Next Build?

My Amati Bounty build is on the home straight, only the running rigging to go. Time to start thinking seriously about the next build.

There has been lots of speculative thought about scratch building something, particularly after scratch building the Bounty's ship's boats, but the thought of having to schedule out and order all the timber and multitude of other bits and pieces required, source plans etc is a bit overwhelming so it looks like another kit is the go.

I thoroughly enjoyed the hull construction of the Bounty, particularly significant modifications to bring the kit build more in line with the ship as described in Mackay's Anatomy of the Ship book.

I would like a model with a more complex hull (the Bounty is flush decked) and, as I am currently reading the Hornblower series a Napoleonic era British man-o-war is very appealing. The size and scale of the model is of importance. The Bounty is 1:60, my previous build, the P J Schooner is 1:50 and i don't want to go too much smaller in scale than this. The size of the finished model is also significant, I don't live in a huge house and a model a metre or more in length would be a bit much.

Looking through the various model manufacturers web sites there are plenty of options but the number reduces pretty quickly when I apply the above parameters.

One option which sounds good is the hero ship of the Master and Commander book series, HMS Surprise. There seem to be 3 kits about, the AL version at 1:48 which at 1.340mm long is a bit big, the Mamoli version at 1:75 which ends up 845mm long, about right, and the mystery Jotika version which I can't find much information on. Does anyone know if this kit is available yet and if so, what scale it is?

I have searched for any build logs for the Mamoli kit but they seem to be thin on the ground. does anyone know of a build log? I have examined the few pics I have been able to find of the kit online but they don't tell me very much. A major concern is that the main gun deck can't really be seen through the waist and I am guessing that the guns are muzzle ends stuck to a bulkhead. If this is the case, and any comments clarifying this would be greatly appreciated, a real challenge could be to kit bash to include much more internal detail. Interesting thought.

Comments about choice of next build and which kit would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

David.

(Update Bounty pics with completed standing rig)

post-984-0-37781200-1364881352_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-24623200-1364882861_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-86288100-1364882874_thumb.jpg

Previous Builds:  Port Jackson Schooner  Modellers Shipyard 1:50

HMS Bounty  Amati 1:60

HMS Surprise Timber Scratch Build 1:75

Current Build:    HMS Bellona Timber Scratch Build 1:75

Have you thought about a Fly or Pegasus? They pretty much meet the criteria you suggest. Similar scale, about the right size. Good detail and some room to kitbash improvements.

Or there's Caldercraft to consider.. one of their sloops, Cruizer, Snake, Mars, Jalouse?  I guess the Diana is just a bit too big for your space... Maybe the Grenado (you could also consider the Amati version of that one), or Badger...

Euromodel is worth looking into as well... the Mordaunt should just fit into your space and scale requirements...

Ask Mobbsie about the Caldercraft HMS Surprise... but don't hold your breath waiting for it to be released any time soon...

Hope that helps

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

David,

Why not reconsider the scratch build idea. If you go with something like a swan class, you can buy the timber as a "package" from Hobbymill in the US. (Check out Danny Vadas's log). Or if you want to try something a little smaller to "get your feet wet" you could do an Echo cross section - again with a timber package from Hobbymill. Just a thought for you.....

Edited by gjdale

David,

The others have offered excellent suggestions but I'd like to step backward and address the Mamoli Surprise.  If it doesn't have a full length gundeck, consider a serious bash.  You'll start with a kit and then scratchbuild your way out of it.  I did the AL Constellation that way.  Ended up with an almost one of a kind ship.  (Almost as there's another builder scratchbuilding her  :)  :)  :) ).  There's another builder doing the same thing to the MS Constitution.  Takes some thinking through to do and it would be a challenge.

No matter which way you decide to go, have fun with it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the feedback so far, some interesting suggestions.

The Mamoli Surprise with alterations and additions is looking attractive.

I haven't done any serious research yet but I'm sure others have, can anyone advise on what books or other information is available to assist in upgrading the Mamoli Surprise kit to include the full gun deck and other details that may not be in this kit.

One thing, several in fact, I would need to source are appropriate full length cannon barrels. Gun carriages should be easy enough to make up, but the barrels might present a bit of a challenge.

I found this lovely pic of the inside of Jack Aubrey's cabin, recreating this would be fun.

post-984-0-45913400-1365043989.jpg

(Pic from http://www.thedearsurprise.com)

Cheers,

David.

Hi David,

I have been reading your thoughts about looking for your next challenge in ship building. I have posted a similar comment on MSW before but here goes. I purchased a kit directly from Euromodel and grappled with what I mistakenly thought was a problem. Their plans were SO impressive with incredible detail that it gave me some concerns to start with as I was used to copying exactly what was in kit drawings and replicating exactly what was shown. I started with their Royal William and began a comprehensive build log. So delighted were they, that they sent me another five kits to work on !

So for the last four years, I have been posting build logs on the Euromodel website for six different models. The posting is gradual for all ships and currently after all this time I am now re-writing all this material. The text provides alternative approaches and is supplemented with many photos. I have no financial connection or anything to gain from all of this but the incredible thing about these kits is that you start off with a 'kit build' and then find yourself readily drawn into a 'quasi scratch' build. The kit provides the basics but their online shop readily supplies additional material if needed. The company has proved to be vey responsive and reliable. In summary, they fill the gap beautifully between a straight kit build and a full scratch build.

Hopefully, this post may encourage you to visit their website to see what I have done and what they have to offer.

Thanks for the comments so far, I would really appreciate any information that anyone has on available material to assist in working up the Mamoli Surprise.

Cheers,

David.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Navis,

I am also building a bounty. I have scoured the internet for reference material and your build log has been VITAL. The quality of your build is excellent and a pleasure to observe. I sorely miss the pictures from the first half of your build. If you have any could you add more to the first post? I am sure there are many others like me lurking in the background :)

Thanks for the comments so far, I would really appreciate any information that anyone has on available material to assist in working up the Mamoli Surprise.

Cheers,

David.

Please, Mamoli Surprise photo gallery

post-215-0-88501200-1367850811_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

I think the Mamoli Surprise is more or less the same as the Mamoli La Gloire but with different castings. La Gloire is a cheaper kit and might be a better base to kitbash, 

Seeing that you are in Aus, go to Hobbyco, they're the official Aus supplier for Mamoli kits and will probably be the cheapest option.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince