Definition of ‘FINISHED’?

I understand when a model is complete, the word ‘FINISHED’ is included in the content title. However, I plan to work my Victory to the below state. I like this condition better for various reasons and it takes up less room for display purposes. Would this be considered ‘FINISHED’ or is it only when all the masts, spars, rigging, etc. is added? Perhaps the definition can be found in the forum content?  Thank you!

2BE952FB-4467-4C66-81BA-815BD820AD8B.jpeg

Rob

active projects: HMS Victory, Mamoli 1/90 scale

FINISHED= you have completed construction on it (as originally planned).  If your intent is to not have masts and rigging, then your model is finished.

In this case your VICTORY would NOT be finished, because it is missing a couple decks.  😁

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

People build models for different reasons, and chances are that when you start your project you have an idea of what you want it to look like when it is finished.  

It is is entirely possible to built a model shown under construction that satisfies your reason for building it.  The best example of this that I know of are the models in Harold Hahn’s exquisite shipyard diorama.  There are also models in the NMM collection that are built to demonstrate aspects of shipbuilding technology that show only parts of ships.

In my case, I consider a model to be finished when it goes in its glass case.

Roger

Speaking as one of the folks who marks builds as finished, we tend to do so at whatever point the builder says it's done. That may or may not include casing. If the builder says a case is imminent, we'll wait until the case shows up in the log.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I also follow Chris's lead on this.  If there's a question as to being "finished"... some of us PM the builder for a status.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)