HMAV Bounty By cobra1951 - Artesania Latina - 1:48

Hold well bulkheads planked and fitted.

I decided to use more Boxwood to plank the bulkheads and i used a smaller size just to give some contrast to the wider deck planking. Also i didn't go with the recommended 3mm x 1mm Sapelli for the door frame, to my eye it looked oversized, so i used 2mm x 1mm walnut instead. i then added some 2mm x 2mm the the bulkhead corners just for added strength and because i liked the look it, lol. The ring bolts on the door and the hold well box lid were treated with brass blackener before fitting

post-11947-0-56265400-1450794611_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-68367200-1450794623_thumb.jpg

Thanks to the information supplied by others doing logs of the same model i knew i would have to file away some of crossbeam 49 to allow the bilge pump tubes to pass through the deck.

Dry fitted the deck and marked out were the crossbeam needed trimming then removed deck and made the adjustment needed in the crossbeam

Then dry fitted the deck again and test fitted the bilge pump tubes.

post-11947-0-47253100-1451222870_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-68675500-1451222883_thumb.jpg

A quick question for other builders of this kit. with reference to picture 103 in the manual it shows parts and part numbers (472 and 473) to make up bales for the cargo, none of these parts are in my kit except for the rope, has anyone else got these parts IE. the basswood and the cloth in theirs or are you supposed to get your own. :huh:

Edited by Cobr@

Hi Bob,

Funny you should bring this up.  

First off, I have the Basswood (part 472) in the kit (long piece that needs to be cut to size), but no cloth (part 473).  If I decide to use bales I'll use some sail cloth I purchased for putting spare sails in the hold and building my hammocks.

Second, there has been some discussion on exactly what the bales are (cotton, etc), and if they were even on board the Bounty?

Either way, it's really the builders option to use them. I think they look cool and will probably use a few of them somewhere in the lower decks and/or the hold. 

I think Captain Al can give you much more details on these controversial items  :D

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Hi Boyd, thanks for the reply.  The wood is not too much of  problem as i have loads of wood batons lying about that i use to make things like plank cutting jigs etc. It was the cloth that i was more interested in. Like you say the bails could have been cotton so my plan is to get some wadding that they use to stuff pillows etc or even cotton wool and wrap that in cloth, this would leave the bales soft and lumpy like real ones, I am thinking about using an old off white t-shirt to do it with, because the sail cloth has stitching in it. As for the sails themselves i am still in two minds whether to use some of them in the holds or to use them on the masts, the reason for this is i think a sailing ship model looks better just fully rigged without sails on. I must emphasize this is just my own opinion and no way takes away from the look others decide to go with. :)

Very nice looking build Bob,

now`s your chance (accesswise)  to place nice Little inovative kit bashing details into the below deck Areas....

lovely work..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Good idea to use the wadding (I think I may do the same) :)  

I also prefer a fully rigged model without sails (just my personal opinion).  The rigging and mast structures are one of the most beautiful aspects of these ships and I think the sails conceal too much of them.  

However, I do like sails on schooners and tall ships  :)

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Very nice looking build Bob,

now`s your chance (accesswise)  to place nice Little inovative kit bashing details into the below deck Areas....

lovely work..

Nils

Hi Nils

Thanks for your kind words. The only thing i am planning on adding to the hold areas is a lot more cargo than is supplied with the kit. As you say while there is good access is the time to do it. I just have to keep the area where the ladders will be clear ;)

Good idea to use the wadding (I think I may do the same) :)

I also prefer a fully rigged model without sails (just my personal opinion).  The rigging and mast structures are one of the most beautiful aspects of these ships and I think the sails conceal too much of them.  

However, I do like sails on schooners and tall ships  :)

You're thinking is exactly on the same lines as mine, why hide all that beautiful intricate work that goes into the rigging ;)

Edited by Cobr@

Regarding bales... the wadding material is a good idea but in fact when they made up bales of cotton back then they were so tightly compacted to get as much cotton into as small a bale as possible that the bale was probably not very spongy at all.  That said, I had the stick of wood AL provided but I chose to use a stick of balsa instead, cut into the sizes I needed.  I haven't fixed them into the ship yet and won't decided on that til I'm putting finishing touches to the model.  Like Boyd noted, I can't figure out what bales of cotton would have been doing on the Bounty anyway.  The space may be much more useful for some other ornaments like spare spars or ropes or tools.  Oh, I used an old Tshirt as well.  Don't think it was even a clean one.

Hi Captain

I agree that the bales would have been tightly packed, so maybe the words "soft and lumpy" was the wrong term for me to use. The plan is to use the wadding but pack it as tightly as i can so that when it is roped up there will be a bit of give where the rope presses into the bale and not be solid like using the supplied wood would make them. Talking of the supplied wood i have now found it buried in among some of the other wood, but there are no plans to use it. I have dug out an old white t-shirt that has faded and i will be using that for the covering. They probably where not on the Bounty anyway unless they were to be used for trading, but they look good so i will use them. :)

Got myself some 1/48 scale mixed sized crates to use for extra cargo. They seem okay for the job and have a good degree of detail, so i have ordered some more. Just need to give them a good degreasing and paint them up to look the part now :)

post-11947-0-20239800-1451497525_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-34692200-1451501224_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-65997700-1451501235_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cobr@

Those are great crates as for cargo.

Why not wrap them with a thin wool HD ( high dense)  material...... oh, yes that's the way I would go....   :)

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Bob

Great decking, you sure have touched a lot of areas in your build so far, I do like to see lots of detail above and below deck,  well done,                                                                  ENJOY

Regards   Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence for the kind words :)

Those are great crates as for cargo.

Why not wrap them with a thin wool HD ( high dense)  material...... oh, yes that's the way I would go....   :)

I have purchased some cargo netting as well so the plan is once painted up most of the crates will be stacked in piles in the holds then lashed to the decks then covered by the cargo nets ;)

Hi LA

I got mine from the eBay UK site but you can get them from the US eBay site i had a look on there and they have exactly the same ones. Go on eBay and use search term 1/48 scale crates and you will get loads of them. Be careful though some are crates plus tents. There are some better ones on there than the ones i got but they are not available here. :)

Edited by Cobr@

I decided to order some different crates but these will be a while as they are coming from Canada. Not wanting to be bored, i painted up a few of the crates i already have just as a test and then made them into a stack as if they where in the hold and then made them look aged (bit like me lol). When i do the actual crates i wish to use i will fit eye bolts into the deck in the holds and then using some rigging cord i will lash the stack to the deck.

post-11947-0-46757500-1451836696_thumb.jpg

Once i am satisfied with the placement of all the finished crates i end up with i will them place some cargo netting over the crate stack. In the next picture i have just placed the netting over the stack just for demo purposes, the final fitting will be a piece of netting cut to size then tied down to the same eye bolts that the crates are lashed down with. I am also going to try and see if bleaching the netting will get rid of the green colour and if it does i will then dye the netting to a more natural hemp colour. If not i will just have to put up with the green. Also once stretche the netting will have a thinner appearance than it does in the photo.

post-11947-0-06284800-1451837124_thumb.jpg

Next project is an attempt to make some flour sacks and some potato sacks

Sorted out the cargo netting

Changed it from this green colour

post-11947-0-91626900-1452043451_thumb.jpg

To this more natural looking hemp colour. As the netting is 100% natural cotton and not nylon i just dropped it in a 50-50 solution of water and bleach for 3 to 4 minutes then rinsed all the bleach out of it

post-11947-0-91990600-1452043619_thumb.jpg

Still getting my cargo items together

I was going to make some sacks from modelling clay as i could not find any decent ones in 1/48 scale. Then i struck on the idea of searching for O gauge sacks and suddenly i found lots of them. Although O gauge is not 1/48 scale it is 1/43 scale and that is near enough for me.

These will be use to represent potato sacks etc

post-11947-0-08159900-1452523577_thumb.jpg

These were for mail sacks but they will do fine for my flour sacks

post-11947-0-96033200-1452523637_thumb.jpg

And as the crew have to eat at some point i got them some baskets of fruit and vegetables :)

post-11947-0-02477200-1452523722_thumb.jpg

Waiting on some more wooden barrels and buckets now

Edited by Cobr@

Painted up some crates and weathered them with a mid grey wash and hacked a few bits here and there to make them look old, then glued them to the rear cargo hold deck.

Then i blackened some more eye bolts and fitted them around the crates.

post-11947-0-76335900-1452539940_thumb.jpg

Next i took some rigging cord and lashed the crates down. I may not use the cargo nets because they hide a lot of detail and once the middle deck is on it will be dark in there, so i may just use them over some of the near side cargo.

post-11947-0-17602000-1452539958_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cobr@

Thanks Boyd

you can find the sacks and lots of other stuff here  http://www.ogauge.co.uk/accessories_c5721.aspx

The postage is a bit dear though around $15 for you

Edited by Cobr@

Still waiting on some wooden barrels, so i painted up the sacks for something to do

Unpainted flour sacks

post-11947-0-22412400-1453041309_thumb.jpg

Painted and weathered

post-11947-0-34281000-1453041341_thumb.jpg

Unpainted potato sacks

post-11947-0-11554400-1453041374_thumb.jpg

Small selection of the painted and weathered potato sacks

post-11947-0-74650100-1453041417_thumb.jpg

Got my wooden barrels today, first thing to do was get all the kit supplied barrels and throw them in the trash as they don't look like any period barrels i have ever seen :huh:

Next was to paint up all the new barrels

post-11947-0-56123500-1453217030_thumb.jpg

Got some more buckets in 2 sizes, so they will be painted next. The smaller ones don't look to good but they may be able to be rescued.

post-11947-0-49940800-1453217191_thumb.jpg

Soon be able to start filling the holds then fit the middle deck