US Brig Syren by David Rice - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

34 minutes ago, reklein said:

I musta glued my stern pieces back together about 10 times. I haven't been anywhere but in the shop under the A/C. Was 104 here today. I'll put up some pics of my planking. I JUst closed up the hull today. Oh,BTW the stern gets much stronger once you get it all together.

If these Kit stern pieces fail, I'll make my own. I sure am glad I left Idaho before the heat arrived. Only 60 degrees here in Paradise. 

Starting the Model Shipways U.S. Brig Syren

Working on the Caldercraft HMS Snake

Completed Scratch Built of Russian Armed Merchant Ship Neva 1801-1805

Scratch Commercial Fishing Vessels

Given the problems others have experienced with the Stern Pieces, I decided to try strengthening them. After sanding all the char and some of the pink finish off, I am now soaking the pieces in a solution of 50/50 Titebond and water. I'll soak 6 hours, then dry at least 12 hours. 

IMG_5725.JPG

IMG_5726.JPG

Might just work. I used a lot of CA to strengthen mine. Also the bulkhead extensions kept breaking till I got planking on them. They were all crooked and stuff but I realized they are all covered with planking .

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

15 minutes ago, reklein said:

Might just work. I used a lot of CA to strengthen mine. Also the bulkhead extensions kept breaking till I got planking on them. They were all crooked and stuff but I realized they are all covered with planking .

I soaked them for 4 hours. They soaked up a amazing about of glue/water.  Drying now.

IMG_5730 (1).JPG

So far so good.  I haven't snapped off anything yet, even though I hit them good a few times. I believe soaking the stern frames in a glue/water solution did strengthen them. 

IMG_5731.JPG

IMG_5732.JPG

IMG_5734.JPG

IMG_5735.JPG

Hope that solves the wood issue!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Moving right along.  So far I haven't experienced any part failures or breaks.  

IMG_5737.JPG

IMG_5738.JPG

IMG_5739.JPG

IMG_5741.JPG

IMG_5742.JPG

IMG_5743.JPG

Explain to me how the cannon picture can be used at this stage.  Would you change the way you frame the gun ports based on where it point?  Would cutting out below the barrel give a better indication of height at the port?

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

23 minutes ago, Heronguy said:

Explain to me how the cannon picture can be used at this stage.  Would you change the way you frame the gun ports based on where it point?  Would cutting out below the barrel give a better indication of height at the port?

Just playing around with it.  Like adding pets or naked girls for ambience to a picture.

I

43 minutes ago, David Rice said:

Just playing around with it.  Like adding pets or naked girls for ambience to a picture.

I'm a big fan of ambience!  Rock on David. 

Doug

The Stern has been a big challenge. But, I would guess it is on all model ships. I never broke a piece.

IMG_5744.JPG

IMG_5762.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

IMG_5765.JPG

As for the cannon I do recall to put the picture, on a stick of the deck planking to get the right height of the port. Don't know which page it is located on since I am at work and not having the manual in front of me.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Looks really fine David.  Another milestone met.

Doug

9 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

As for the cannon I do recall to put the picture, on a stick of the deck planking to get the right height of the port. Don't know which page it is located on since I am at work and not having the manual in front of me.

I recall having seen that too but I don't recall anyone in any of the build logs getting anything changed because of it.  I wondered it it is just a rite-of-passage for the Syren?

Doug

Yes, you use the cannon picture on a stick when you build the stern ports to check to see if you are making them the correct height for the cannons.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

1 minute ago, JesseLee said:

Yes, you use the cannon picture on a stick when you build the stern ports to check to see if you are making them the correct height for the cannons.

Jesse

So it is a double check on the template?

Doug

Yes

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I worked on the stern filler blocks last night. A little more sanding and tweaking, then I'll start planking. 

IMG_5768.JPG

IMG_5769.JPG

I would have posted sooner but I had that posting problem going around. I wanted to warn you that you need to have the stern post in place with the stern Rabbet in place before you begin planking.

Bill, in Idaho

David, was just thinking ,it might be interesting if you took some pics of interesting boats in the harbors there and posted them up in the Things Nautical section. If you please of course.

Bill, in Idaho

39 minutes ago, reklein said:

David, was just thinking ,it might be interesting if you took some pics of interesting boats in the harbors there and posted them up in the Things Nautical section. If you please of course.

I presume you mean the older fishing boats.   Summer Troll season has started and most are out of Port right now.  Replaced by the rich tourists Yachts. I'll look around.   I am heading back to Idaho in late September for ATV riding.  If you have not explored the Idaho side of Hells Canyon around Sheep Rock and Black Lakes, you need to. Spectacular views across the Canyon to the Wallowas. Lot's of critters. Few people visit that area.

David those areas are very familiar for us.....;)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I drove up along the Snake river from Lewiston to the Grande Ronde a couple weeks ago. Always spectacular scenery. Also 'bout once a year I get down to Joseph Oregon for an art gallery fix and great scenery. My cousins live in Whitebird and its fun to go there too.

Bill, in Idaho

1 hour ago, reklein said:

I drove up along the Snake river from Lewiston to the Grande Ronde a couple weeks ago. Always spectacular scenery. Also 'bout once a year I get down to Joseph Oregon for an art gallery fix and great scenery. My cousins live in Whitebird and its fun to go there too.

You can drive a pickup truck or SUV to Sheep Rock. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_015844.pdf    

Huckleberry Campground is small, but very clean. My friend takes his 30 foot trailer in there. Good road.  Besides Sheep Rock, there are two fire lookouts, and lot's of old mining relics to explore.   Pretty cool place.

David - I am just now catching up with your log. Can you tell me where you got the Emory Boards?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Thanks!

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

David - I ordered these same emory boards from Amazon. They arrived on Friday and I got a chance to use them over the weekend. Thank you! great idea. I will use these a lot.

I have been making slow progress. I am getting sidetracked. The Salmon are entering the small bay located down the street from me, and I am spending way too much time Fly Fishing.

IMG_6028.JPG

IMG_6029.JPG

IMG_6030.JPG