USS Constitution Cross-Section by Stubby - Mamoli - Scale 1:93

I have determined that one can never have too many projects going at once, so while I am contemplating how to proceed with the 18th Century Longboat, I will work on my Constitution Cross Section.  I am finding that this hobby is a continual learning experience.... and I take full advantage of that by doing most things twice.  

I put together the framing for the cross section, but I find that the directions are a bit difficult to follow.  After I finished the first step, I was not satisfied with the appearance - so I took it apart and did it again.  As many others noted in their logs, the kit doesn't have the correct number of spacers.  I made some extras out of scrap planking from other projects; they don't match exactly, but they will be planked up and won't show when complete, so it's okay.

The lower gun ports were a nightmare - many others noted this in their build logs too.  I saw that Tuffarts had created a spacer for the ports to ensure correct and uniform sizing.  I thought that was a great idea and did the same (the second time).  They look much better, but I still think they are a little off.  I may be taking them off and putting them back on with the planking as an additional way to line them up.

I also made a form for the deck beams, and it seems to be working well.  I'm not very good at forming with pins, and the result is often jagged.  Now to install the deck beams and start planking.  

post-21893-0-22107900-1448820374_thumb.png

post-21893-0-03184000-1448820391_thumb.png

"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;

These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep."

- Psalm 107:23-24 (KJV)

Understand what you are saying, I think we have all been there.  A note of caution:  continually re-doing items does not a finished project make.

You have to decide what is good enough.  Your skills will improve and by the time you are coming close to being done you will look at the early stages and probably see how you could do much better.  It was hard for me but I force myself to keep moving forward (most of the times).  I call my finished ships the evolution of Krug.  I can definitely pick the order but few others can.

Looking great and my compliments on overcoming adversary.  Keep the pics coming!

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the reply.  You give some good advice - as do many in this forum!  I do have an update - and pictures... but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to upload the picture.  I don't know what's so hard - I've done it before... but this is clearly NOT an intuitive process.

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

Okay, so I figured out (remembered) how to post pictures.  I think I need to relearn this lesson every time I post!

So I continued on by planking the interior of the orlop deck and framing out the deck above.  I didn’t stagger the planking on the interior, but I will stagger the planking on the birth, gun, and spar decks.  The picture shows the beams of the birthing deck in place and framed out.  They are held in place with planks so as to square it with the hull, but not fixed in place so the frame can be removed for planking.  I’m actually pretty happy with how it is turning out.

The directions call for placing the runners (upon which the deck beams rest) before planking.  I found however, that planking to the point of the runner and then installing the runner makes it much easier to level the deck.  I will continue this process from the bottom up.

Looking at some of the great ideas incorporated by others who have built this model, I am greatly inspired by ways to improve upon it.  I’m trying to restrain myself a bit so that I don’t distract myself from completion – but I will certainly have to try some of those great ideas! 

Stubby

post-21893-0-90936100-1449495469_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I have finished planking the lower deck.  I built the frame separate from the hull so that I could remove it for planking, and even now have not glued it in place.  The inner hull planking too is not all glued in place; above the lower deck only the top inner hull plank is glued in place - the others are wedged in between the deck and that plank.  I did this so I could remove the deck to drill the mast hole later - and perhaps other holes if I decide to extend the pumps to the bilge.  

I also used pencil to mark up the sides of the deck planking to simulate calking.  I like the effect, but have some clean up.  There are some stray pencil marks, but I think they will come off with a light sanding.  I will take care of that after I drill the holes, so that i only need to sand once.

I am thinking I would like to pain the bottom of the deck white (as the ceiling of the hold), and do the same for the bulkhead and endorsed of the deck above.  There are so many great ideas from others who have built this model that I'm not sure what I'd like to do.

- Stubby

post-21893-0-81481000-1450532027_thumb.png

post-21893-0-85247700-1450532034_thumb.png

Edited by Stubby

• 3 years later...

So, three and a half years is a pretty lengthy hiatus from working on my models. Glad to be back though after going back to school and finishing a degree. I have done a little work - mostly recently, and thought I would post a progress report. I finished building all three decks, drilled the hole for the mast and built the mast foot. I also cut the hatches. The hatch to the hold is closed in the model plans, but I thought I would like it better open. I created a new problem for myself however, because it's quite a distance from the third deck to the bilge. I'm thinking about building a platform to receive the angled ladder (like the one between the first two decks) and then making a vertical ladder or two to climb down to the bilge.

I had originally marked out the gun ports in accordance to the model plans, but read that some other people had noted that the measurements were off. Placing a cannon of the gundeck to assess the gunport placement, I can see what they are talking about. The original port placement was certainly low. The required one seems high. but I guess it will have to do.

I was happy to see that later versions of this model are supplied with copper adhesive for the bottom rather than the crazy green strips that came with the model. That doesn't help me, though; I'll have to order some adhesive myself.  Here's hoping that I can be a little more focused and consistent in completing this model. 

thumbnail_Image-1.jpg

thumbnail_Image-1-1.jpg

thumbnail_Image-2.jpg

thumbnail_Image-3.jpg

thumbnail_Image-4.jpg

Stubby,

Nice - second start - Do you plan on coppering the lower hull?

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

md1400cs - I do plan to copper the lower hull, but the older kit that I have doesn't come equipped with it; I'll have to order some. I'm debating whether to get the adhesive copper tape/strips or pre-formed copper plating. Do you have experience with either/both?

I'm also considering putting portholes on the third deck. There are three on each side in the model plans, but there is no fitting in the kit. Looking at others who have completed the model, I don't see any with the portholes. If I go that route, I'll have to purchase/fabricate some sort of fitting. 

Edited by Stubby

The tape worked really well for me.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 weeks later...

I was out of town last week, so I didn't have much time to work on the model. Before I left though, I ordered some copper tape to copper the hull. Apparently I misread the description, because instead of getting the stick-on copper tape that I was expecting, I got a strip of copper. I considered using it anyway, but cutting, shaping, and filing the copper would probably be beyond my capability at present. I ordered a replacement this morning - hoping I got it right this time. I'm sure I'll find a use for the copper strips at some point in the future. The picture below shows what I thought I was ordering (left over from a previous build), what I actually got, and what came in the kit...

I built a platform to receive as ladder down to the hold/bilge. I think I like it, but maybe it takes up too much room. Still getting used to it. I also toyed with making new ladders; it wasn't easy with the very fragile wood included in the kit, and I'm a little worried that I am using too much of it up experimenting. I did finally find a method that worked okay. One thing that has bothered me for a while it the placement of the ports on the gun deck; the cannon seem to sit high. I made some gun carriages (out of scrap) to play with the placing. I'm toying with the idea of just lowering all three decks. At this point none are glued in, but it would take some effort and creative fabrication to widen the top two decks. Alternatively, I could just make the cannon carriages shorter - but I was hoping to rig them, and making the carriages smaller leaves less room for block and tackle fittings. Still mulling it all over...      

The dark brown carriage is the one that came in the kit. 
1466504879_Tapemistake.jpg.cc539be40ec956d314e237799021ff4a.jpgPlatform.jpg.8afd9f05dae23a351bba7c698869839e.jpg

Ladder.jpg

thumbnail_F782168A-5917-4E6B-9208-8383C2F605BA.jpg

thumbnail_E597FAB4-D86A-4462-A020-7955F8A59BDA.jpg

Cannons.jpg

Edited by Stubby

• 4 months later...

I'm getting inspiration from this and other builders' logs for this kit. I started mine over 20 years ago and let it fall by the wayside. It's my first wooden ship and I thought it was a good starter since it had all of the elements of a ship: frame,planking,decking,deck furniture,masts,spars and rigging, but only one set. I hope to start a build log too, which will be a place for me to ask people questions.

One comes to mind; anyone come up with a better way to mount this model? The plans are pretty vague. I'm guessing they want you to put a couple of screws up through that wood base and up into the keel which seems very unstable and fairly ugly.