Charon Boatman of the River Styx by bensid54

Checked out my camera equipment last night and the transmitter creates a fair bit of heat, so I'm going to my hobby shed to find a transmitter with half the mw and see if heat will be a problem with that one. If the other one is still too hot then I will have to come up with a means to cool it, heat exchanger or fan I'm not sure how I can do it. I'm not really fussy about using a fan for fear that it can cause his cape to flutter or be sucked against something when it should be hanging loose. Here is a picture of my Fat Shark camera gear without the goggles in the picture.

post-12226-0-31166500-1457203450_thumb.jpg

I found my 250mw camera transmitter powered it up and let it sit in my shed for an hour to see how warm it would get. After an hour I checked the heat of both the camera and transmitter and found them warm but not too hot so I have my answer as far as needing cooling goes, the less I have to put under his cape the better!

No one can upload a video to MSW.  Can you copy the URL (the addy) and paste it into a post?   If you're using iE11, probably not.... 

Is this the one:  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Work on his head, drilled eye holes, mounted the camera lower so the electronics for the eyes would fit. Mounted the camera  then filled in the gap above the camera with wood putty now I have to wait for the putty to set before I can make the workings for his neck which should be fun.

post-12226-0-09987000-1457922976_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-19822900-1457922979_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-56508900-1457922981_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-49881200-1457922983_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-47651800-1457922985_thumb.jpg

I'd suggest that you move this to the Scratch area.... you're a-building.   :)  ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If I were designing this boat for Charon, my design would feature rectangular mid ships section and full stern. In the movie clip, Charon stands up in the stern and propels the boat by poling. Even though he is a skeleton, displacement in the stern is necessary to support his weight. The creepy nature of the whole thing means that the boat moves very slowly so full hull lines do not effect resistance. Operating in protected waters he is unlikely to encounter heavy cross seas so range of stability is not much of a consideration. High initial stability is a desirable feature because he operates the boat standing up and passengers are always getting off and on, so a flat bottom design (rectangular mid ships section) is called for. Last but not least, the activities of the four horsemen of the Apocolypse- Disease, War, Famine, and Pestilance? Require the ability to carry large passenger loads- high cubic capacity.

The most rational design is therefore a rectangular barge with raking ends.

Roger Pellett

It would look like what your neighbors here to the south call a "Jon Boat" except that both the bow and stern would be curved up unlike the Jon boat where just the bow is curved. If you look up Jon boat on the web you'll find lots of examples. The top sides should flare outwards to gain buoyancy and stability when heavily loaded.

Roger

Received the heavy duty servos today they have a torque of 15.5 kg per cm or if you prefer 30.45 lbs. per 1/4 inch approx. they are quite heavy so I think I will have to lean towards a broad beamed boat. I'll check out that Jon boat see if it will work for me.

post-12226-0-96452000-1458186794_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-07391700-1458186798_thumb.jpg

Edited by bensid54

Ben, if you want a stable, flat-bottomed ship that nonetheless resembles a Viking ship as you mentioned earlier, you might like to look at the rather graceful Mediterranean ship which sank about 1025 at serce limani off the coast of what is now Turkey - you can see a 3D image here and its lines here

Ben, have you checked the "Titan" movies, one of them, clash of the titans I think, incudes a scene of this crossing which may help with ideas.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Anyone know where I can buy a one foot tall plastic skeleton that has shipping to Canada? I've put out a tweet on the Warner Bros website asking anyone for info regarding the Ferryman of the 80s Clash of the Titans pictures etc. any info would be helpful. Right now I'm getting the program set up for his movements with AEW a member of another ship building website so hopefully will have some pictures or maybe even a video soon.

You could check out this http://www.coomodel.com/info.asp?id=27. It's 1/6th scale, fully articulated. There seem to be quite a few on Ebay (search for coomodel bs003), 

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

I looked up skeletons etc. and I think based on what I'm trying to accomplish I don't like the head I made it looks too Mickey Mouse. So That being said I'm going to scrap it and start over. As I asked before can someone post my latest video of Charons head working it's under "willie watts Charon or bireme" you can find it there if not then I will only be able to post pictures, thanks in advance. 

You can post links to the videos using the external link button 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLDJlm3Jkr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgSZGMMu6gg

When I just paste the links, I do see the embedded videos (in Chrome anyway).

Richard.

p.s. those will be some scary eyes!

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Man, we got to get you moved over to Chrome here on MSW.   Try what Richard suggested.

I had to move over to Chrome (or Firefox) as IE11 was giving me fits not just here but other places also.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Cool.  Chrome is/was probably the easiest thing to install.   Looking good.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: