Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Thanks for the nice comment Nigel! Im starting to feel nervous about bending the tower sculptures. I had some problems bending the figures that goes below the knights with hot water. The plastic is really tricky to shape into a nice curve, and the galleries/towers have many curves.

I will have to go to plan B, low heat heatgun, but I would have prefered the hot water method. Finger crossed!

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

Try boiling water and dip the part (use some good tweezers and don't drop it).   Test on some sprue first.  Those cupolas are indeed tricky to get the figures to lay right.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yeah, thats what I did for the stern figures, but I had a really rough time when bending the ones with a great curve. Did you use oiling water for your figures? I get a high risk of breaking the plastic.

Yeah the towers feel daunting...

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

I used a candle as the instructions suggested.  Luckily, I had a second set of figures.   The heat hits, they get soft and if you go just bit longer, they melt. Took some practice to heat, bend, cool, heat, bend, cool.  Then paint after bending.

I wish there was a surefire method and suggested hot  or boiling water thinking it wouldn't melt them.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Matti,

Just a suggestion,but I have been thinking about bending the sculptures.You could try holding them over the shaft of a soldering iron,keeping the back face towards the iron,in that way you may have a little more control and avoid deforming the detail on the outside face.I think it is a case of warm,bend,warm and bend rather than trying to shape it in one go.Cutting a wooden former to the shape may help,certainly easier and less likely to do damage to your model's paintwork.

Kind Regards Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Mark, thanks for explaining how you did it. I agree no fire is better. Water does work well for the ones with only smaller curves, so I will keep doing that when possible.

Thanks BE! I do feel that this is the most fun Ive had building models. The only downside I see is the fear of breaking the model as its more fragile then anything else Ive built.

Nigel, thats a brilliant way to do it, thanks for the suggestion! I was starting to think of a way to use my heatgun (that is a good tool for shaping plastic) but I was afraid to lose controle of shaping these small items (or burning my fingers for that matter). I will definately try the soldering iron for them, brilliant!

Im starting to plan ahead and maybe any of you can give me a hint: What is the best way to get hold of a nice showcase for a ship like this? I like the old style that is like a table with the glass on top.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti,

You think on similar lines to me.I have a book on navy board models 1650-1750 by john Franklin.In this is a chapter devoted to the original stands and cases.

I am planing on making a 17th style case which has individual glass panes and two opening doors at the front.I also plan on carving the stand with four Dolphins with the initials CR (Charles rules).I am planning on making this myself and just buying the toughened glass.Perspex too prone to scratches for my liking.

Kind Regards Nigel

Hi Matti

For what I have in mind and in solid oak,I dread to think how much it would be.It would have to be specially made as there is nothing on the market.For your table,your best bet maybe antiques fairs or such like,even if it is scruffy you could save a packet.I think you are more than capable of refinishing the woodwork.

Kind Regards Nigel

Thats a really really nice comment that, even if the model isnt perfect, makes me happy! The look youre giving your Victory is great and beside all the nice details teached me new approaches to model building and painting.

I painted King David and his soldiers. I was a bit worried about their design, but they turned out ok. I will start with the ladies below next.

/Matti

post-3739-0-05137000-1378472689_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-71374100-1378472732_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Hello Matti,

Happy Birthday and Congratulations to your 40th Anniversary.

Welcome to the Club.

by the way, you are building a beatiful ship!

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

Le Coureur 1776 - CAFmodel 1/48

VOC Retourship Batavia

Boston Typhoon steam trawler 1/32

Research/Side Projects/On Hold:

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Happy Birthday Matti!!!!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde</strong></span></p><br />

<p> </p><br />

<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752</a>'><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Current Build - Elsie</strong></span></a>

Wow, thanks for the congratulations! I had a great day, and actually had the big party yesterday to have it on a saturday. Today I relaxed a little and took the time to fix the final eight sculptures for the stern. Now its only the two big poles at the sides left.

Afterwards I tested the lighting to see how it would look with the sculptures on. As said previously the light doesnt appear blue IRL, but the camera seems to prefer it like that.

Thanks again!

/Matti

post-3739-0-62929100-1378672165_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Happy birthday Matti.  It's great that you had a good one.  post-76-0-97985100-1378679103.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Matti,

Happy B. Day as well. A good Nice round number. Your lighting will add a very special dimension to this already wonderful example that you are building. Kudos to you (:-)

R/   Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks a lot guys! Yeah I had a good time, I was surprised when my motherin law gave me her old Levin guitar from 1955. Its used and very vintage, but it looks and sounds very cool old and will be perfect for some blues.

Im enjoying this age, started to learn to relax and enjoy the now a bit more.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Did a comparison between the 1:10 and my BB if someone is thinking about getting the BB kit.

The Landström heritage in some of the sculptures are easy to spot (if you have the Landström book, youll notice), and some misstakes I did are also there, but shapewise I think BB did a good job and with some fiddeling with the positioning of the parts, it can get a nice Vasa look.

/Matti

post-3739-0-40708300-1378753340_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa