Hello from a New "Old" member from Coastal NC

Greeting fellow modelers.  I am getting back into a hobby that I have not had the time or energy to work with for the last many years.  I was a member here sometime in the 2000's.  Then the crap  hit the fan in my family and over the next 10 years we lost 3 of the most important members of our family to cancer.  I have discovered that I can still lose myself in modelbuilding and thank God for it.  I am finishing up a MS Constitution kit that I started in 1992 and have drug it around with me ever since.  Believe it or not, I still have all the parts, tools etc...  Im 65 now and am pretty sure I have been building models of all sorts since I was 5.  Its something that I just loved.  Sometime in the early 90's I got into IPMS society and actually won 3rd place in one of the contest for my 1/32 F5.  I got so serious about everything having to be perfect, that it just took the fun right out of it.  For me, getting a model and building it over night was just simply awesome.  Well, ive learned a bit since then.  For instance, ive learned that you don't get nearly as many fingerprints on your kit if you actually wait for the paint to dry....LOL

Anyhow, I just received the kits for the Winchelsea from Chuck P.  I ordered it at the beginning of the week and its on my build table right now.  Thanks so much to Mr. P.  Also the parts are nearly perfect.   His laser table really does a beautiful crisp job.  

I will start a build log and post the pics of the parts I received in a few moments.

I want to just take a line here to say thanks to all the rest of you for posting and participating.  I cant tell you how many times over the years that I have just lurked on this site and watched the beautiful kits that you here have been building.  That being said, I have a hard time taking pictures of the build while I am building it.  It kind of interrupts the flow for me for some reason.  Probably the fact that my head is so full of loss and pain that I just cant sit still long enough.

Warm  :sign: and welcome back to ship modelling.
Looking forward to see your build log of Winchelsea.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome. Coastal NC has been a special place in my family for over 40 years and I envy your proximity. I hope you'll find value and peace in returning to this community.

Welcome back home to MSW, OldChur.   Sorry to hear of the loss of you family members.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Coastal NC is a wonderful area to pursue the beauty and charm of things-boat!  I found that out in a small fishing village there and am still scratch-building local fishing vessel models.  Beware "Old" member, this hobby can be entrapping … while not yet "old" (IMHO)  I do have about two decades on you!!!

My current model is a shrimp trawler … 1:42 plank on bulkhead … putting on finishing touches!

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me