Stropping Blocks

hof00

A question that I have prior to rigging the Endeavour.

I have been using annealed, Plastic coated wire in my previous Models, 19th century or later as this represents Iron Strops for this period. (And is pretty easy to form.)

For a 18th century Ship, I believe that the Blocks were Stropped with rope.

Does anyone have a "Sure Fire" (Simple) method of using a rope Strop that is going to look "In Scale?"

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

HOF, take a look at the utube video. It took some practice on my part but using the right thread all looks in scale. He also has several other videos related to rigging.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Did you check out his other videos?

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

I have to say that I find this approach gives me some troubles.

I rig blocks exactly as the video shows, an S with a whipping in the middle.

Then pull the ends to tighten around spar or block as appropriate.

I then liberally 'paint' with 50/50 PVA as I don't like CA.

They look real good.

But the problem I sometimes get is that 'bitter' end as it were of the loop going around the block is only held by the whipping friction.

When it is rigged on the ship the block has a tensioning force applied.

That force is sometimes enough to pull the end of the loop out from under the whipping.

So what I now do is exactly as detailed, then add an extra ingredient:

Using a very fine line (I use fly tying thread) and a needle I run a couple of stiches straight through the whipping at 90 degrees.

Thereby cross stitching both loops.

Nick

Thanks again

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Thanks Nick/Mark,

To answer your question Mark, I have not viewed the other clips as of now, but I intend to!!

Thanks for your words of wisdom Nick!!

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

I used to do it that way, until I saw something much easier, and far less risky.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/230-hms-vulture-by-dan-vadas-1776-148-scale-16-gun-swan-class-sloop-from-tffm-plans-completed/page-79#entry264191

the whole seizing is fake, and the strop is just secured with some PVA at the oppiosite end of the block. As I work in 1:100 scale, this worked far more neatly (you can make the seizing much smaller, without increasing the risk of the strop loosening while at tension.

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Great video Mark, Thank you for sharing that. I will be checking out his other videos as well.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thanks, glad to be of help.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

• 1 month later...

I recently realized that the technique I was using to strop a block to an eyebolt was sort of the opposite of the one you refer to, Jan (Dan Vadas' technique of tying an overhand knot around the backside of the block).  Instead, I tie the overhand knot within the eyebolt, then apply glue to the overhand knot. The overhand knot is then hidden between the block and whatever the eyebolt is inserted into, whether that's the deck or a spar. My technique won't work if one is seizing a block directly to a spar, as the overhand knot would then be plainly visible.

The only downside is that I am currently using CA to secure that overhand knot within the eyebolt, until I figure out a better adhesive. I like the sound of using art preservationist glue, as mentioned in the blog about CA, and will be doing some testing on that idea.

In the meantime, here is a picture:  

post-3864-0-68645600-1458323421_thumb.jpg

The black line forms an overhand knot within the eyebolt. Since this was a practice run, I was using red fly-tying line to tie the seizing.

JD

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

Further testing suggests that flat topcoat may work as an alternative adhesive to CA. I have one bottle left of Floquil Model Railroad Flat Topcoat, so I guess I better make it last! 

It would seem to me that when using a synthetic thread like fly-tying line to tie a seizing around a cotton/linen line, using PVA type glues to secure those seizings will be less effective. Let me know if anyone can confirm that.

JD

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

One can also use a flat varnish instead of CA on rigging.  It dries pretty quick and looks good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

It would seem to me that when using a synthetic thread like fly-tying line to tie a seizing around a cotton/linen line, using PVA type glues to secure those seizings will be less effective. Let me know if anyone can confirm that.

That must be why so many of my sizings have slipped/failed!! I will have to try the varnish.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Here is a 1/8" block I stropped and attached to an eyebolt on the foremast for my Pride 2. The line is .008" line from Syren, and the seizing is done with fly tying line. The technique I used was the s-shaped technique shown on the video in the post above. I think it has turned out pretty well. I think the only way to improve on it is to use the technique of David Antscherl, where you create a small closed loop of line, then seize it to the block. The closed loop is big enough that it leaves a loop available on the other side of the seizing, where the eyebolt or spar would go.

The second picture shows an overview of the area, where the foremast and the foretopmast meet.

post-3864-0-08424200-1459632302_thumb.jpg

post-3864-0-99382000-1459632354_thumb.jpg

JD