Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Matti,

Yes to all of the above. I really like your perspective on this ship. Beautiful....

R/     Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Cheers Lawrence and Nigel! Yeah it's a good feeling to move on. I really like the bow on Vasa so I have been longing to start building it.

The parts are standard. It seems to fit well, so far anyway. This area is a bit tricky as I had to guess how to build the earlier stages and hope it would work.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Cheers mate, yeah I try to get the same feeling on the walls as te rest of the ship. I had to rework them a couple of times to get the finish I want. I dont like the scribed lines to be to black and obvious, but still visiable. After building the galleries and painting the figures it feels like lightspeed building the bow area.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Thanks Lawrence, Ive built the basic bow structure. moving on to the ledges.

Off topic trivia: yesterday was Gustav Adolf day here in Sweden.

/Matti

Edit: Added a few more pics, now with the ledges in place.

post-3739-0-26841400-1383814969_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-32171700-1383814972_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-59867700-1383834653_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-73338100-1383834658_thumb.jpg

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

Nice update. looking very excellent. Be sure to put the "first class" toilets in the right place (:-)

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Matti,

From here on out, she'll take on life and look different to you every day.   The prow really looks great. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Matti,

I have just spent a very enjoyable  hour going through your log......and your doing a lovely job, i would love to take on the vasa one day and was just wandering who do you think makes the best kit and how many man hours do you think she will take to finish.

Cheers 

Jack

Thanks Jack, I'm glad you like it. When I started to look for a wood kit I found posts where Fred Hocker at the Vasa museum recommended Billing Boats. Its also the kit they sell (sold?) at the museum. I agree with this,it is the closest in shape and details at the stern, galleries and bow. The overall shape is close also. You "need" to make open gunports though, and that was a little tricky. The sculptures could be better I guess, but do their job and are based on the real ones or Landströms drawings. They are pretty easy to rework and be made to fit as they are made in plastic.

I have no idea how many hours, the sculpture painting takes a lot of time if you do them polychrome. The gunports mod also took many hours to do. It's my first wood kit so it took some time to figure things out for me, if you are experienced you would be faster.

The Revell is the best plastic model but idealized and the scale is rather small.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Thanks Mark! Did you change the construction of the big lion in front?

/Matti

Matti,

Mine build is bone stock... from the box with just different planking and some rigging changes.   I was too far gone on her by the time I found DDM (before there was an MSW. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lawrence, I love snow, but at the same time I save a lot of money now as I dont have to use any wood to warm it.

The galjon lion is finished except the Vasa heraldic shield its going to hold. The original figure are only done in two halves. The sides themselves are not bad and no doubt better then anything I could carve but it leaves just the wood between them and have no face and topside head. I decided to make the face and head out of putty.

/Matti

post-3739-0-47989700-1384091285_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-27860800-1384091293_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-52843500-1384091299_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-08558700-1384091304_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-38245100-1384091551_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-27698800-1384091553_thumb.jpg

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

Super nice.

After following the Vasa Builds here, I agree with you, the Billings, in retrospect should have been my purchase choice as well. The Corel, for all of its nice features is not very accurate. It needs a lot of customizing. Your Billings right-out-of-the-box is very well designed. The only deficit for a kit of this cost are the decorative pieces. They would have been much nicer in metal, in my opinion. However since they all needed to be painted I suppose that it is a small fault. The pieces are certainly very accurate to the original, Corel's are not.

You chose well. Your build is excellent.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks Michael! I prefer plastic as I can rework them easily. To make, say, the towers the way I wanted I needed to reshape the sculptures and to fit they all ended up different from each other. Plastic makes it easier to get the ship the way I want. I can tweak and reshape the wood construction and then shape the sculptures after what I made.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa