42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834 by Eddie - SMALL - Scale 1:36

Hey howya goin all, this will be my third build log of a ship and will be my first scratch build of a boat.   :bird-vi:

I will be starting this build when I get my scroll saw which will be nere the end of june and the timber not to long after that if I stop been lazy and finish the list of timber I need, I was thinking of using Walnut , I plan on making two of these one with the cannon on it and one with sails on it.

Longboats are designed to be carried by warships; they are stowed on the upper deck between the gangways, resting on chocks fastened to the deck. With the longboat aboard, the barge is placed inside it, while inside the bargeis the cutter. The longboat's thwarts are removable, allowing the barge to be stowed more snugly. Longboats are the ship's boats most commonly used in the Navy for transport of the heavier loads so frequently required by the warships. Their broad, generous lines are suitable for the diverse tasks which they are called upon to perform: carrying the anchors, a common task when mooring, shore duties, watering parties, carrying stores when the ship is in service.

From time to time however they may participate in more warlike activities: harbour defense or the protection of landing troops and raiding parties. Under these circumstances, they are sometimes armed with a single gun, an 18-pdr, 24-pdr or even a 36-pdr. It is then that they are described as "armed boats", and it is this arrangement which is to be seen in this model. 

It should be noted that there is a distinction to be drawn between armed boats and gunboats: despite the large gun carried by the former on the thwarts, it remains a classic ship's boat, whereas gunboats are larger in size, are frequently decked, and may carry several guns.

So heres what I got so far.

590ef85367083_ArmedLongBoatPlans001.thumb.JPG.73aca1f4f27159b021675da7b95e7905.JPG

590ef85674c30_ArmedLongBoatPlans002.thumb.JPG.5586d4b0aa48e9d24dfa3c80a5381d37.JPG

590ef859ba2ee_ArmedLongBoatPlans003.thumb.JPG.4389e9633567295f973dd20e3ce1b2d8.JPG

590ef85cc69f4_ArmedLongBoatPlans004.thumb.JPG.30bc03ef1ffd843666b68954c3a6a3a1.JPG

590ef860521f3_ArmedLongBoatPlans005.thumb.JPG.b44df8267a0d0d5c396cdb284065bffd.JPG

590ef8635e329_ArmedLongBoatPlans006.thumb.JPG.0b2efa929a24aead3bd27edfc42a86a4.JPG

The one with the sails I'm making I had to order the plans for the sails separately as they don't come in English like the other plans I will be scanning the French language manual into my computer mybe a PDF file and copy and paste it to Google translate to translate them to English.

590ef8657a11f_ArmedLongBoatPlans007.thumb.JPG.9cb5341b3a5363e898e3dcfebd09c53d.JPG

590ef8689b958_ArmedLongBoatPlans008.thumb.JPG.5101dfdb3a0b1312c9d301687b42e3f2.JPG

590ef86b8bca5_ArmedLongBoatPlans009.thumb.JPG.c66766bc5c63ddeb8ae6e760c440863a.JPG

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

31 minutes ago, aviaamator said:

Eddie! I wish You much success!

Hey howya goin Aviaamator mate, thank mate, I just edited in more info on the boats if you like to read it.   :bird-vi:

18 minutes ago, WackoWolf said:

I am pulling up a chair.

Hey howya goin Joe mate, thanks for joining in I hope you got the beer, I just edited in more info on the boats if you like to read it.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hey howya goin all, Iv'e started to cut the moulds for the frame work, after I riped the ply I realize that the strips of ply won't fit into my cross cut sled so I have to make a bigger one tomorrow. As I'm making two boats I decided to make 2 moulds. 

I have to print 24 plans so cut out the individual shapes and stick them to the ply pieces instead to shape the moulds. Heres alittle trick for some of you for when you are making scratch build frames instead of printing out the frames on plain paper, print them out on A4 size postage labels that already have one sticky side that way you don't have to put glue on the frames and when you go to pull the paper off have to deal with all that glue to sand off.    :bird-vi:

590f07b4435e9_ArmedLongBoatPlans011.thumb.JPG.0f14a95d42197361efffbeccfdbcaaeb.JPG

590f03fa1c90d_ArmedLongBoatPlans011.thumb.JPG.5e555e8d363ad1416bf36d925652efb0.JPG

590f03fdeddbf_ArmedLongBoatPlans012.thumb.JPG.d60da4a2a296d9f07022b85e1abcea09.JPG

590f0400d7618_ArmedLongBoatPlans013.thumb.JPG.d8b4dc8117352f088aa147237dca9605.JPG

Hey howya goin Steve mate, thanks for joining.    :bird-vi:

On 5/11/2017 at 1:57 PM, Tim Murphy said:

This Build should be a great one to follo

Hey howya goin Tim mate, thanks mate, weclome aboard.   :bird-vi:

2 minutes ago, WBlakeny said:

I'm in as well. I have this monographie lying around as well.

Hey howya goin Chris mate, thanks, when are you going to start your?    :bird-vi:

Hey howya goin all, I've printed out the templates and have started to cut them up and stick them to the mod pieces, I had to do them in two parts as I don't have an A3 printer and when I get my scroll saw at the end of June I can start to cut them out and start shapeing the mods.    :bird-vi:

591b21764d55a_ArmedLongBoatPlans015.thumb.JPG.017f77e33f98db4c1c71f310ac8f2f69.JPG

591b217a4133d_ArmedLongBoatPlans016.thumb.JPG.6ded48878994fc4173ff4a3a7eccccd1.JPG

591b217d4ac8d_ArmedLongBoatPlans017.thumb.JPG.31bce17e877f532af91f14ae161c5e12.JPG

591b21806021e_ArmedLongBoatPlans018.thumb.JPG.6e59ddae24e503cb8c077398e236b9eb.JPG

Hi Eddie.

You got my interest. 

Looking good so far.

Regards Antony

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hey howya goin Antony mate, thanks.   :bird-vi:

Hey howya goin all, I've decide on the timber for the two boats, the one with the canon will be out of Walnut and the one with the sails will be out of Mahogany. Will be ordering the timber in about 3 weeks hopefully.    :bird-vi:

Hi Eddie - 

I am following along as well and looking forward to your progress.  

The two woods that you have chosen are pretty dark.  You may not like the boat that color.  You can always stain a wood darker, but not lighter.  For comparison, here are two boats that I did, and the lighter one is always the more popular.  

They are in the same scale as your build, 1:36.  The lighter one is stained basswood, the darker is cherry.

Whatever you choose, best of success.

Dan

591fb5a00e3a8_30b-twoboatsfinished2.thumb.jpg.f4ca006b38ebcf0fefc296e914d26175.jpg

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Hey howya goin Dan mate, thanks for that, they do look good. I dont want to stain them but I will think about the wood more.  :bird-vi:

Hey howya goin all, I've just translated the French pages of the sails guide into English it took about 15 min, you got to love technology and bloody curse it at the same time.    :bird-vi:

If anyone wants the English translation here it is, there might some words that Google translate didn't translate.  Longboat sail Instruction English.pdf 

Oh you will need the three plans to know the sail sizes, mast sizes and the extra bits & bobs that go on the boat you can order the plans from here  http://gerard.delacroix.pagesperso-orange.fr/Chaloupe_greement/plaquette.htm

Hey Eddie,

I have the plans for this boat too - it's on my "one-day" list.

In the meantime, here's an extra tip for you with your sticky label paper patterns. Cover your wood with strips of low tack painters tape first (you can get it in Bunnings). That way, the pattern will be much easier to remove after cutting your timber out.

Hey howya goin Grant mate, thanks for the tip, I normaly do that when I stick normal paper with spray adhesive to wood.     :bird-vi: