Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Hi Matti, just a thought my friend concerning the thickness of the plastic carvings. Does the carving sit on the ship flush with the planking or do they sit on the peak / edges of the planking (on the contoured sections)  leaving gaps underneath. The extra thickness of the carvings may allow for shaping to the contours of the ship allowing the carving to sit flush. I hope that I've explained the question clearly my friend. I can't wait to start my Wasa, I've nearly finished my other build. When I start it I will also start a build log so that you can keep an eye on my progress

Tony

Cheers for the idea Clipper! The original towers are suggested to just get horizontal grooves, not the layer on layer way I did mine. That way they would sit tight.

I have enough difficulty getting the sculptures in the right shape allready, and dont have the skill to get the contours perfect without breaking them. I dont think it will be a big problem when they are in place.

Im looking forward to follow your build, and Im sure you could do the towers as you suggested.

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Thanks for the support Lawrence! Still a lot at work, so Ive been to tired to get a lot done at the evenings this week, but I have done a few sculptures and will do one of the towers first. Before continuing with the rest of the shaping. I will also experiment to see if I can get a decent fit on the tower. They all have indivual shape and Id hate to make many at a time and mix them up...

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti,

I think it's great that your son is keen on what you are doing.It was my Father that got me into modelbuilding many years ago.Your sculptures seem to be coming on nicely,I agree though,you are right to take your time.Some jobs come together quite quickly,but others are done better when you slow down and take your time.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Cheers Nigel! Yeah the towers will take some determination to finish.

I added one more, and that one is also bent to the left to get it to fit. But the soldering iron works brilliantly. Also added the tips on the other towers so I can continue. I didnt get a perfect angle of them compaired to the sculptures, but theres a lot of angles meeting there, makin it difficult.

I like to build things with my sons, Here is a medieval swedish paper house we built earlier to company their playmo castle and ships. Its agood subject as they can do a lot themselves with a little help, and its playable afterwards.

/Matti

post-3739-0-12767300-1379863724_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-72573000-1379863737_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Enjoy your kids, they grow so fast!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Matti,

Nice. You really solved the issue. Nice work. It will look really great when all of the figures are properly shaped and fitted.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Your stern decoration looks really great Matti. My kids have just grown out of me needing to make with them. They are Sculpey experts and no longer want my input :(. Next move is to make them make my stern decorations... :D.

Cheers,

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Cheers Michael I hope so!

Thanks Alistair! Its great thats your kid has done so well.

Mark, twins huh? Thats twice the fun!

Tony, for this I used CA glue in gel form. It fills the gaps and gives me time to get it right. I can then hold it in position, and pour the baking soda on it, making the glue dry instantly.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Glad if I could help. CA glue and baking soda is great for some work.

Here is a pic of a herm that could be interesting for someone into sculptures like Vasas. This is from a church in Västerås (wich has a lot of things from early history so I try to visit when I can). Its made in the early 1600s in Lübeck and the paint is original according to the staff.

To the left is one from Vasa, to the right the one from the church.

.hermvasadepkenska.jpg

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Interesting that the sculptor gave that male figure a pronounced pair of breasts. What's the story behind that? 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

We will be ready when you are. With the intense detail of the parts you have been working on, it's better to wait until you are relaxed. Btw, what line of work are you in?

Best wishes

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...