Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Stunning work Matti, the brush work is great and the overall hull - and all parts of your build - is brilliant.

Thanks for sharing,

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Cheers BE! Im amazed at the sea base you can make for your models. They look so realistic... Something I hope to learn someday.

Thanks Andy! Yeah hot water or heating gun turned to low heat are what I will try first. Thanks for the tip! 

Alistair, wow thanks for the kind words! They make me happy. My wife lived in NZ for a year, and it seems to be such a lovely country.

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Managed to get time to paint the geat knights. I got in a flow last night and decided to continue even if it ment to little sleep. The knights are my favourite sculptures on Vasa and it felt right to start with them.

The BB figures are pretty nice. Its not Finemolds quality but ok The surface and some details could be better. But considering they were ment to be gilded, as they didnt know Vasa had polychrome sculptures when they designed them, Im surprised how well they designed them. 

BB did their work basing them on the real sculptures but once again they seem very much based on Landstöms book. Landström (and therefore BB) gave his knights swords, and to me that implies that people back then thought the knigh sculptures held swords, considering how thorough and detailed Landströms book is.

The six knights in the kit are all from the same sculpt and therefore share the same pose and look, not individual like the originals. I tried to individualize them by painting the details like the knights on the 1:10. I also tried to get the blue look of them, even if I believe we cant be certain how they looked when Vasa was painted (the full size replica of the knight at the museum is brown, something I think  means that they havent got enough color samples of the armor to be sure). But I really like the look of the 1:10 knights. I also gave nr one and six visors down like the original.

The knight figures gave two problems to me. One, they were to tall to get a good fit, secondly their legs were to tall in proportions. After thinking my simple solution to these problems was to go medieval on them and cut their feet of, and then trim the helmet feathers a little. I decided not to try and make new feet, but went fo a stylized look instead (the putty have no feet either). I could be the one to blame for the bad fit, as there are many lines and angles meeting at the window area, and I guess I made the area to tight. 

/Matti

post-3739-0-66232400-1377791418_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-33921900-1377791423_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

Your boat is looking so awesome Whoa!!!  Your research is also just as impressive nice project. It seems as though you are really enjoying this ship's build. Good for you (:-)

R/   Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

The stern looks realistic in fact. I'm waiting for more photos. The sculptures are convincing :)

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

Did a project picture with the last pic also. Is it possible to make a signature pic of it and link it to this thread?

Also did some experiments with bending the plastics, and the hot water method seems to work well. There are many figures needing to be bent, so I need a method that is reliable.

/Matti

post-3739-0-38783500-1377861218_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-60232400-1378121924.jpg

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Can't answer your question Matti but I'm still enjoying your work. The painting of the stern features is fantastic and even with footless knights it all seems to fit together very well. Very impressive!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

I started to feel bad for those knights having lost their feet and decided to have a go at making new feet for them. I also felt it was an oportunity to make them more individual and appear to have slightly different positions. So some have 2 and the others are bending their knee behind the shield. Actually if someone else needs to do them, make the feet when the knights are fixed on the ship, hindwise it was a good way. And it does look more realistic and detailed with them on. I didnt think it would work, but I was wrong.

I also did some touch up on the faces. Man, painting noses in that scale makes my hands feel shaky... lol

/Matti

post-3739-0-14800600-1377873976_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti, in fact, Sigmundus III Waza originated from Sweden. He was using the title of the Swedish King while ruling in Poland.  His son Władysław IV was also a king of Poland and his step-brother Joannes Casimirus was the last Wasa on a Poland's throne. They were all using the title of the Swedish and Polish king. Therefore there were a war between Poland and Sweden.

The most recognizable battle was the battle of Oliwa. There were some ships like: Yellow Lion, Aquarius, Water Maiden

Take a look here http://www.bojer.pl/modele_statkow_zestawy

Cheers,

Paweł

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

Lawrence, thanks for the kind comment, they are a great inspiration!

Pawel, Yeah, as the son of Johan III and queen Katarina, Sigismund was the heir to the swedish throne. Then politics and religion came in, the same problem that started the fire in the 30 year war. How is Sweden looked upon in polish history books? Poland is described as a strong catholic force, both military and culturally during our wars. Your cavallerie is also often mentioned. The war between Sigismund and Karl IX and Gustav II Adolf is also a big part of our history.

I just read a book that had a part about the polish Vasa family line.

/Matti

PS: Thanks for the link about polish ships!

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Did a project picture with the last pic also. Is it possible to make a signature pic of it and link it to this thread?

Also did some experiments with bending the plastics, and the hot water method seems to work well. There are many figures needing to be bent, so I need a method that is reliable.

/Matti

Matti,

Have a look here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1071-adding-my-picture-to-profile/

I'm loving the figures.  Well done!!!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark! Actually I ment if I can use that as a signature picture at the bottom of each post, and if it could be linked to this thread? Your link is the profile pic I think? Sorry for being vague.

Ive been working realy hard to find out what goes where. The sculptures on the sides are specified, but the ones on the stern is harder to tell. i had to write down each group of sculptures and mark them in the plans to get wich ones are ment to sit above the knights. Now I know, so I can start working.

The BB plans includes everything, but you need to think everything through, and jump back and forth to find the answers.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

There's a post up here for adding a signature with links:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/760-how-to-add-a-build-log-link-to-your-signature/

To add the picture to the signature... I gave the wrong link...<sigh>  When editing the signature, click on the "My Media" button.  That will allow you to load a picture into the signature.

The BB plans are great but there's so many sculptures it's hard to keep track of them.   Been there, done that, went a bit nuts....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Matti,

Great work.  By the way, I'm seeing the picture.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Matti!

Your paintwork is the best I have ever seen on a wooden ship. Not only is it precisely applied, the colors' intensities look to scale thanks to your shading techniques. Too often colors appear too intense at that scale, but your work is brilliant!

Your signature pic looks great too. It reminds me of a souvenir bookmark like you would buy at a museum.

Keep up the amazing work!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Buck, thank you for the great compliment, it made my day! Its still pretty hectic at work, so the building pace slowed down. I feel my neck after painting a few figures as I need to be very still, so its good in a way that I get pauses between the groups. But I feel the itch to continue a lot.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa