Hello from California

tomebe

Hello All,

I ran into this site only a short while ago whilst looking for a boat building project. I've read some of the material offered here for newbies, although I may qualify as an experienced newbie....I'm not sure. I've spent the last 10 years building a model railroad under the rear deck of my home. Its based on a prototype Southern Pacific railroad branch line. Although many of the structures are of the "fine scale miniature" type, some are completely scratch built......on the other hand there no curves to speak of least on my build. I'm an experienced sailor as well having owned a French built 32' sloop on SF bay for a decade or so and served on the Big E for sometime during the Vietnam era. I'm drawn to this because of the challenge and skill build necessary to create a sailing ship

model, but I'm not anxious to try anything overwhelming....in fact simpler is better right now. My railroad will be basically completed in a year/ year and a halfs time......and that is my hobby priority. 

With that said and having looked around I'm thinking to build the little Grand Banks Dory from Bluejacket Ship Crafters.

Would this be a good choice?

thanks

Tom E.

Auburn, Ca

Edited by tomebe

Welcome from a California ex-pat (grew up in Humboldt Co., most recently from Mariposa)! I have no experience with that kit, but I suspect with its flat sides and bottom that it would be a good kit to start with. The owner of Bluejacket is a member here -- look for user "MrBlueJacket". BTW, model railroaders often bring an impressive set of weathering skills to the table.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This is what happens when you grow older. First you forget that you made a purchase of the Bluejacket Grand Banks Dory. You forget cuz other distractions in life occur and that kit sits unintended in a closet until late 2021. Then my wife and I go to New England and we visit Vt, NH, and Maine. The next thing I know we're passing through the town of Searsport ME on RTE 1 on the way to Bar Harbor. My wife is driving and I look to the left and see The Bluejacket store. I get excited and tell my wife that's the Bluejacket store where I ordered my dory 2 years ago.

"That's nice sweetie," she answers.

We eventually make a u turn and stopped at the Penobscot Marine Museum where there were many dory examples. I took photos.

It set my mind to pulling the dory out of the closet and onto the workbench when I return home to California.

I've started building and am enjoying it, and although I've made a bunch of mistakes as in breaking a frame or splitting a plank I have through reading others first build experiences here, been able to correct everything so far to my  skill level. My material handling skills, what needs to be wetted or steamed is in its infancy, although I did manage to bend 1/8" gunwale's to shape using steam from a large cooking pot.

More to come obviously - building a wooden model of the dory is really fun. I just hope I don't blow it up!

IMG_4280.thumb.jpg.5c1a1ad765527da0ccbe10fb8a4ccf95.jpg

With frames built off the template the photo shows the start of attaching the frames, cleats, the stern and the bow stem.

Tom, open a build log in the kit area.  It's a great way to get help and also to meet other modelers.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Tom.  Glad you pulled this kit out of the closet and started this build.  It is an excellent kit and should be a fun build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

On 10/17/2021 at 1:57 PM, AlexMN said:

Hi Tom! I'm building a Dory as well, however I'm doing the Model Shipways Lowell Grand Banks Dory! I am interested to see how your kit differs from that one in looks and the build process!

Hey Alex - I finally sorted out the build log and have started one there. I'll look for your own log as well and follow you there - Tom