HMS Victory by Matthew Kassebaum - Billing Boats - First ship build

if you mean the run of the gunports then yes the ports are cut into the wales as the planking run does not follow same run as the decks- some people just using varnished wood as a finish replicate the yellow/ black pattern using wales- this is not prototypical just cosmetic. hope the below pic helps.145842174_Victory_whale1.thumb.jpg.097172060b703182664246e0d49fd884.jpg

P7201341.JPG

In actual practice, the thicker wales were made using thicker wood.  So the appearance of "overlapping" (like a on a lapstrake hull) is deceiving.   Here's photos from a frigate cross-section (Triton here on MSW) but you can see the way the wales (black) were on piece and thicker than the rest of the planking.

post-387-0-59508100-1362840168.jpg.58fdde586dc1e9407f492a7449f723ba.jpg  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes that all made sense and thank you for the input as it is always appreciated. I have made headway in this stormy sea. I am going to do a double plank. My first layer is on.....a little rough..but Im pleased for this being my first. My second layer is about half as thin....more like deck planks but twice as wide so about the same width as the hull planks provided by Billings so very workable. Ive discovered a love/ hate relationship with the old girl......learning as I go. I discovered mistakes as I went with the first planking..but its a strong base for the second layer. I do understand the advice of not making this a first build but I am patient and meticulous and trudging headlong into this stormy sea!!!🚣‍♂️

20200523_190943.jpg

Just came across your build log. Will take a seat and watch the progress unfold. It's looking great so far!!

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Hi Mathew,

I’ll tag along with this build if you don’t mind.

Regarding the Wales the practice was to ‘run-out’ the thicker planking with a couple of planking strakes of increasingly diminishing thickness, this drawing is taken from Steel for a 74 gun ship and you can see how this works in actual practice.

6B3E41CC-42C6-404F-ACBA-ECC7D101CE5D.jpeg.e83d193adfd37f5858d495983fe403b5.jpeg

But for the real Victory she is no longer single planked at the Wales, and in reality a lot of her planking is comprised of laminated material (due to cost and availability), but in this respect it is not unlike your double plank build. Arthur Bugler’s Midship sectional drawing captures the actual restoration planking practice where you can see the second layer of planking being used to simulate the Wales and their run-out.

FE3AB780-558E-4525-B719-174AFA1BB77A.jpeg.363d7df611b62c9898c136a6c0f412d9.jpeg

I hope adds to what Mark and clearway have said.

Gary

another Vic log, i will tag along for the ride, i recently completed the Caldercraft version, so good luck and there are plenty of people around to get advice from

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Yes Gary that does explain alot. I struggled with the planking as this is my first. Fitting sanding..etc. As I said there are mistakes but I knew starting that I wanted to double it and It has given me a good learning base and the second layer is quite thin. When finished you probably wont even notice that its double planked by looking at it but it allows me learning...and fixing. Thanks for the follow Kevin. As Ive mentioned before you hopped on board feel free to chime in! This is my first so all are welcome!

Starting on the second layer of plank...😒..the row of pins along the side is how far down the second layer is now. This is a SERIOUS chore...but relaxing as well..IF you have the patience to do one plank..let it dry....and fit it. Anyone keeping track....this far....I have roughly just over 110 hours to this point. Slower than some..faster than others..but a Victory of this size...that is where I am.

20200525_170931.jpg

Just an update. Second layer of planking in and rough sanded....now detail work and more sanding and some trimming. When she rolled off the table it did shatter some planking that is actually covered by the copper. I filled in part but as I said it is covered by copper.

20200531_114355.jpg

Those things happen to try and test us. Good thing most of it is intact!

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

I have found it strange that often ships think they are airplanes and try to fly.   :P   You're doing well on this build.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ready made sails are usually way out of scale, Matthew.  Too thick, seams too large, etc.    What many do is use silkspan and make their own.  There's several discussions here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/16-masting-rigging-and-sails/    When you go to that subforum, use the search feature and limit to that sub forum. You'll find a lot of information.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

No rush.  I don't do sails normally but I'm thinking about it on my current project.   I did find this pdf on doing furled sails.  Someone saved it from the dark ages of MSW.

FURLED SAILS.pdf

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

So as this is a learning process as well...in all my glory and pride of working soooooo hard on my planking....I forgot one....small...tiny....detail..............😤🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

So I have spent the last hour or two measuring..planning...drawing..and this is where I am. I did get this half lined up correctly which I am proud of considering. On to the front...and of course the other side. Then to clean up above the deck and make some sanding corrections and do some detail work with the wood file. Onward we go!

20200607_093134.jpg

Update for all following. Began cutting gun ports. After getting tired of cutting I did start to frame some in and as I did actually double plank the whole ship and it only calls for one I am backfilling each port with balsa that will bring it back to 1 plank depth. I have not started cutting on the other side. Each port is framed and back filled and then sanded flush with the hull.

20200610_163155.jpg