Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Hey all! I've made the capstan. It was nice to do a more quick moment after the carvings.

First a picture I took at the museum:

post-3739-0-62216300-1396606115_thumb.jpg

And here is mine:

post-3739-0-01364400-1396606147_thumb.jpg

I tried to make it slightly smaller compaired to what the instructions say. I also reshaped the vertical parts. It's made of 20 parts and I weathered it prior to assembling to shade the wood the way I wanted. The glue would make the weathering difficult.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Love the carving Matti, it proves the point that practice does make perfect, wonderful job mate.

The capstan is really good and not easy to make with so many small parts, that's a good job well done.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

Lawrence, yeah spring is here and that means I have to do some chainsawing and other things now so I have less time to work on the model atm.

Mobbsie I had to redo the big main part a couple of times to get it the way I wanted. Making the thin hadles was also a bit tricky as they wanted to break when shaping them.

Thanks again!

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

nice work on the capstan........I've had the privilege of making a Billing's capstan as well......many parts.   I wasn't pleased with the dowel that made up the bars.   I had some smaller sized dowel that worked out much better.......not as much sanding ;)    all 'n all Matti,  the capstan looks great.......you've done a sweet job with the weathering.  looks super!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Cheers guys!

Popeye, you mean the capstan is a BB standard version? It's pretty close to the real Vasa capstan so I would have guessed it was designed after the original one as seen below on the 1:10 model in the museum. I also scratched the bars from suitable sticks I have.

post-3739-0-41324800-1396635488_thumb.jpg

Nigel, ha I thought I slowed down when starting carving stuff, but you're right, painting the ornaments takes some time to do, still it's the part I enjoy most.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Sweet looking capstan, Matti.  I didn't do the bars on my Vasa, but you've gone that extra step and it looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

believe it or not Matti.....the Half Moon had the same design capstan.   the problem with mine,  was that parts were missing in the kit,  so I ended up doing scratch anyway.......we can compare diagrams  :)   naw......what's the sense......your would look better that the kit version anyway.......hands down!   I like that picture you've shown there......that guy in the foreground......is that David Crosby {Crosby,  Stills, Nash & Young}....one of my faves  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks all for the nice comments and likes everyone!

Mark, I was considering that, but it I really like the look with the bars on. I did consider the setup with only 2 (4) bars like on the real Vasa today but ended up with 3 (6).

Karl, you may consider making yours slightly shorter like I did; to my eye the BB instructions numbers would make it to big. Thats only my gut feeling though.

Popeye, thats funny, I wonder if they did theirs based on Vasa's and then used it for others? 

Keith, cheers. :)

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti,

I like very much Your style ! and I like galleon as well ,and allways with great interest watch how people work with wood :) ...

Regarding capstan You made - nice job!

But I have question...those bars ...the side goes to the capstan head...they need to be rectangular and round all the rest...difficult to see on foto...

Did You make them rectangular or left rounded?

Thanks

Kirill

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah I made them slightly squared where they connect. I didn't get them perfect though. After cutting them in the right length, I shaped them with sandpaper and a drilling machine, don't know the English word for it, the small one for screwing screws. The thicker end is not sanded and when the overall shape is nice, just shape and square the thick end with a knife. I don't think it should be too prominent at this small scale.

The bars were easy to do, the squared holes were much trickier imo.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti,

Clear, thanks,

making my "galleon rigging report"  I was thinking in parallel how to make this "the squared holes" ...I mean ,how would I do that...take some steel rectangular cone end rod , heat it up till yellow color and to burn preliminary drilled hole inserting this rod and than sand paper...but this is just my fantasy  :)

How You did it in reality?

I drilled a little hole first and then made it larger and finally squared with a exacto knife. I needed to make the top end harder so it wouldn't break when making the top holes. I used superglue for that. If you want to weather it, do it before adding the glue. When you're done you need to add a coat of flat varnish as the glue will be glossy.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Beautiful!! Matti....... Great looking build you've got going on.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi, Matti

I liked this fotoes You made -where model placed in front of trees...and color schema used for painting...really perfect ! artistic!!!

qstn abt guns - looks strange for me arrangements of breeching(too thin and short) and coil ?...or they are  installed temporary? or there is some specific for this vessel?

All the best!

Kirill

Hola Matti,

thanks for your sugestion about making a little shorter the capstan but I had already done, however I like the idea of ​​putting the bars. You can see pictures in my thread.

Saludos

Hi Matti,

I can still repeat the same - perfect job ! Your Wasa looks like really wooden cathedral now ! Thanks for pics !

Jan

Finished:       Ark Royal 1588

Mary Rose 1545

Arabian Dhow

Revenge 1577 ( first attempt )

La Couronne 1636

Trinidad 1519

Revenge 1577 ( the second one )

Nina 1492

Pinta 1492

Santa Maria 1492

San Salvador 1543

Anna Maria 1694

Sao Gabriel 1497

On the table: Sovereign of the Seas 1636 - continuing after 12 years

All of them are paper models

Hi Matti,

fantastic job, I also admire your scratch build cannon barrels. My Sergal kit contains only one size of 43 mm long barrels for the upper decks. I want to try if I can also build the longer and thinner barrels, as you made it. Do you have any measurements of this barrel in relation to the other cannons on the upper decks.

Cheers Lin Feng

Edited by Lin Feng

Frank and NIgel your work is a big inspiration for me so thanks!

Kirill, yeah they are simplified. It's my first go at ship building and rigging them like the original is well above my skill limit.

Karl, it turned out great!

/Matti

Hi Matti,

When I first time saw Your model ,I never could say that it is Your first "try"...looks very proffessional!  :)

but if You did so perfect and most complicated job, all those small minority need to be done at the same level, as seems to me :)

It is not ness-ry to make full guns rigging, may be it will be sufficient to install breeching only and to install all ness-ry ring-bolts without tackles,as You did?

But the question about too thin and short breeching remains...but of couse it is not critical point :) 

All The best! 

Thanks Jan and Ling! Ling I dont think there could be known measurements as they were salvaged but if you check out Claytons cannons he made for the 1:10 you get a sense how big they should be.

kirill,  I'm not sure I understand why you want them thicker and longer.

post-3739-0-86988300-1396800751_thumb.jpg

But no, no question remain. They are not perfect but I did them to the best of my ability. And I said the rigging is simplyfied earlier in this thread (post 881 and others). This is just a model built for me, and I know my limitations. Perhaps I get to your level in later builds.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti.Your weathering techniques on the woodwork is beyond reproach. Have you given any thought on what it would take to duplicate the same effect on the painted surfaces, figures etc ? Your work of course is way above mine but seeing how I am talking to a master your comments do go into my handwritten log.

Chris

Just a reminder... Vasa had no time to "weather" or to wear out. ;) So don't go overboard there. :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!