Diana by chriswi - OcCre

Hi everyone, 

This is my first build log but third ship I've tackled. I started this ship about a year ago and due to the hot weather here in the Phoenix area it makes it hard to work on it year around, so in the summer I have to move from the garage into my office (office has great A/C) so I'am very limited to what I can do.

I had a lot more pictures of the build in its earlier stages but when I got my new phone some pictures were lost lost during the data transfer.🙁

So, I'am hoping everyone will enjoy.

20190427_210545.jpg

20190501_200848.jpg

20190503_202407.jpg

Need some help or ideas.

I've been contemplating this step for a couple weeks now and have yet to come up with a good solution, the brass widows and decorations need to be glued to the transom, I only get one shot at this and as everyone knows if it doesn't go well it's gonna look horrible. I'am not sure what type of glue to use, CA could make a big mess of things and I know contact cement is not a good glue for brass. any suggestions will be very appreciated.

20190923_080555.jpg

I agree with Steve - I would use two-part epoxy.  The five-minute type would be my choice.

A couple of points:  when you clamp the piece to the hull you'll find that the wet epoxy is pretty slippery and the piece may want to slide while you're clamping it.  Also, the epoxy will tend to run and ooze out of the small holes.  This can be cleaned up while it's still wet by washing the unwanted epoxy off with a brush dipped in 90% isopropyl alcohol.  You need to make sure you get the unwanted epoxy off before it has cured - after it's cured you'd have to grind it off.

Chris - like doing anything for the first time I'd use some scrap pieces for testing until you get familiar with using the epoxy.  Epoxy is super strong when cured, so you won't need to use a lot of it.  And you're always welcome to come over so we can play around with the epoxy before you put it on your model.

Thanks Frank and Steve, I went with the epoxy, Thanks for the offer Frank that is very kind of you to help me out. I've quite a bit of experience with the 2 part epoxy from my RC airplane days. it all went very smooth. (having a glass of wine now) 😅 I'am just not happy with how Occre does this part of the ship, they seem to cut corners on this part of the build, other than that I'am very happy with the kit. The only thing left is to fix the cannons on the main deck then it's on to the masts.

20190927_173831.jpg

20190927_175443.jpg

Edited by chriswi

• 2 weeks later...

A good start on the dead eyes, I have spent allot of time trying to decide  weather or not I was going to use black chain or thread for the chain plate, the instructions show thread and I also think the chain would not be correct for the time period of the ship, so I went with black thread. I think chain would look better but need to keep it somewhat correct. Also finished up the rudder chain so I don't lose the rudder if the ship hits some rocks.😂

20191011_150302.jpg

20191011_150441.jpg

• 2 months later...

Chris, nice to see another Diana being built. You did a very fine job. I especially like how the head turned out. And your stern looks very good as well.

I have the same ship on my desk for 12 years now on and off, you made already much more progress than I did.

Keep on the good work.

Past builds: Prins Willem,  Amati Coca

Current Build: Occre Diana

So, I found out something interesting today about Occre and there new procedure regarding replacement parts. Let me first say that Occre is amazing when it comes to replacement parts and there customer service.  I had an issue with 2 of the dowels to be used for the yards on the main and fore mast, they were to warped to use so I put in a replacement request and received my parts but they were sent in Ramin instead of Sappeli, so I emailed Occre of this and asked if I could get the parts in Sappeli, they said that is how they are sending replacement parts now and I needed to stain the new ones in the Sappeli color.  Well just one problem Sappeli stain is not available anywere, I emailed Occre again asking if they have ideas or send me some stain havn't heard back yet. I hope this helps anyone who will be building an Occre kit and need replacement wood.  

My idea is to just paint the yards black witch is not all bad, it should look even better than the stock Sappeli color  

20200103_200056.jpg

20200103_200115.jpg

20 hours ago, Snow said:

Hi mate great work I also built the Diana it took  me 2 years  ,if you want to see any pictures  see occre Diana ship  by snowy 

Cheers snowy 

Thanks snowy, I have seen your Diana and very nice work, you put in a lot of extras that give it a nice touch. Im on my second year building her, my biggest issue living in Phoenix Arizona I lost a lot of build time the first summer, about 5 months lost due to being to hot in my garage. about 125 degrees 😓 but if i go into this summer I should be able to work on it in the house just the rigging left to do.

Hi chriswi. 

In my kit all the masts and yards are made of ramin. I have spent some time wondering how i will paint or stain these. Painting them black sounds like an good option.

I think i will stain the mast in mahogny and paint the yards black. 

Edited by Retroship

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...