Hello from (Czecho)Slovakia

lukashko

Hey everyone!

My name is Lukas, I'm from Slovakia, but currently live in the Czech Republic and am a total beginner at wooden ship building. :) My only experience so far is with 1/72 plastic aircraft - I've been at it for almost two years now and have a pretty nice collection already (I still consider myself a novice, though :)). In order to not get bored of the planes I wanted something different and fresh and wooden ships seem like just the right thing.

I already started my first one - Viking by Artesania Latina (I wanted something relatively quick and easy to get my feet wet first).

It's really inspiring to just look around here at all the wonderful stuff you guys are able to create.

Anyways, I am looking forward to learning a whole new skill set and possibly creating something display-worthy in the future myself. :)

L

Edited by lukashko

Welcome! I'd love to visit the Czech Republic someday -- two of my favorite things are made there, but they're both kind of off-limits topics at this site (but one is made in Uherský Brod and the other in Plzeň -- just sayin').

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hi Lukas,

Welcome to MSW.   Do start a build log.  It's a great way to get help when you need it and to make some friends from all over the world.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

With autumn being almost here I plan on getting back to working on my models more often, so I probably will start a build log for the Viking soon. I haven't touched it  for a few weeks now - I had a lot of other activities, but am also a bit afraid of starting the planking process. :)

Gidday Lukas and a warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

If I may I would like to offer a couple of pieces of friendly advice.

I feel I may be a little late with the first piece,

If you can, dry fit as much as possible, problems are easier to rectify when things are not glued up.

Search the build logs for your kit or similar. The search results are a good way of seeing the pitfalls and practical solutions to problems you may encounter.

Finally, and above all else - Enjoy yourself.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours.

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again guys.

I love how friendly and welcoming the modelmaking communities tend to be. It's the same for r/modelmakers.

@pythagoras, really? Do you mind sharing some details? I'm actually Slovak, but I've been living here for a while and have friends from all around the place, so maybe I'll know your ancestors' home town. :)

@Jim Lad Thank you very much. :) There seems to be a lot of guys from the antipodean side of the world. I hope I'll visit one day.

@pontiachedmark Thanks for all the tips. I think I already have the mindset developed from building plastic planes, but it never hurts to reiterate - especially when I am excited about the newness of this shipbuilding stuff. :) I'll definitely try to heed your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from the Czech Republic. Your first model is simpler, you start well. I keep my fingers crossed for the construction!! :imNotWorthy: Ondras

Ondras.

Done : President - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=90230
Under construction : Roter Lowe - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114576

Member of the organizing clubhttps://wchs-c-2023.klom-admiral.cz/en