Triton Cross Section by Jorge Hedges

Hello Gents!

Long time plastic and resin military miniature modeler, trying my hand on wood with the cross section here.

Just sent the contribution for the plans access, and prepping my work area at home.

Look forward to the build, sharing the same, and the constructive criticism and guidance from you Gents!

Best regards (from sunny Puerto Rico),

Jorge

Welcome on the Triton shipyard. I will follow your log with interest.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

As far as I remember right, you can print the drawings on 8.5 x 11''. Make sure, that you print the PDF with 100% scale.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Grats for the workshop setup, i wish my wife would allow me some proper tools, for now it's Kits only for me :P

If you are in the US, the try Syren Ship Company for wood - i hear Chuck has best :D

Edited by Jasseji

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

Welcome aboard the HMS Triton, Jorge!

Some excellent builds here that will inspire you!  

Clear skies,

Gabe

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

Found some wood slabs at what I think is a great price, in order to practice milling.

The wood slabs are Maple, Oak (dark) and, what we call in Puerto Rico, Rose Oak.

The colors on all 3 are beautiful...  will post pics later on.

I plan on using it for the Triton cross section build.  Any feedback on the wood types and application?

Thanks!

jorge

In my opinion.... the grain on the rose oak (looks like what we call red oak up here in Oregon) is going to look a bit wonky in a scale model being that is is pretty big. With that being said, my idea would be maple for frames, deck beams, carlings, knees all oiled to darken just a bit, maple waxed or left as is for the deck planking, rose oak for the hold ceiling, dark oak for outer planking. Just my two cents! 

Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

• 4 weeks later...

I have never used teak, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Some good practice would be cutting down a few pieces into planking-sized strips and give them a good eyeball test to see how they might look on the model. I would really be looking at the grain and how easily the wood is worked (for instance, basswood is easily workable but will dent super easily, ebony is beautiful but makes a ton of dust and will stain other unfinished wood). In the end, I'd say use what you have on hand or can acquire! If your journey is anything like mine you'll make some bad choices and mistakes, but also have many happy surprises.

Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle