Hi from NW England

AntUK

A quick intro,I'm Tony 67, been modeling in one form or another from childhood really, starting with Airfix kits and the more expensive Tamiya Monogram etc once I could afford them. Then onto balsa and tissue aircraft and scale RC model boats as the children got older and they could sail them too. Still got all the boats and now I'm retired I could do with finishing the hydrographic  survey ship Bulldog that I was building when life got in the way.

I've always fancied a go at wooden static ships which is the main reason I'm here. I have some of the Anatomy of the Ship books and might have a go at Pandora or Lawhill .I'm well aware of the time these things take .and certainly appreciate the standard of models on the site, and already picking up tips and ideas.

Hi David North West England. Oswaldtwistle to be exact. I understand the reason to build a vessel you have an interest in. I came across some photos of Lawhill in a bookshop while on holiday quite some time ago and later spotted the book in another shop so my interest in this ship started from there. I haven't come across any reference to anyone building a model of it yet, though Pandora has been done by more than one member so I have some useful reference material there.

Gidday Tony and another warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

You have found a site where the members knowledge and expertise is second to none.

One suggestion is to look at the various build logs as they may assist in deciding which ship you build.

I still look into various build logs for inspiration and to assist in problem solving.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours.

Mark.

9 hours ago, AntUK said:

Hi David North West England. Oswaldtwistle to be exact. I understand the reason to build a vessel you have an interest in. I came across some photos of Lawhill in a bookshop while on holiday quite some time ago and later spotted the book in another shop so my interest in this ship started from there. I haven't come across any reference to anyone building a model of it yet, though Pandora has been done by more than one member so I have some useful reference material there.

I used to live in Church, just next door to you. Now in Horwich.

Nice to see another Lancastrian here!!

Hello Tony,

Welcome to MSW.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)