Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Small update. Did the small round sculptures at the stern. They aren't included in the kit so I had to scratch them.

First one on the 1:10 model at the museum:

post-3739-0-62124200-1393516337_thumb.jpg

And here are mine:

post-3739-0-54736400-1393516379_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-40981300-1393516382_thumb.jpg

The flower pattern is simplified, but was the best I could do at this scale.

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

It is very good. This

scale is difficult to do all the details we want to...

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

Hi Matti

I think a lot depends on what they work out at scale size.On my Sovereign build they were 35-40mm on the original so I represented them at 0.4mm.The only thing that would concern me,although you have done far more research on this ship than I have,would be how many of the fixings present now are original.It does look like many have been added since she was raised in order to stablize the hull.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Realy nice Matti, I also saw that little sculptures at the stern in the pictures of the Vasa museum.  I will try to do them, but depending how they come out I will put them on the model or not.

Saludos!!

Hi Matti

I think a lot depends on what they work out at scale size.On my Sovereign build they were 35-40mm on the original so I represented them at 0.4mm.The only thing that would concern me,although you have done far more research on this ship than I have,would be how many of the fixings present now are original.It does look like many have been added since she was raised in order to stablize the hull.

Kind Regards Nigel

I'm on the fence about nailsas I'm afraid to make it look like a tank. I can see logic in leaving them out like Clayton did.

I think there's information about the original nails position. Alexander's scratch Vasa looks really great and realistic with nails, but in 1:75 it would be a challenge to get his fantastic results. I'm thinking it may be best to leave them out as I have no experience with them and focus on the painting on this build. Something to think about.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

I'm on the fence about nailsas I'm afraid to make it look like a tank. I can see logic in leaving them out like Clayton did.

I think there's information about the original nails position. Alexander's scratch Vasa looks really great and realistic with nails, but in 1:75 it would be a challenge to get his fantastic results.

Yes I can understand that mate,you know what they say,if in doubt,don't do it ;)

Kind Regards Nigel

Yes I can understand that mate,you know what they say,if in doubt,don't do it ;)

Kind Regards Nigel

I actually was about to start it earlier and then started to think of all the time it took to paint the hull, so I chickened out. ;)

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Hey all,

one of the things I've been wanting to do for a while are the big flag. The ones included in the kit are silk but only printed on one side. They are pretty good shapewise but I wanted to make my own based on the oldest three tounged swedish flag that has survived. It's from the battle at Öresund 1658. Im basing mine on a drawing in the Landström book.

After painting it I shaped it with the beer can method I learned from mtaylor. Cheers Mark it worked great, thanks Nigel also for pointing me to dennis pinks thread where it's described! It was nice not to get good controle of the shaping and then not having to worry about destroying the shape while the dilluted white glue dries.

Here are pics:

post-3739-0-63906500-1393677872_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-66079100-1393677875_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-45817000-1393677879_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

That looks fabulous mate!!!Once again you have demonstrated your ability to 'pull something out of the hat' in an area you have no previous experience in!.I would allay any fears you have over rigging my friend,I am sure will excel in that,like you have in the other areas of your build.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Matti,

Wow, that flag is something else, I think flags are one of the most difficult aspects of decoration, it's so hard to get them to hang properly.

You have conquered that problem and it looks very impressive mate, very well done.

Stern decorations are also superb, keep it up mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

Sent from my iPhone

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thank you Nigel and mobbsie, your comments are most appreciated!

Nigel, your pointers and tips have helped me alot so cheers for that.

Mobbsie, I also think flags are hard to get right. I'm still more afraid of getting the sails to look realistic.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti, I used to make flags (specially the complicated ones) with a ink jet computer printer  (over cloth not paper) but always is a problem to shape them in a convincing form.  Can you give  me the specific thread of mtaylor where you got this method, its outstanding!!

Very nice work!!

Karl

Cheers Karl! The discussion is in Denis pinks sovereign thread.

What I did in short:

I used the drawing in Landstroms Vasa book and scaled it to my model. Then I cut and painted it in acrylic colors I mixed to get the look I wanted. This had no details so it worked well.

When the flag is done, cut open a beer can and cut a piece like the flag. Shape the aluminum to the shape you want.

Mix white glue with water, the mix should be white and slightly thicker then water in consistense. Then soak the flag in it for a minute or two.

Place it on the aluminum shape and let it dry.

Remove the flag when dried and if there are glossy spots where the flag laid against the aluminum, paint them with flat varnish.

Done.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti,

I have not looked in on your build in a while, just catching up. Nice updates. Cannons,and flags look nice.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks for the tips Matti, I already see the Denis thread but your explanation is very clear and apparently without much problem.

Gracias!!

Thank you Lawrence, looking forward to see what you do with your flags buddy.

I've been working on the main flag staff, trying to get it the way I want:

post-3739-0-51792700-1393765160_thumb.jpg

I can put it on the ship, but will not glue it stuck until later in the build:

post-3739-0-58934500-1393765163_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-51384400-1393765168_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-93339800-1393765171_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Excellent Matti. Your flag looks so realistic. Flags will be the last item in my build, and I have had nightmares about that step.  ^_^

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hey Matti, you don't have to worry mate, with the skills you've  displayed so far the rigging is going to be a walk in the park.

You just have to remember " One line at a time".

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-