Frolic style ropewalk plans

Chuck

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
4 hours ago, Tim Warren said:

The drawing links in the PDF file do not open. Instead you are directed to a webpage offering to sell  the modelshipwrightsdatabase.com domain. Are the drawings available somewhere else?

I just tried the link above. I had no problem. The link for the PDF of the instructions drops right down.

• 1 year later...
32 minutes ago, oldmate said:

I just have to ask, Why make your own rope when there are so many sources available out there. Just seems to me that the time spent could be better spent on the model But that's just me I suppose

Ric

I think the easiest answer is that, for many, making your own ropes and lines is fun! Some who have "gone over to the dark side" of scratch building take pride in "making it all themselves." Others prefer to avoid the expense and sometimes the frustration of sourcing cordage via mail order and appreciate the flexibility of making their own color choices, not to mention that the detail-oriented who want to make right and left handed laid rope, four-strand shroud-laid rope and cable-laid rope in sizes perfectly to scale, have little choice but to make their own. The rest, perhaps more focused on the end product than the process of every detail of a build, opt for sourcing their cordage "off the shelf."  "Different ships, different long splices" and all that.

The question that's perhaps now more pertinent than it was when Frolich and others published their rope-making machine plans is "Why make your own rope-making machine when there are so many sources out there?" Even cost is hardly a consideration when Syren offers a very effective rope-making set-up for less than a hundred bucks, the cost of which is quickly amortized by the savings realized by "rolling your own." (https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com/ropewalk.php) Of course, here again, some prefer to buy their cordage ready-made and if that works for them, they obviously have their reasons.