Nenad,

You're doing well... very well.  I don't know any of us who haven't done things that we later said "oops" like you leaving stuff under the deck.  The spice is flowing, my friend.  Let it continue to flow.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Nenad. This is just a suggestion for you, but you might consider using some watch-parts to make the cogs on your windlass.

If you do, then you just know I will want to see your windlass in Kit-Basher's ... 

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

nicely done Nenad!   you could move the lockers a bit closer and hide them........but I would think the cages were removable,  so they could be cleaned...especially the pig pen.   I can just hear the sailor {tasked with the job} now......."I'm not gonna crouch down there to clean that!"  as for those lockers,  Revell called them sail lockers in their instructions.  there are some 39 sails that fit the Cutty.......I'm in doubt that they would all fit in them.  they could be a utility locker......or possibly even the heads.   perhaps someone can clear this up...... ;)

have fun with the windlass.........let the spice flow!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis, in Campbell's plans they are called/named Paint locker and Pig pen. In actual Cutty Sark, you can see a piggy model in Pig pen, and nothing in Paint locker. To me it seems impossible to put there any sail ... when you need to get sail from there, you have to go under ladder (if there were ladders), to jump over windlass and to dive under fore deck .... I do not believe that was the way ... but in my mind a long time ago is a questuon about - where they keep all this when not in use. On spars? I don't think so.

Anybody?

Btw, war was in my place too, Denis ( Nenad VS Wild gras. Nenad wins. Nenad deadly tired to make windlass.)

In the back in thiis picture you can see over 1mm high memory hill for death enemy soldiers

post-4738-0-97628300-1429203422_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

.... there are some 39 sails that fit the Cutty.......I'm in doubt that they would all fit in them. they could be a utility locker......or possibly even the heads. perhaps someone can clear this up...... ;)

Here is extracts from original specification

post-4738-0-94661600-1429217250_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-01869400-1429216972_thumb.jpg

So, a lot of them . Really a lot

Abybody knows their storage?

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I think the locker would be more for studding sails and extra sail-cloth, and the rest would stay aloft, either furled or lowered.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

i was referring to the two lockers that sit on each side of the main deck,  before the fore deck...tall skinny lockers.  Revell made no effort to include a pig pen or paint locker in their kit.  I did do something with the windlass and anchor chain...the kit calls for using three pieces of chain.....I used two by drilling a couple holes under the fore deck,  and two more holes covered by the chain gates.  I'm sure you'll get to this step soon  ;)

no mowing here yet {thank goodness}.........the snow has finally disappeared!  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Snow ... what snow ... I forgot this winter how it looks ... and how it is to clean 80m of street alone if I want to pull out car from garage and go somewhere ...

Toward windlass ... I remembered something ... almost perfect look, but 1-2mm less in diameter ... lighter wheel ... let it be over night, maybe I get some of my silly or bright ideas how to resolve this

post-4738-0-57557900-1429297831.jpg

Morning is by default smarter than evening

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Even better than used watch-parts !!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Snow ... what snow ... I forgot this winter how it looks ... and how it is to clean 80m of street alone if I want to pull out car from garage and go somewhere ...

Toward windlass ... I remembered something ... almost perfect look, but 1-2mm less in diameter ... lighter wheel ... let it be over night, maybe I get some of my silly or bright ideas how to resolve this

attachicon.gifpost-4738-0-26676500-1402311783_thumb.jpg

Morning is by default smarter than evening

Hi,

Ideas are never silly only miss timed. As they will work somewhere just not in every occasion when you first think of them

Ongoing builds,

SCutty Sark Revell 1/350 (Mini Nannie)

Cutty Sark Airfix 1/130 (Big Sis)

Will (Everard) Billings 1/65 but with wooden bottom, because I can

Windlass ...

Canibalized lighter wheel for central strucrure

post-4738-0-12498800-1429386595_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-44242100-1429386651_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-24236200-1429386679_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-49445300-1429386754_thumb.jpg

Rest is wood

Scale is ok, and look and feel are ok
post-4738-0-50554000-1429386627_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-79708600-1429386781_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-50880300-1429386803_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-32178600-1429386827_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-53523300-1429386845_thumb.jpg

What do you say ?

post-4738-0-61020600-1429387391_thumb.png

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

That is one impressive bit of work, Nenad.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fantastic job !!
Now ... it's off to Kit-Basher's with that idea !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

your idea came out in a very super way!    it looks great Nenad!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You, boys (and girls ?) are really ... something special ... your support turn me on to try to do my best, and to learn a lot

Thank you very much !!!

On the way to mount windlass after some fine trimming of windlass ...

post-4738-0-43507400-1429552446_thumb.jpg

Lesson learned: I hurry with glueing cages on place ... now they are full of dust ... turn on your brain, even occasionaly, Nenad !!! You realy like extra work?

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

nicely done Nenad!   you could move the lockers a bit closer and hide them........but I would think the cages were removable,  so they could be cleaned...especially the pig pen.   I can just hear the sailor {tasked with the job} now......."I'm not gonna crouch down there to clean that!"  as for those lockers,  Revell called them sail lockers in their instructions.  there are some 39 sails that fit the Cutty.......I'm in doubt that they would all fit in them.  they could be a utility locker......or possibly even the heads.   perhaps someone can clear this up...... ;)

have fun with the windlass.........let the spice flow!  :)

When I got this stage with the two "locker" my first thought was the heads. As they are as close as you can get to the front which is where they are on the Victory. Also didn't the clippers occasionally carry passengers? Who, especially in mid Victorian period, if they were ladies on board the sight of some burly jack with his trousers round his feet would have done more than caused a few shocked faces. So privacy would be vital. And as the years went by and real facilities were added the old ones would have been sealed of and so left with a fairly useless little locker. Just another perspective.

Also on the subject of chains. I'm doing the airfix version which has the holes in the side of the ship and the ports/funnels on deck but no mention of chain at all. So unless any prospective modeller is going to guess and plan a long way ahead there would be no chains to hold the anchors on. As it is I've got to drill the deck to allow the chain through behind the "pig pens" don't know yet how I'm going to get the chain across from the hole to the side of the ship. But it could be interesting.

Anybody know where I can find some well trained and very strong ants willing to work for nothing...

Ongoing builds,

the drilling was done before the fore deck was put in place.    I would imagine the airfix version is 1:150.......the chain gates would be molded onto the deck,  I'm thinking.......if it is that scale,  use smaller chain......and be relieved if you didn't glue the fore deck on already  ;)  PM me with pictures if you can.

Nenad........the windlass looks great!  did you fix the molding along the edge of the fore deck?  you must have.......;)   unless you have lungs like the big bad wolf........whatever is removable....remove and use a vac  ;)  if not......can you buy cans of compressed air?

can't get over it.........I like how it looks!   looks like I'll be tearing down the fore deck of my cutty and doing some scratch work!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Denis. I must figure out something. Our vac is too strong one ("Rainbow") and I am afraid to use it ( it will soak whole model at all), but ... wait ... it has opportunity to push air out !!!! Fortunately sails are not set !! ;)

Izzy

I can not help you with ants, I have fight with them in my attic and roof mouldings ...but I can speak with little dwarfs working with me, living under main deck ... but be carefull with them ... they like to drink beer when work and have a bear as a pet, sometimes let bear play with model and make mess for me ;) .. they work in darkness usually when I am sleeping, and I will send them a note. I am old fashioned, and don't use nano-bots. Maybe better solution? Bots do not drink and do not have pets :)

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

the drilling was done before the fore deck was put in place.    I would imagine the airfix version is 1:150.......the chain gates would be molded onto the deck,  I'm thinking.......if it is that scale,  use smaller chain......and be relieved if you didn't glue the fore deck on already  ;)  PM me with pictures if you can.

Nenad........the windlass looks great!  did you fix the molding along the edge of the fore deck?  you must have.......;)   unless you have lungs like the big bad wolf........whatever is removable....remove and use a vac  ;)  if not......can you buy cans of compressed air?

can't get over it.........I like how it looks!   looks like I'll be tearing down the fore deck of my cutty and doing some scratch work!  ;)

Hi,Nenad its looking great, if you can't get the vacuume to blow try using a straw and your lungs it will shift most. I look forward to meeting your dwarves, sounds like they are great for the really small jobs so long as they clean up after the bear

Hi, Popeye

Mins the 1/130 version and the chain gates are separate as it happens I've got some 1mm x 1mm chain and some 1mm x 1.5mm chain and I'm going to see which looks about right. I'll try to send some images later. And thankfully I learnt many years ago about gluing to soon so I've a small pile of part painted and waiting to be glued including the foredeck. So it's just a matter of drilling and passing the chain through. After I've blackened it as its copper. But that's soon fixed with a little brimstone and fire.

Keep up the great work Nenad. Perhaps one day I might just pluck up the curragh to scratch build. Trouble is I'd spend all my time remaking parts until they were just right. And probably never get any further than the keel

Ongoing builds,

Izzy, word "perfect" means: " yep, nobody had seen ..."

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

HI, Nenad

I was just looking for some info on the anchor chain layout for CS and came across this image

post-18378-0-97567200-1429634301_thumb.jpg

While it's not brilliant it does say clearly that the 'paint' lockers are in fact the heads.

Just thought I'd let you know hope it's of interest

Ongoing builds,

Izzy

If you are interested, here are correct names on Campbel`s plans

post-4738-0-17550500-1429641652_thumb.jpg

During hervworking life, CS was cargo merchant ship without passangers, with 20-30 crew members, and after that navy training ship. On Wiki you can find nice short history of her, and more detailed history in different sources, if you are interested

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I think Campbell would be a more reliable source Nenad.  B)

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

I agree, George, C-plans and photos are my main source. I think we can not expect from every kit manyfacturer to keep all details 100% accurate. Different kits are adjusted to different modelers, different passion, deducation, skill and ambition each of them. In my oppinion, main problem is that most of begginers and less experienced modelers do not exactly know what they actualy want when start particular building. Also I think my build is nice example of starting without idea what I am actually doing, and growing ambitions interests and ... from day to day. But, this is me, stubborn and persisting ...

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

What do you mean "don't know what you're doing"?  I think you're doing a fine job, and I think everybody goes through that "trial and error" thing. Just keep plugging away, and you'll end up with a model you can be proud of. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

My poor english, George. I.mean "what I was doing". Now I think I know what I am doing ;)

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: