Landlocked123

Jim Byrnes Thickness Sander

Hi Guys,

I must have been pretty good last year because Santa also bought me a Byrnes Thickness Sander!

I finally got the chance to play with it yesterday and I found that the dust port does not fit to my Black & Decker Shop Vac. My question is whether or not I can use "off the shelf" PVC fittings to make an adapter or do I need to scratch build something?

I know you guys have the answer :).

Best,

John

post-18302-0-11548100-1483488827_thumb.jpeg

There is a Byrnes adaptor thread on here somewhere.  I have a Fein shop vac which is in a metric size.  I had to use two adaptors, one inside the other, for a tight seal.  You might be able to get away with one adaptor and some gaffer tape.

The thickness sander is awesome by the way.  I don't use it nearly as often as the table saw and disc sander, but when I do, I am thankful I have it.

mtaylor, Canute and Landlocked123 like this

I have not bothered with an adapter but my Fein vac hose, which is metric, traps every bit of the dust when I just set it into the top port.  Someday I will remember to get the adapter and will have a tight fit - but it's not been necessary yet.

Kurt

If needed to accommodate a slight mismatch in diameters, a gasket can be cut from polyurethane foam from a craft store such as JoAnn,  It comes in 2mm and 6mm thickness.  Cut the material to the width needed and oversize in length, wrap it around the fitting, and then cut it on a long diagonal. A spot of glue or double-stick cellophane tape will hold it in place.

mtaylor, Canute and donrobinson like this

The hose I had was just a little small for the one in the thickness sander, I just wrapped some electrical tape around the hose for a snug fit. Works great and is alway easily removed or put baclk on.

mtaylor and Canute like this