HMS Victory by hec - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

I would like to share pics of my HMS Victory by Mamoli. The plans were crude so i spent more thinking planning and researching. Thanks to MSW. I still have to decide if i should use the 'green' strips as second planking below the water line, or use the copper plates from Model Expo. 

post-858-0-50193500-1365859079_thumb.jpg

post-858-0-85607600-1365859080_thumb.jpg

post-858-0-00862300-1365859082_thumb.jpg

post-858-0-86886300-1365859082_thumb.jpg

post-858-0-70064800-1365859083_thumb.jpg

post-858-0-48549600-1365859084_thumb.jpg

post-858-0-35798700-1365859085_thumb.jpg

You could try getting a few rolls of that 5mm wide adhesive copper tape, might be cheaper than buying the plates and could still look ok (although you'd need a good sealer method to protect the hull after it is done).

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

Hi Hec and welcome to MSW. I'm also building this kit (link in my signature below). Be very careful about reading ahead and planning with this kit - the instructions have a habit of painting you into corners! If they haven't already done so that is. Check your QD cannons and install them BEFORE you glue the poop deck in place. The instructions tell you to fit them through the gunports - but they don't fit. As for "copper" tiling, I opted to go with the kit supplied green wood, painted copper and partially rubbed back. You can see the effect in my log - I think it looks okay, but proper copper tiles might be better if you feel inclined. I look forward to following the rest of your build - with a little (or a lot) of "bashing" this does make up into a nice model.

The only other tip I'd give you for now, is to buy a copy of "The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships" by C. Nepean Longridge. This is the "bible" for all Victory builders and has been an enormous help to me so far.

Hi Grant, thank you so much for your suggestions. Demonborger also hinted on the issue of cannons fitting under the poop deck. FORTUNATELY, i have not glued the poop deck yet! I have actually used the green strips on one side of the hull already, so might as well do it all throughout. If i am not happy with it, i think it should be easy to scrape. I have done so much bashing on the kit anyway, primarily because the translation issues and inadequate illustrations. The kit itself is good, but i think Mamoli should invest in better rendered plans with better English..

I was looking at "Anatomy of the Ship Victory by John McKay in Amazon  but the price of $300 (used) held  me back. I will consider Nepean Longridge for now. Thanks Grant!

Hec

Hec, I have to agree with you. Mamoli's plans are very basic & crude. I have got more useful information off other build logs & general research. I use the photos off the box lid as a reference and only refer to the plans to check sizes & measurements.

How have you found the quality of the timber supplied with the kit ? I have had to replace nearly all of mine because the poor quality.

Good luck with the rest of your build.

Dave.

Hi Dave, i had some issues with the timber but i used them anyway. It was no worse than the timber supplied in my first build - HMS Bounty by Amati. In the Mamoli kit, the first planking was a type of soft wood, which sort of worked for me considering my inexperience. By the way, where do you order quality wood? 

Hec

Hec, I am always amazed when builders take on the Victory. Wish you well as you move along. BFN. Hopeful aka David Ps....I saw a 4' model of a model of the Victory in the Maritime museum in Barcelona, Spain. She was just sensational.

Edited by hopeful

Hec,

If you wish to replace any timber, then I would thoroughly recommend contacting Jeff Hayes at Hobbymill (one of the sponsors of this site). I bought some from him to scratch build a couple more of the ship's boats. Jeff's timber is excellent and his customer service is nothing short of outstanding.

The McKay book is useful, but if I could have only one, it would be the Longridge book. I have used it more than I have used the kit instructions, particularly now that I'm into the rigging stage.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an update of my hms Victory - mamoli. I used winsor & Newton acrylics, and Testor copper for the lower hull. I must have done four layers of copper paint. Initially, i tried giving it a slight sanding so the green would come out. I wasn't happy with it because it didn't look naturally 'algaeish' 

post-858-0-47143400-1367157051_thumb.jpg

post-858-0-54089500-1367159156_thumb.jpg

Edited by hec

That's looking great Hec. Don't be afraid to be quite vigorous in rubbing back the copper if you want some of the green to show through. Alternatively, you can just go with a "fresh from the dockyard" look. Captain's choice as we say.

Did you manage to get a hold of a copy of Longridge?

• 3 months later...

Hec 

good afternoon, how is the progress your build, ive not heard from you in a while?

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat