Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

I'm with Mobbsie on that one!! :D :D ......... great work again Matti!!!

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I am building vasa model, I have run into a problem. the plans do not show me how to build the gun ports.

where can I find instruction.

If it's the Billings version you are building, then the kit has glue on fake gunports and you can see how they should sit using the big drawing included in the instructions. If you want them open like mine you have to make your own construction. Check this log and you can how I did mine by looking at the pictures or ask me if you have questions.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

matti   

I do have the billing version. I am sure you will hear from me again. With the fake gun port, it take a little work out the build.

thanks, wkalex

Edited by wkalex

No poblem. Yeah, making open gunports makes the build a bit harder, but is well worth the effort. The original gunports are a flaw on this otherwise nice kit. I think member Karleop had a different take on how to do them then me, so look at his build also.

You are welcome with any questions.

Oh, and start a build log!

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti...  wow... great looking carvings.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

fantastic build Matti!  your skill at bash is amazing and your art work is impressive :)   it would be very hard to instill the amount of detail you've put into her......an all around beautiful job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hey all!

I'm finished with the second Hercules. There is a theory that he is older than the other Hercules. He decided to put som clothes on this time. ;)

I enjoy carving, in some ways it is like painting. I may do some more sculptures for this model.

post-3739-0-07157300-1395941657_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-88004700-1395941663_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Very very nice carvings Matti, but one question, where are these Hercules placed?

Saludos, Karl

Hey all!

I'm finished with the second Hercules. There is a theory that he is older than the other Hercules. He decided to put som clothes on this time. ;)

I enjoy carving, in some ways it is like painting. I may do some more sculptures for this model.

attachicon.gifwasan214.jpg

attachicon.gifwasan215.jpg

/Matti

Hi Nazgul... there are a bit less then 400 sculptures on this model ... and I'm sure you know that ... many modelers avoid Wasa because of this, unless they have factory-made sculptures ... I wonder how much time will You need for all of this :)... very good job !

Edited by MarisStella.hr

Thanks for the nice comments and likes everybody, most appreciated!

Scott, just go for it, it's fun.

MarisStella, I ment the sculptures that were not included in the kit. I'm thinking of maybe four more, but I need to consider if I can make them. Sorry for being vague.

Karleop they sit at the corners below the lower galleries.

I mounted them yesterday. For me it's a big change in her appearence, but I'm looking at her everyday. At the same time I hope the carved ones blend with the originals.  

post-3739-0-56965100-1396000352_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-27719800-1396000347_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

They look fantastic in position mate!The ship was missing something before as they are a very prominent feature.I was unsure if billings supplied them and you simply hadn't got round to fitting them.You have answered my question ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

you make it look simple Matti........I should try it,  before I can say that I can't ;)   I love the Wasa and the Norske love......one of these days, I hope to see myself with one of them  very nice work your doing.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Here are three different planks and I'm wondering if somene could help me with what they are:

post-3739-0-56309000-1396089569_thumb.jpg

A is really hard and splints easily, smells nice. Haven't tried to bend it wet.

B to me seems to be obechi, soft and smelly. Easy to shape when wet.

C is also hard, but holds together well, also smells nice. A little harder to shape when wet.

C is what I used for the Hercules carvings and it felt nice to work with.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

I got hooked by the carving bug and decided to try and make the small tritons sitting above the lion. The ones with red hats, my wife refered to them as Totem Santas and that's a good name to describe them. ;)

First reference pics:

post-3739-0-79885100-1396257373_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-61728400-1396257438_thumb.jpg

I used lime (ha thanks Nigel) and it was pretty small to carve and ended up quite fragile, so I wanted to mount it as soon as I could so I wouldn't break the fin.

post-3739-0-81130800-1396257607_thumb.jpg

I feel it was missing before, and I grew found of it´s quirky and odd design.

/Matti

post-3739-0-53800900-1396286188.jpg

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Sorry, I missed yor post. Yeah, you'd get the hang of it right away! Norske love is a beautyful ship.

Cheers

/Matti

you make it look simple Matti........I should try it,  before I can say that I can't ;)   I love the Wasa and the Norske love......one of these days, I hope to see myself with one of them  very nice work your doing.

Billing Boats Vasa