HMS Terror by ObviousNewbie - FINISHED - OcCre - Scale 1:75 - first wooden ship build

in reality it was a lot more complicated than what occre have shown! the truss which holds the yard to the mast is in two interlocking runs which lead to blocks at base of mast- the yard being held aloft by the jeer blocks and sling.- see my hms victory log which shows earlier style but terror would have had later style which run the trusses slightly differently😁- hope i havn't scared you too much😱

Keith

Also a very common error I see on models is the location of the yards. Where they are on the mast depends on whether the sails are flying or not. I often see models without sails but with the yards hanging where they would be if the sails were flying. The proper position for the topsail and topgallant yards if you're not flying sails is down close to the base of their respective masts. Except the lowermost one; that stays up at the top of the lower mast.

I think this is true at any rate. Better check with someone else before you do anything. Disregard if you're planning on having the sails flying.

6 hours ago, clearway said:

that is correct keith- unless modelling as a museum ship (victory and constitution to name two where they are "hoisted "  but without sails like my victory build.

Keith

I didn't know they did that. I was thinking about ships with the sails bent on, but furled. That's how I'm going to do mine.

I didn't even notice the yards were "hoisted" on your Victory. My attention has been on all the different ropes with salty names :)

Hi all,

Quick question: Main mast is coming along, tried rigging the yardarms to the foremast:

IMG_7156.thumb.JPG.2052e43ef6f826ccf7fb6ed53bf72241.JPG

Used the technique as described in the Occre videos, but did not glue. as the yardarms themselves are just about everywhere, I assume I DO NOT GLUE the yardarm to the mast, only secure the knot, and let the rigging sort out the alignment of the yardarms? Or am I making things too complicated? Will try out a couple more things to ensure a more robust connection with the ropes (Thnx Wahka and Clearway), not sure I have the experience to try this out, I guess we'll have to see.

The set-up so far:

IMG_7158.thumb.JPG.075f231bda0e0723c0c770250e0847c8.JPG

As always, thnx for your advice and support 🙂

"Whatever does not kill you, only makes you stranger."

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

the rigging will hold the masts in place- occre do include a block in the middle of the yard for the jeers so this will hold the yard up then the lifts from the end of the yards to the masts will keep them trim- i have never glued a yard to a mast- you need the play because you will catch them by accident (wish i had a fiver for everytime i have knocked victory's yards so far!

Keith

Hi there... just discovered your topic. Go on, you really do well what you do, even as a beginner. And do not worry - we learn a lot from mistakes.

I don't know if I'm entitled to give any advice (I'm still a newbie/greenhorn, I only made one ship model), but I preferred to glue the yardarm to the mast, even reinforced it with a wire. If you do not want to glue them, you can at least use the wire, as it offers at least a stronger support, which will allow you to have a better tension in the ropes when you'll start rigging. However, in the end it is your decision, pretty sure will be the correct one.

Keep working - I will follow your journey.

Nelu A

The shipbuilder without patience is like the ship without an anchor.

Completed build: SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST by Mioriticul – D’Agostini (AL) – scale 1:50 – first wooden ship model

• 2 weeks later...

Small update: All the masts are up:

IMG_7183.thumb.JPG.a0fda4d0ac4b3bec52fc43be122bae7c.JPG

I really have to find another location to take pictures of her, she's outgrowing my workbench 🙂

No masts or yards are attached, still waiting for the parts to make the channels. Thought it made more sense to move the hull around without all the masts glued to it. Following some good advice from my fellow builders Clearway and Wahka, I've been experimenting with the yards:

IMG_7184.thumb.JPG.ccd1c6f12fbd8e3d0350df2789e63655.JPG

Seems a bit more robust, but I'm still not done testing.

Meanwhile, rigging seems to come closer and closer.From the different sources I found, the sequence doesn't seem to be set: Occre video's start with the shrouds, then the standing rigging, then the running rigging, then the sails. Mastini's book recommends doing the top shrouds before the masts are even mounted! What is your experience sequence-wise, what works best for you?

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre

6 minutes ago, ObviousNewbie said:

Mastini's book recommends doing the top shrouds before the masts are even mounted! What is your experience sequence-wise, what works best for you?

I haven't done any rigging like your ship yet, but from what I have done and what I have seen recommended - do as much as you can off model before stepping the masts. It is a lot easier to work off ship (this aligns with Mastini's advice as well). I'd like to hear what others think as well once they reach the point that the masts need to be mounted.

i install the masts then rig the shrouds starting with mizzen and sequence forward - basically there is a step by step guide on my billings victory log- then i install the driver boom and gaff then the yards working from mizzen forwards- on ships from terrors era the futtock stays rig to cains around the mast as opposed to the shrouds on earlier ships.😉 beware occre havn't got the rigging 100% correct.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thnx for checking in 🙂 Small update, but lots of testing. Channels and deadeyes are now all installed:

IMG_7237.thumb.JPG.65b05752fc72f73390340ec718727ef3.JPG

As my local store did not have the necessary parts in stock, tried out cornwellmodelboats.co.uk, which I found referenced in several logs here. Ordered Thursday evening, shipped on Friday, in my mailbox next Wednesday. Excellent service!

Attached the catheads:

IMG_7236.thumb.JPG.485fedc82aa14799981598c39a036ad8.JPG

Those rivets will be my undoing... Talk about a test of nerves.

Made some davits as well, and prepped the wooden construction for the deck. Also, started thinking about the shrouds and the way to attach them. Occre's video's just put the rope over the mast, doesn't make much sense to me as I think the shrouds are there for lateral support. John Aliprantis' video series on Santissima Trinidad is pairing up the lines, starting from the middle and then working their way out to the end deadeyes, but from what I saw all lines are attached for one side (port) and then the other, which didn't make much sense either to me. Mastini's book brought some much needed explanation, as in how to attach while switching from port to starboard.

In the end I tried out a variation. As this is my first model, I really don't have any spares, so I tried it out on Terror herself, without glueing anything. Basically the idea is to follow Mastini's guidelines, but tie the rope around the mast with a knot. Then glue the two ends together at the base of the knot, and proceed with the deadeyes at the bottom. Tried this out:

IMG_7239.thumb.JPG.36bd2a6e59efd4b3f867df9cd1f78e02.JPG

IMG_7240.thumb.JPG.4e26496eb47c429394d817ee9eacafec.JPG

Again, nothing glues and just used some ends of spare ropes, but I think it does the trick. So two lines to port, two lines to starboard, and work my way from the stem to the stern. An thoughts on this? Am I missing something vital? I saw Mastini is tying the line together at the top, might be a way to go as well...

As always, thnx for the advice!

Current build: 

i loop the shroud around the mast then tie them using black sewing thread thread and glue the knot with P.V.A and trim when dried alternate starboard then port then starboard again etc etc. then when all done i use a homemade spacer and tie the deadeyes in place starting in same order i rigged shrouds. there is a pic of the deadeye spacer on my victory log. hope this makes sense😁.

Keith

Thnx for the tip Keith! Took a deep breath and forged on: foremast shrouds in place 🙂

IMG_7243.thumb.JPG.c3840ce1c073a5b016131d42c9e381ad.JPG

Current build: 

12 hours ago, Wahka_est said:

Really nice!

And you are ahead of me, now i can ask you for advice :) .

As you are doing so well do you allready have ideas for next kit?

Thnx! Glad to help if I can, but remember this is my first one, so make sure you check with more experienced builders, I don't want to pass on any bad habits 🙂

I'm eyeing 2 models actually, both from Occre: One is the Beagle:

2074454421_Screenshot2020-07-01at09_07_11.png.14efed1c7d815d1e628b032c1540ee44.png

The other one is the frigate Diana:

1085312379_Screenshot2020-07-01at09_06_12.png.90ff5ffee7739f101d3256502aea726d.png

I have a slight preference for the second one, but it seems a lot more complex than Terror, so hesitating. Can't find any build logs either, and contrary to Beagle and Terror, Occre doesn't have any instruction videos, so I'll be jumping in at the deep end..

Current build: 

i have the occre beagle as well in my stash- my advice is get a copies of books on modelling ships (plenty of 2nd hand ones around) which will give you a better idea than occre videos- also there are a gazillion build logs on here for tips🤓- i learnt by building a couple of the easier billings boats kits and reading books on the subject.

Keith

What i have learned from 3 unfinished BUT on going :D builds is that if you finally understand generally how it should be contricted then tou are good. Just need to know how to read the drawings. 
Also some times they are confusing for newbie like me and then exactly the books come in as they have better vosual explanations. So like said before get few books. 
Only
 Thing im really afraid myself is the rigging but i guess if tou have done few plus help from books its fine. 
As you gain more experience the problem will be that you demand more from yourself regarding the quality.

So i would say take a leap forward.

Really good kit would be something from Master Korabel also. They have great instructions and most parts are laser cut, even the planking.

His all, thnx for checking in. Small update: lower shrouds are rigged:

IMG_7247.thumb.JPG.08c4edee0228e0aec36506472c526b5e.JPG

IMG_7250.thumb.JPG.a9f4c3c894700d212e04b9912efedbc6.JPG

On to the ratlines 🙂 Question: as the instructions don't mention this, what should be the distance between ratlines at 1/75th scale, in millimeters? Did some looking around, numbers vary from 4 to 7 mms, which is quite a margin I think... Thnx for the help!

Current build: 

On 7/1/2020 at 9:11 AM, ObviousNewbie said:

Thnx! Glad to help if I can, but remember this is my first one, so make sure you check with more experienced builders, I don't want to pass on any bad habits 🙂

I'm eyeing 2 models actually, both from Occre: One is the Beagle:

2074454421_Screenshot2020-07-01at09_07_11.png.14efed1c7d815d1e628b032c1540ee44.png

The other one is the frigate Diana:

1085312379_Screenshot2020-07-01at09_06_12.png.90ff5ffee7739f101d3256502aea726d.png

I have a slight preference for the second one, but it seems a lot more complex than Terror, so hesitating. Can't find any build logs either, and contrary to Beagle and Terror, Occre doesn't have any instruction videos, so I'll be jumping in at the deep end..

Hi obvious, you can contact occre, maybe they can send you a PDF copy of the instructions. At occremania i'm sure they're ready to download for Terror, maybe not for the Diana, so you can send a mail

Regards,

F.

2 minutes ago, Geowolf said:

Hi obvious, you can contact occre, maybe they can send you a PDF copy of the instructions. At occremania i'm sure they're ready to download for Terror, maybe not for the Diana, so you can send a mail

Regards,

F.

Confirmed the Diana is not at occremania, only the Terror, the Beagle, easy models. No doubt you can contact occre by mail they're very charm, and remember him you're already customer 😜

On 7/9/2020 at 8:12 PM, Geowolf said:

Confirmed the Diana is not at occremania, only the Terror, the Beagle, easy models. No doubt you can contact occre by mail they're very charm, and remember him you're already customer 😜

Hi F, checked the Occre site, they updated their product pages with a link to the the downloadable instructions. Grabbed both Diana and Beagle. Diana is a challenge, but she looks too good to resist 🙂

Current build: 

Hi all, thnx for checking in. Big update, it's been quiet, but not at the shipyard. First of all, I finalised the ratlines:

IMG_7260.thumb.JPG.177b329084bb0e2af4f359bccc901662.JPG

IMG_7276.thumb.JPG.9d904028024b895e1806880607cf29fa.JPG

I just love how the lines really flesh out the appearance. Also installed the structure at the stern and 2 davits, as I assumed they would be impossible to get to when all rigging was done:

IMG_7273.thumb.JPG.e5ad6f42b0570409a948978856a882c1.JPG

Then, the big leap: standing rigging. Honestly, the two things I feared most before starting, planking and rigging, are proving to be  the most rewarding steps in the build 🙂 I know, I still need to get to the hard bits rigging-wise, but so far I'm having a blast. As the shipyard is getting smaller and smaller by the day (especially after mounting the bowsprit), I took Terror for a little trip to the kitchen to shoot some pictures:

IMG_7280.thumb.JPG.fd0f2b0544672b192bbb0fbfda4d9888.JPG

IMG_7281.thumb.JPG.c5e48141d43504e454d79dcc16d9d384.JPG

And that's where we are today. Rest of the standing rigging should be ready by next week, then the fun really begins, as that's the part of the rigging schemes I still cannot figure out. The videos help though..

Current build: 

18 hours ago, ObviousNewbie said:

Hi F, checked the Occre site, they updated their product pages with a link to the the downloadable instructions. Grabbed both Diana and Beagle. Diana is a challenge, but she looks too good to resist 🙂

Ahhh perfect!! The Diana frigate model is very nice, i like It!! And you have a great level at this moment, sure you can do It.

Your Terror ship is awesome, i'm seeing your pictures. Well done!! 😃

Hi all, thnx for checking in. So after the last update, I got busy: finalised the standing rigging and took care of the running rigging as well:

IMG_7302.thumb.JPG.7654127f703972eb17568fe12be5c3ee.JPG

Halyards were interesting, as most blocks were tucked away between the loops of the standing rigging. The fathoms were even more interesting, took me a while to see that the only way to get them set up correctly is working in pairs, and from the top down, contrary to the standing rigging where I worked from the deck up in order to keep an eye on the ropes staying tensed. Managed to minimise the damage, a good thing I didn't glue the yardarms but tightly knotted them. Oh, could we change the term "Dolphin Striker" to "Shipwright Striker"? Seems to make more sense that way...

Some extra angles:

IMG_7307.thumb.JPG.3fdb64409184bbdbb545446a1f933387.JPG

IMG_7314.thumb.JPG.6a14e38bf07538feccc307a273547f33.JPG

And a hero shot 🙂

IMG_7322.thumb.JPG.a74b89dd3bd2e51ef273ea2fe78bd6d1.JPG

Just realised that port is my wall side, so please be gentle 🙂

After looking at her the way she is now and examining the sails provided in the kit, I decided not to use them. Tried one sail on, makes her look a bit like a toy frankly. Also, up until now the rigging plans were clear, but rigging the sails is still beyond me.

Left to do: rigging the rear mast, sloops, anchors, chimneys, screw, and the remaining davits!

Current build: 

A superb model, and nice pictures!! i like a lot the second one, it seems we're seeing the ship from another one, very realistic! well done,

i can't imagine the hard life being a sailor inside this ships, going "upstairs" to extends or take the sails in a middle of a tempest at Artic region,... wow!! and actually we complain if our last Amazon order is being delayed hahahaha.

I've retaken the Patrick O'Brian books this summer, but more than Jack Aubrey i'm more identified with S. Maturin 😊

good summer for all and take care!  

F.