HMS Victory by mispeltyoof - Panart - Scale 1:78

Begun my Panart HMS VICTORY. This is the kit with the boats and copper tiles. First reactions that the kit contents are high quality with straight ,unblemished wood. The instructions and plans are minimal. If I cut out the English instructions and glued them on to sheets would only just about cover two A4 sheets. This us my fourth wooden build and although sellers say beginners could attempt this kit I would doubt it. I have had to stare at the simple plans (only two sheets cover the whole hull build) for days to try to understand what to do. However ,eventually could figure it out(only because I'm not a novice.
Downloaded Caldecraft's instructions which help a little .Moving on to bevelling  the bulwarks before thinking about initial planking. My instructions say virtually nothing and don't mention bevelling etc as does Caldecraft's but my initial look suggests that the bulwarks don't need excessive shaping but will spend as much time as needed to get this crucial stage as perfect as possible.

81571568_238831773771911_3862081841498423296_n.jpg

81615007_238831807105241_8474091889438490624_n.jpg

Decks fitted and planked and cabins ,ships wheel and ropes fitted and top of poop deck installed. Now need to sand and bevel bulwarks and where deck meets bulwarks before thinking about planking. This is likely to take a long time. Have decided to plank in smaller lengths rather than wrestle with full lengths. Waiting for Amazon to deliver planking clamps and electric plank bender  before contemplating the actual first planking.

Reading as many "guides" to planking and downloaded Caldecraft and DeAgnostini,s manuals.  Useful (especially D'Agnosinis) Too much information tends to confuse but Im managing to get a "simple" guide for me to follow. The Panart instructions are very sparse and simplistic virtually saying bung the on and then paint the whole lot in PVA . One presumes so you can cover up gaps and errors. I want try to plank this excellent kit as well and as realistically as possible so I will avoid slapping PVA or indeed filler onto the planks if possible. :)) Time will tell!

81199325_238831903771898_6322282054025216000_n.jpg

81285709_238831920438563_7483054380892028928_n.jpg

81359149_238831893771899_2822341478284525568_n.jpg

This is my preferred method of plank bending. Its simple, hassle free .enables me to bend several at once if needed and  costs nothing. After wetting the planks I gently start a slight bend then place onto the former I have cut from an offset of baton found in my garage. I place the top part of the former on top then clamp (or fasten with rubber bands etc). After a period to allow the planks to dry remove the top and the planks. If I need to make any fine adjustments to the bend to ensure a perfect fit I can simply moisten the plank and gently adjust with fingers.IMG-3539.thumb.JPG.ac11e306d03b9dabfea2d3b5f1d2e25f.JPG

IMG-3543.thumb.JPG.f0d7f22dd6ddfaba545f8f55a88ffb89.JPG

Hi, I like the bending former, the best solutions nearly always tend to be the simplest. 

Cheers 👍🙂

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Y.T. said:

Looks as these planks do not lie flat on this bulkhead. How are you going to proceed at that location?

6 minutes ago, mispeltyoof said:

No problem .This bulwark doesn't give the correct shape to the original Victory shape. Don't forget this is the first planking and not important as it can be shaped and modified to the "correct" shape via sanding and filling. The walnut second planking is the one that counts.

Well, yes and no. I agree with YT that the profile formers didn't receive enough shaping. To sand those bent portions round, you'll need to remove a significant amount of wood, which will weaken the first layer at the point of attachment. The second layer can and does hide a multitude of planking sins, but I think it's a good idea to get the shape more or less correct with the first layer. I'll be interested to see how this works out going forward!

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

• 4 weeks later...

First planking finished. Obviously needs sanding and some bits of filling now. Decided to ignore the Panart instructions and decided to cut the gun ports next before starting the second planking.The bow and stern have planked well enough to move on to the next stage of sanding then possibly priming with a 50/50 PVA and water solution to secure the joints.

IMG_20200310_185842.jpg

IMG_20200310_190127.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Begun cutting the gun ports. I decided ,after much thought<,to ignore the Panart instructions and cut the gun ports before the second walnut planking. I figured that it would be one less, and probably delicate, layer of planking to cut and file through, and would allow me to tidy everything up as I complete the second planking I intend to do the second planking to scale i.e. 5" lengths of plank. BTW in response the the previous comments I would mention that both the bow and the stern actually ended up quite adequate (if not fine)for me to quite happily begin the second planking when gun ports and smooth sanding completed so as the Bard said "alls well that ends well" :))

IMG_20200320_190709.jpg

Edited by mispeltyoof

• 9 months later...

Very sparse instructions on this Panart Victory. So after cutting all the gun ports from the supplied template and following pics in instructions Im sat looking at the schematic and suddenly see this cutout with two stanchions which must have something to do with the rigging and needed down the line. 

Looked through the pics in instructions and no mention whatsoever of this ,and the gunport template ignores it too!.

IMG_20210115_190328804.thumb.jpg.5493e469c3c20d4362b4bc688abdf6e0.jpg

IMG_20210115_190356336.thumb.jpg.ffb1ff2a65a8b97fa59a21d866fbe81c.jpgHad then to cut out the holes in the hull through two layers of planking following the dimensions on the plan. Filing them to shape wasn't easy (Im elderly with one eye and arthritic hands) so decided to fit a surround to straighten the "hacked out" openings in bulwarks. Then painted them to match what had been built originally.

IMG_20210115_193409810.jpg

Please don't send me helpful comments explaining my errors as Im completely aware of my short comings and clumsiness. I see my ship building as a wonderful hobby that offers me many cognitive and physical challenges plus immense enjoyment. I do not see it as a competitive sport and am not interested to know that during a certain battle the ropes had only 16 turns rather than the twelve I have done :)

IMG_20210115_200624353.jpg

IMG_20210115_200646182.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Completed gratings. Sadly ,once again, thwarted by missing parts from this Panart kit. The grating pieces were there nut missing half a dozen. Maybe I’ve been unlucky but they are miserly in the extreme with small parts which aren’t expensive but are either insufficient in number or missing completely. Shame because it makes building this otherwise excellent kit frustrating . Luckily my last kit completed was a Caldecraft and It had some”left overs” so I could complete this task. Problem is ,of course,is that you discover the paucity of parts fourteen months into the build and you then have go to Cornwall models to hopefully order extra bits with often a delay and postage costs when if like Caldecraft they had decent quality control structures the build would be much more enjoyable 

FCC6D46C-0408-4AFF-B0CE-B926E9710C95.jpeg