Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Thank you for the kind comments everyone!

Cheers Kriss and Lawrence! The red used is a bit tricky to photo. It looks like in the pic when its in normal inside lights, perhaps slightly darker. When in sunlight it goes more vibrant. It makes the shadows more prominent and the paintjob alive.

Thanks Mark and Michael! I wish I could have gotten the rounded shape of the horizontal parts that follows the line from the wales, but I cant see how to do that without getting a mess when continuing the build, so I went with them starght. I also would have liked the vertical pieces between the vertical parts tilted correctly, but I had enough problems getting them straight like they are now. Overall Im still liking the result, and that it can be done with the original kit parts (except using the middle sized towers from the spare parts I have, instead of the big ones). I love wonky constructions, it gives life and personality.

Thank you Ferit, most apreciated!

Im worried about getting the lower rounded parts planked correctly, they are rounded with sharp edges like the towers, but its hard to shape the wood pieces without having them in place. Hopefully I can sand or file them in place if needed.

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Thanks!

Hmm, Ive read it and if I dont misstemember they are the same, at leat as mine. I have the latest release I think.

The us site is up, billingboatsusa.com

Heres a link to the instructions:

https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw40frlcNqbjOTNlYTE5Y2YtMGUyNC00NGE0LWE0ZTktNTRmZjFhNmM0MjM4&usp=drive_web&hl=en

The instructions are quite unstructured, but so far everything is there, but you have to jump around between the different parts of the instructions, and the big plan is often helpful. Just think the steps through and youll be fine.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

That is so cool! I like your striving to capture the wonkiness of the original that makes it almost whimsical. The wavy edge of the gallery plank is a great touch!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Cheers for the nice comments guys!

For me the planking lines on the original galleries are beautiful, and together with the towers they look almost organic and makes me think of dragon scales. I wanted to try and get some of that on my model.

/Matti

post-3739-0-69275800-1376417784_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-09144800-1376417793_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-39922800-1376417955_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

thanks for sharing these perfect pictures from the original

I feel more and more that I should have bought the Billing kit instead of the Corel kit. the basic of the kit is better from Billing Boats as far as I could see now. during the time I was verifing both kits there were almost no buildlogs available from this BB kit. for all new builders this will be a good comparison with the other Corel kits on this forum. 

I am curious how the figures are detailed even if these are from plastic (once painted you don't see the difference)

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

No problem Jan, Im happy to share them.

Im happy with the BB. I think I read somewhere that Fred Hocker recomended the BB for wood models, and I started to look at pics and that helped me make up my mind. The gunports needs to be moded though, as the glue on plates are not up to the rest of the nice model. The shape is really good on it, and sculptures are not bad from what Ive seen so far. I couldnt get the small sculptures on the deck to fit perfectly, so I had to alter them a little. Akterspegeln is nice in my opinion. After reading the Landstöm book it seems to me that BB designed their sculptures and some details on his paintings. His work is pretty close to the real thing so its not bad.

(Landströms book is very inspirational and good for anyone interested in Vasa or how they built ships at that time. Any fan of blue and gold Vasas will like it also, because when he wrote the book in the eightes, it was a well known fact that she was blue!)

Like I mentioned earlier Im a bit worried about getting the sculptures to fit the towers as I did mine a bit different compaired to the pics in the instructions and box cover. Good thing is that you are supposed to bend and shape the sculptures at round shapes like the galleries and towers, so I can bend the to the shape I made. Im also considering to leave the top towers without sculptures like the real ship is today, like an homage. i havent decided yet.

/Matti

post-3739-0-82027000-1376421370_thumb.jpg

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

Looking super nice.  As for "bending" those carvings.... be real careful. It doesn't take a whole lot of heat to turn them into blobs of plastic.  Don't ask how I know...  :)   I did however, have two sets of fittings

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the nice comments! They mean a lot to me!

Joe thanks, and I hope I can get them good.

Nigel, cheers. Yes you are right, I will have some work to get the lower parts there. I wanted to get the towers and top sides in place first and work from there. If I need to "cheat" or adjust a little to get the galleries set up right, it will be least obvious on the lower parts. (Well thats what I hope anyway ;))

Thank you Wayne! Im glad you like it!

Mark, thanks! Yeah I hear you about the risks. Ive scratched styrene stuff before and heating it then, but it would be typical if thats the thing I messed up! I usually use a heating gun that can be adjusted to low heat and practice on parts like sticks from the sprue and first learn at what distance to hold the plastic at and how the plastic reacts. Boiling water can work aswell, but harder to get control over IMO and its easy to snap them. Actually its a stress not to have any spare parts. I messed up one or two of the towers, and could use spare ones. There were no extra plastic parts in my spare part kit though... 

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

I had two sets of spares due to a nasty accident while building the first one.  My lady pushed me to get a second one and "do better".... I did.  That plastic is bit strange.  Heating it and it doesn't give, a bit more and it bends and just a hair past that temperature, it turns into liquid.  Go slow and take your time.  You'll do fine.

On the topic of Fred, the Musuem, and BB... as I understood it, the BB kit is only one the Wasa Museum sells.  Seems BB is only company that updates their kit as new things are found through the research.  If you have questions, do email the museum staff.  You'll get an answer and it will be the right answer.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, I hope so!

Ouch about that accident Mark T! Good that you made another. Thanks for the heads up on the tricky plastic.

I agree, the museum people are great and helpfull. I also met two of the guys that made and painted the 1/10 model, (they work at the maritme museum close to the Vasa museum) and they are also very nice and share how they do things.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hey all!

Did the stern parts. As I wanted to have holes below the windows and think the original kit design seems really fragile, I made it in one piece that I will plank. I glued the lower one in place. I will shape the planks so there will be no gap at the top.

/Matti

post-3739-0-04889700-1376588396_thumb.jpg

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Ferit, I want to try and see how it would look with the dark red against all figures. It will be pretty much covered with it could make a cool effect, but if not I will add a coat of the new nuance.

Nigel, thanks. I wanted to avoid drilling the holes after the planks was glued in place, as I have to be careful with the stuff I installed for lighting her. Gunports, yeah, from what Ive read she were supposed to have carried 4 swiwel guns there, but she didnt have them installed on her maden voyage. I know they had big problems getting all the canons finished for her, (it was a huge task) so maybe thats the reason.

Thanks Mark! I will soon join you in painting figures.

Cheers Lawrence, Its very strong. After bending it so much, I reinforced it with CA glue an baking soda on the inside and in small cracks, and it makes it strong. I do that with plastic models, and it works like a charm on wood

Did the top part last night, its the same but more shaping work to fit all lines but no holes. Ill update when Ive got both finished.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Thanks Brian!

Gettig the stern parts done. There are many lines and curves meating there, so it was some work to get them set up right. You can also see how the red behaves change in different lightning. Very dynamic and vibrant, and I think it will work well with painted sculptures on. I also could glue the Vasa sign and puttys between the windows. That felt rater good as it means Im getting closer to the stage I enjoy most: painting. I also lightly washed the yellow whales and parts to make it look uniform with the rest of the paintjob. That did a lot for realism and sense of scale.  

Next step is the lower parts on the galleries.

/Matti

post-3739-0-94649500-1376739638_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-90649600-1376739642_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-11627600-1376739646_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

Again !! love the look of your build. Such nice work--congrats.

PS: I'm working on fixing my weather deck gratings, took hints from yours (:-) Copying is the best form of flattery.

R/  Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa