Fair American - Lauck Street Shipyard

Steven1

Hello,

In my kit stash is Bob Hunt's "Fair American" kit (kit #58 purchased in 2006). My understanding is that it doesn't represent an actual scale model, but would seem to build up to a very attractive representation of ship construction, etc.

I've done a search on this site and I've found two builds, both of which seem to have come to a halt at different stages of the build (I get that, my build of the Emma C. Berry under "Model Kits" go through similar lapses!)

If anyone here has the kit, has started it, or even completed it, I would enjoy and appreciate any comments about the kit as I screw up my courage to start it!

Steve

Dont forget to check out the many photos of the contemporary model posted in out gallery.  They are located in the contemporary model section of the gallery.

Hi Steve. I built that model years ago. I'll keep an eye on your build log to see if there is anything I can help with but its been a long time so I can't promise I'll remember how things went. If I remember correctly, I just followed the provided instructiions and all was good.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Hi, Steve,

I built this model (#3) when Bob first released it.  I can't give you any tips because I don't remember much, but a photo is attached.  Authentic or not, accurate or not, I can says it's beautiful, and one of my two favorites.  I wasn't a member then so there is no build log.

Miles

IMG_0082.JPG

Attached are a couple of pics of my Fair American. It was a good build and the instructions were very good. 

I am looking for one Bob Hunt's LSS kits - HMS Kingfisher. If you or anyone has this unbuilt kit collecting dust and want to sell, Please let me know. Thanks

Bob

C5D08CC5-EEEE-4A57-8580-22519CE39B76.jpeg

FDE441D7-1A87-46D3-B166-5569A854CB6A.jpeg

Edited by Bobbuild
additional info

I built it years ago, as I recall it was a fun build because it was the first time I used that building technique. Turned out rather well just follow the practicum and you will be fine. For me there were many lessons learned during the build that I still use today.  
Enjoy!

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

I still have one about 75% done but I want to add rigging to it - link in my sig..... Glenn Barlow just posted pics of his FA in the gallery - one of the best examples of this fun kit I have ever seen!

Don't forget to check out the beautiful Fair American model at the USNA which served as the basis for the Model Shipways version as well as Clay Feldman's book on scratch building the FA.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks everyone,

Seems like this will be a good one to dig into when I get my Emma C. Berry done (see my progress under Build Logs--- Model Ship Kits), and a Model Shipways AVS kit that's almost ready for rigging. Glad to hear the positive impressions!

And Glen Barlow's model looks fantastic!

Steve

Edited by Steven1

For those of you building this model and particularly for those planning to rig it, there was an extensive series of articles published in the Nautical Research Journal a number of years about the model at the Naval Academy.  If I remember correctly some of the rigging is not period correct.  Apparently done by the notorious Charles Davis I the ‘20s.  Spend a few bucks and buy the articles from the NRG office.

Roger