New member intro

Hello all, new member from California. While not new to modeling, I do consider myself a beginner when it comes to ship modeling. I read the post titled A Cautionary Tale by ccoyle and I definitely fit the category of starting off biting off more than I could handle. My first attempt was the Armed Virginia Sloop kit from Model Expo. It was during the initial planking that I found I was in over my head. I set the model aside and drifted away from the hobby. 
There’s something about ships and modeling that just keeps drawing me back. The beauty of it just keeps pulling at me.

I have since restarted work on my model with a renewed interest and much more knowledge from reading build logs online and I have to say it appears to be going well. I look forward to continuing to learn from you all and eventually be comfortable enough in my builds to share them as well.

Welcome, Dale, from a NorCal ex-pat. The AVS is a well-regarded kit and is often suggested for beginners since it has minimal rigging and armament. As you have learned, even a "beginner" kit has sufficient challenges for s first-time builder. I hope your renewed enthusiasm will get you past any mental roadblocks on your project. Be sure to start a build log!

BTW, depending on your whereabouts, there are at least three very good local ship modeling clubs in California: South Bay Model Shipwrights (Bay Area), Ship Modelers Association (Fullerton), and San Diego Ship Modelers Guild.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome to MSW, Dale.  Looking forward to seeing your log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to Model Ship World Dale.  There are a lot of Armed Virginia Sloop build logs on this site.  You can find them by using the "Search" function at the top of this page.  Her is a link to a short AVS build log that was one of my favorites:

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

ccoyle, I was a member of the Hyde Street Pier Model Shipwrights for a period of time. They are a wonderful group of modelers and they were an incredible resource. Unfortunately, the distance I have to travel makes being an active member difficult and I just didn’t feel right about just popping in now and then.

I do continue to follow their activities as much as I can on Facebook.

Ryland, thank you for the link. I’m sure I will be binge reading build logs as I progress 

Hallo,

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 6/19/2020 at 7:45 AM, Dale Rappleye said:

I’m sure I will be binge reading build logs as I progress 

That's great - but don't forget to start a build log of your own - both for the help and encouragement you'll get from other members as they look at it, but also to help others who may follow you doing the same model. Often your method of overcoming an obstacle will help someone else confronted by the same problem.