Per -- Glad you're enjoying the Fly, it's a great kit and a nice looking ship.  Your planking is tight and even -- congratulations on that.  The gunports all look nice & trim.  Is that the kit-supplied lime you're using on th bulkheads?  I couldn't quite tell from the photos.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress!

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks Martin, much appreciated! I'm using kit timber throughout, basically. I've used cutoffs of the walnut planking to line the inside bulwarks. Gives the ship a nice weight as well.

One thing I decided to change was the stern. The ply transom looked sad on it's own so I've planked the top part with the lime wood provided for the first hull planking - this to give it a layer to then plank over with walnut. 

- Per

current build:

previous builds:

Yes, I know what you mean about giving the ship some weight -- those thin plywood gunports have begun to seen less rinky-dink the more they're planked. 

I like that shot from inboard of your bulwark planking.  It also provides a nice view of your deck planking.  Could you give a view of the stern with your alteration for the transom?

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Looking really great Per.  Welcome to the Swan Club.  :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Will do, just need to feed the monsters first. I may redo the stern actually. It doesn't have the right lateral bend of the planks.

current build:

previous builds:

I ended up planking my stern counter too, and used curved planks.  I ended up taking wider straight planks and sanding them back so that I ended up with curved planking (rather than bend the planks laterally against their width).

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

thanks everyone for the encouraging words. Regarding the stern, the idea I have now is not to do the curved planking since most of that will be painted over anyway. On the other hand, I don't like taking shortcuts... 

post-371-0-47354100-1435687327_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I've kept the camber halfway up but no curved planks and then the idea was to sand down the top plank (to 'curve' it) so the windowed transom piece of plywood will fit. Still haven't decided 100% which way to go. I kind of like the way it looks now.

current build:

previous builds:

I ended up planking my stern counter too, and used curved planks.  I ended up taking wider straight planks and sanding them back so that I ended up with curved planking (rather than bend the planks laterally against their width).

Mike, I'll have to take a look at the result on your build log. Seems like everyone's had a different take on this part of the kit.

Edited by pnevrin

current build:

previous builds:

Per - nice start, will be following your progress.  Even though I'm not building a Swan myself, I did just order a copy of TFFM Vol 2 after managing to find a cheap copy of Vol 1 in a book store - there is so much useful info that is applicable to other builds as well.  The best price I could find was on Seawatch books, far from cheap but definitely better than the ridiculous $400 or more being asked on ebay/Amazon.  http://www.seawatchbooks.com/109001

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I ended up getting my copies of TFFM on eBay.  On average, for new copies, I was paying about $35 per volume.  Looks like I'll have to shell out for the new rigging supplement.

Mike

Mike, if I could find it on eBay for $35 I would be a happy camper. The last time I checked they were indeed going for ridiculous amounts of money. I may order straight from Seawatch. 

Jason - I agree, it sounds like they are a bit of a holy grail for the Swan class ships and I find myself thinking 'what did it really look like on this particular area'. So probably need to get them!

- Per

current build:

previous builds:

I got my set of FFM one volume at a time, full price from Seawatch.  I refer to every single volume -- #3 by Greg Herbert on a scratch build provides plenty of information on basic construction.  While rigging my Rattlesnake, I used the rigging volume of FFM so much the pages began falling out.  They're all worth the money.  In fact, I've started buying some of the books on other ships, mostly scratch build but good books.

My two cents.

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Been thinking about treenailing... something I find daunting. The method others have used is wood filler, which appeals to me. Made up a dummy section (don't knock it, took all but 5 minutes) 

post-371-0-69586500-1435754925_thumb.jpg

It may be hard to see the difference but I used Colron neutral wood filler and Admiral Walnut Stain to get the right tint to the filler. Finished off with sanding + Colron Finishing Oil which is " a superior blend of resins and tung oil".

- Per

current build:

previous builds:

Hey looks good. I have seen some using the black bristles off an old broom as well. Yours looks great. Just a suggestion. Keep up the good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks Coleman - I've heard about the bristles from a brush as well. Pretty pleased with this as it is so much less work :)

current build:

previous builds:

good input Martin. Will order them from Seawatch. Think it comes out to £100 inc shipping to the UK.

Per, do you have Abebooks.com or something similar?  It's a website consortium of smaller used book dealers.  I've gotten some really great deals on used books for my ship modeling library through that website.  If I remember correctly, Abebooks had both US and UK sellers listing through it.  

I have all four volumes and find them incredibly helpful.  I used Vol. 4 extensively for the rigging and sails on my Badger build.  I haven't been using Vol. 1 very much.  If you are interested in details like mast partners, etc., then there is some info there.  But, on all the visible deck details, Vol. 2 is a wonderful resource.  Vol. 3 is great as well as Martin says in that you can follow along as Greg builds his Pegasus.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Been thinking about treenailing... something I find daunting. The method others have used is wood filler, which appeals to me. Made up a dummy section (don't knock it, took all but 5 minutes) 

attachicon.gifDSC09389.JPG

It may be hard to see the difference but I used Colron neutral wood filler and Admiral Walnut Stain to get the right tint to the filler. Finished off with sanding + Colron Finishing Oil which is " a superior blend of resins and tung oil".

- Per

Looks great Per.  On my Badger, I tree nailed the deck using bamboo skewers and the Byrnes draw plate.  I liked the end result, but it was a lot of work.  The wood filler method seems to give a very similar result with a lot less hassle.

Mike

hey Mike - regarding TFFM, ideally I wouldn't mind getting all 4 in used condition. Vol 2 looks like the one I need right now then.

The wood filler method for the treenails turned out to be surprisingly easy (thanks to the builder of the Essex who's name fails me right now). After oiling and wiping I painted with admirality blue and black to see if the oil would repell it but it turned out nicely.

I may just mark the treenails on the deck planking but haven't made up my mind yet. I am working on the rest (pics to follow) and using black thread and PVA for caulking which makes it tricky to scrape or sand very much.

thanks again for all the recommendations, really helpful.

- Per

current build:

previous builds:

I've been squirrelling away at the remaining deck planking on the lower deck. It's been a while since I last did this so of course I got the butt joint pattern wrong. I am too far in to correct now and it will have to pass. I do like the way the black thread turns out with PVA for caulking. I know not everyone is a fan of too thick caulking representation but I think it works personally. 

It's just been oiled and still need a bit of cleaning up so it will pop less when dry.

Next, other side of the deck and then complete the bulwark inside lining.

- Per

post-371-0-34360200-1435838444_thumb.jpg

Edited by pnevrin

current build:

previous builds:

oh, and I just ordered TFFM vol 2 from Seawatch! Came out to $100 with shipping... By the way, I was slapped with VAT + handling when I ordered the Syren cannon kit. It was labelled merchandise and correct value but Customs decided they wanted VAT for it. Had to go to the Royal Mail depot and pay £20/$30 extra to take home, which kind of sucks.

- Per

current build:

previous builds:

Nice work Per, and good choice on the TFFM series.  For the deck planking, did you use the kit tanganyika?  It looks pretty nice.

Mike

Nice work Per, and good choice on the TFFM series.  For the deck planking, did you use the kit tanganyika?  It looks pretty nice.

Thanks Mike. Yep, I wish I could have gotten something harder and lighter than the kit tanganyika but so far I'm liking the quality. The width varies from plank to plank so it's a bit of a puzzle but the coloration is good I think.

current build:

previous builds:

The tanganyika in my kit is a lot nicer than the stuff that was in my Badger kit (which was splintery and warped).  When all was said and done however, it worked out nicely for my build.  Your deck looks really great.

I switched to maple just to change things up a bit.  It's a great wood to work with, and I like the character in the grain.  Others use holly, but I found it a bit too bland for the deck.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike