HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Hi Dan,

I have been reading your fantastic log and getting a number of great ideas.

I am working on a AL Swift which I started and stopped many years ago.

I am trying to create more realistic anchors and was planning to use some ideas from your build.

I was hoping you could provide more detail for how you created the anchor straps from dyed card stock.

What type of dye and how was it applied? Anything special about the card Stock?

Your work is incredible and your log is both inspirational and educational.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Chuck

PS the question pertains to page 94

Sent you a PM Chuck.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

How the Model will be built

My intention is to build this model as Fully Framed with the Starboard side open and the Port Side fully planked - both Hull and Decks.

Interior details like the Footwaling and Thickstuff (Port side only), Deck Clamps, Mast Steps, Breasthooks, Cabin Bulkheads, Companions (ladders) etc will be added.

The Decks will feature all the fittings like the Guns (Port side only), Bitts, Pumps, Capstan, Anchors etc.

All Masts and Yards will be fitted, and the ship will be fully Rigged.

A Scratchbuilt Cutter will be included.

This model will be completely Scratchbuilt, down to the Rigging Line and Blocks. The only "Non-Scratchbuilt" parts in this model will be the Gun Barrels. These will come from

Shipmodels in Russia, cast in Brass by Alex Baranov. Sorry, but I don't have the skills to make them as well as he can :) .

I expect it will take me about 3 to 4 years to complete this model. But I'm in no hurry, so it may take longer.

I am sorry, but not from Russia, from Ukraine.

I am sorry, but not from Russia, from Ukraine.

My mistake, you are correct.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

• 1 year later...

Hi Dan:

I've enjoyed an amazing morning going through your HMS Vulture build log...thank you for taking the time to post this as you made the model...it is an inspiration for others.

I have a question...I see you obtained your cannons from "ShipModels" and used 41mm size to represent 6 pounders for this Swan class model.  My question for you is what size of Trunion Capsquares did you order?  Looks like he calls these "Holders of a Pin" and they come in a variety of sizes.  From your build log it sounds like the ones you obtained were 1mm longer than you would have preferred....I'd be interested to know which you ordered and if you'd recommend purchasing the next size down to use with the 41mm cannon.

Eagerly await your reply....thanks!

Best Regards,

Cliff

Cliff Ward

Cary, North Carolina

USA

Thanks for the kind words Cliff :).

I didn't actually order the Trunion Caps. Shipmodels kindly threw them in for free, and also gave me 13 barrels but only charged for the 8 I ordered :). It looks like they cast them in a mould of 14 (one was missing), so they gave me all of them.

I think the next size down may be a bit small, although you could file out the half-hole for the trunion or file down the trunion itself. It's a bit hard to say unless you have both sizes to compare. The larger ones are hardly noticeable as being a bit big on the model.

Cheers, Danny

Thank you Danny, i appreciate the quick reply...I'll reach out to Shipmodels.  I've learned from other modeling efforts that when international sourcing from cottage industries is involved, a great deal of patience and time is often involved....and if you see something you like, you should be certain to obtain it when readily available.

Looking at the Shipmodels site, I am reminded of comments others have said....the ship modelers in eastern Europe are quite good craftsmen!...I wonder if they have the same challenges attracting younger modelers to their ranks?

Cliff Ward

Cary, North Carolina

USA

6 hours ago, clifforddward said:

I've learned from other modeling efforts that when international sourcing from cottage industries is involved, a great deal of patience and time is often involved.

That's for sure Cliff. It took me a little while to get through to Shipmodels, I don't know if things have improved in the last 5 years or so. The language barrier is another thing to ponder - I had to use Google Translate, which sometimes comes up with weird results :D.

Cheers, Danny

Hi Cliff,

Just want to pass on my experience with them. I recall the only problem Danny had with the guns was that it took a while to get them. Other than that, what I read was very positive. I contacted Alex for cannon for my Euryalus in advance so that a wait would not matter and also I could start on the carriages when modeller's block happened. I wanted 46, 52, 60 and 65mm cannon and 32 and 45mm carronades. The problems were he could only supply 46 and 65mm and the 52 were without King George insignia. Also there was a minimum order of 100 euros with a 60 euro postage cost. I could wear that but the differences in scale would have been too obvious. (You may recall Danny had problems with 1mm!:D) I will attempt to turn up one of each on my lathe and then cast them in resin. I would be interested in your experience.

Regards,

Russell

Hi Russell:

I re-sent my original email after doing an online translation using "Bing Translator" to Russian.  Heard back from Alex the next day, he indicated he has not done casting for some time and does not remember if he still has the pattern for the cannon I asked for.  It was unclear to me if he still WILL cast them if he can find the pattern...I'll make another posting here on the forum when I hear from him again...he did say he'd write back to me after looking.

I suppose worst cast I could make up a pattern after turning the cannon and carving the King George insignia.  Then work with an investment casting person to get them cast up in brass.  Resin would perhaps be easier, but think I'd prefer brass if possible.

In 1:48, these cannon could easily be accomplished by lost wax casting and while I lost my prior casting source I believe there are enough cottage industry "hobby" lost wax casters out there that I could get some cannon made up.

Best Regards,

Cliff

Cliff Ward

Cary, North Carolina

USA

Not so fast Cliff. Check out THESE Monograms from Syren Ship Models to see if they will be suitable :) .

Cheers, Danny

I used the monograms from Syren on Atalanta.  I was very pleased with them.  Take a look at my build log.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 2 months later...

Hi Dan....want to thank you for the lead on obtaining cannon from Alexey Baranov in Ukraine.  Time from first email to receipt of the 20 cannon I ordered was 9 weeks, a perfectly acceptable timeline for me considering the "cottage industry" nature of Alexey's operation and matters relating to our two countries/shipping/customs and the like.  All in all a very pleasant experience.  He has some similar sized English cannon as well as some beautiful French cannon that I plan to purchase over the winter for future use...I have my eye on building a couple of American Revolutionary War  and War of 1812 era ships where other sizes of English and French cannon would be appropriate.  

With exchange rate and shipping factored in the cost of these cannon are higher than others I could obtain domestically, but still a minor cost of a ship build considering they are one of the few items to be bought in versus making myself from scratch.  

I have no passion at this time to learn lost wax casting, so I am happy to buy in these cannon from Alexey.

Thanks again,

Cliff

1-Cannon from Alexey.JPG

Edited by clifforddward

Cliff Ward

Cary, North Carolina

USA

Thanks for the compliment Svein :).

That's great Cliff, glad you like them :). They don't take a lot of cleaning up, apart from the obvious removal of the casting lug and some very minor flash. I think it took me an hour to do all my barrels.

After removing the majority of the lug using a drum sander in my Dremel and filing them with needle files I used a wire brush in my Dremel to give them a "polish", then a bath in white vinegar and another in Acetone, and finally I blackened them using Birchwood Casey Brass Black diluted 1:10 with water for 1 or 2 minutes only. This left them a "bronzey" colour rather than solid black, leaving all the details showing up better.

I also drilled the bores a few millimetres into the barrels before blackening.

Cheers, Danny

No instructions, but as I've worked with lost wax castings in the past for model railroading activity it is a pretty simple process...file/sand away the flash and gates from the casting process, then I like to use a fine airbrush type sand blaster I have to provide an even "tooth" to the part before either painting or blackening....For these, to accentuate the detail, I'm considering a darker base coat with slightly lighter color overall via heavy handed dry-brush technique...not to the degree that most plastic modelers do it, just a very slightly lighter dark paint to add in "texture"...and then a tiny bit of lighter color via gentle dry-brushing to add in highlights: basically painting in sunlight....I may be describing it horribly, it's really easier to do than describe and involves building up several increasingly lighter layers of paint to add dimension to the cannon.

Cliff Ward

Cary, North Carolina

USA

Cliff, I wouldn't paint the barrels - you'd lose too much detail, no matter how little paint you applied. Take another look at THIS post of my barrels after blackening.

Cheers, Danny

• 2 years later...

I am just reading your log now 9/12/20 I 'm only on the fifth page.  I was a cabinetmaker for twenty-five years.  Oh my God my hat is off, beautiful work.  I am working a kit build now, started a long time ago.  Your skills, patience, talent...you inspire me to make the best of my kit build with no compromises!  If it's not right I will do it again.  Thank you for sharing, hope all is well.