I found some info in a google search:

Ventura County Maritime Museum Model Guild

2731 South Victoria Ave.

Oxnard, CA 93035

I can not tell if they still exist or not.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Yep you nailed it,..   "The Museum began as the Ventura County Maritime Museum in 1990 at Fisherman’s Wharf at Channel Islands Blvd and Victoria Avenue in Oxnard"    I copied this from the site. It also says they house the largest number of POW bone ship models in the US,...must be some museum. Thanks again. 

Over a period of ~ 25 years, I visited this museum probably about a dozen of times, or so. And each time I took a handful of photographs. So, today I have quite a collection of pics from there.

It is not nearly as big as, let's say, The US Navy Museum in Annapolis, but It is a very interesting little maritime museum, with an exceptionally friendly staff, mostly of volunteers, passionate individuals, who fondly greet every visitor and are willing to help him/her.

This is the museum, the next NRG conference will be held next year.

Their collection of ship models includes, among the others, about half a dozen ship models by the late Edward Marple, who was a dental technician, so he was quite handy with his dental drill and was using it quite skillfully for carving the ornamentation for his models. Among those especially interesting ones, are his Sovereign of the Seas, the Royal George and the Royal Katherine...

The museum also has quite an interesting collection of maritime paintings, among them a large format painting of the Royal Sovereign by Van de Velde the Younger. I also like very much their paintings by John Stobart.

Here is a handful of my pics from my last visit in June 2019. (Hopefully I will be able to attend the upcoming Conference and revisit their models again).

01 Sovereign of the Seas.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas by Edward Marple

02 Sovereign of the Seas.jpg

03 Sovereign of the Seas.jpg

04 Sovereign of the Seas.jpg

05 Vasa.jpg

Vasa by William Siegfried

06 chebec L'Indiscret.jpg

Xebec L'Indiscret by Unknown

07 galley Le Reale de France.jpg

galley La Reale de France

08 Frigate Seahorse.jpg

Frigate Seahorse by James Cutler

09 Royal George.jpg

Royal George by Edward Marple

10 Royal George.jpg

Royal George by Edward Marple

11 Royal Katherine.jpg

Royal Katherine by Edward Marple

12 John Bentham Dinsdale 'English King Charles II Receiving the Fleet after the Battle of Solebay 1672'.jpg

John Bentham Dinsdale "English King Charles II receiving the fleet after the Battle of Solebay 1672"

13 prisoner of war bone model.jpg

prisoner of war bone model

14 Royal Katherine.jpg

Royal Katherine by Edward Marple

15 Mars.jpg

Mars

16 Serapis.jpg

HMS Serapis

17 Charles Martin Powell 'British Man-O-War with Dutch Sailing Vessels in a Choppy Sea 1805'.jpg

Charles Martin Powell "British Man-O- War with Dutch Sailing Vessels in a  Choppy Sea" 1805

18 Chinese Exhibit.jpg

Chinese Exhibit

19 Steam Yacht 'Mayflower'.jpg

Steam Yacht "Mayflower"

19 Steam Yacht 'Mayflower'2.jpg

Steam Yacht "Mayflower"

36John Stobart 'Vallejo Street Wharf, San Francisco, 1863'.jpg

John Stobart "Vallejo Street Wharf, San Francisco 1863"

33Montague Dawson 'The Atlantic sailing packet Daniel Webster'.jpg

Montague Dawson "The Atlantic sailing packet Daniel Webster"

34John Stobart 'Clipper  Ship 'Nightingale' Towing Out Past Greenwich in 1852'.jpg

Jonn Stobart "Clipper Ship 'Nightingale' Towing Out Past Greenwich in 1852"

35John Stobart 'Nantucket Sunrise'.jpg

John Stobart "Nantucket Sunrise"

01Marple's worktable.jpg

Edward Marple's workplace (museum reconstruction)

02Marple's worktable.jpg

E. Marple's workplace

03Marple's worktable.jpg

E. Marple's workplace

04Marple's worktable.jpg

E. Marple's workplace

05Marple's worktable.jpg

HMS "Prince" Edward Marple's last model (unfinished)

06Marple's worktable.jpg

E. Marple's workplace with unfinished HMS "Prince"

07Marple's worktable.jpg

E. Marple's workplace & unfinished HMS 'Prince'

08Marple's worktable.jpg

E. Marple's workplace - detail

17Roy Cross 'Robert E. Lee in New Orleans, 1870's'.jpg

Roy Cross "Robert E. Lee in New Orleans 1870s"

18Roy Cross 'Steamer Adelaide Passing Fort McHenry'.jpg

Roy Cross "Steamer Adelaide Passing Fort McHenry"

19Roy Cross 'The Devonshire'.jpg

Roy Cross "The Devonshire"

26John Wilson Carmichael 'Squadron of Frigates and Fishing Vessels in a Choppy Sea off Holy Island'.jpg

John Wilson Carmichel  "Squadron of Frigates and Fishing Vessels in a Choppy See off Holy Island"

And the last pic here is a general view of Mr. Marple's workshop (reconstructed) again

Edward Marple workshop.jpg

Looks like a nice book.  I will have to look for a copy for my library.  I have edited the topic to reflect the book you are showing.

I am looking forward to the NRG Conference there as the pictures show that the Museum is my type of place I like to visit.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I checked the CIMM website and it still lists the guild.  It meets on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 6:30 PM.

It didn't say whether they were suspending meetings because of the virus.  You might be able to call the museum and ask.  805-984-6260

According to the museum's site, they are still closed, but the model guild may be meeting somewhere else during the interim, or as many clubs are doing, meeting by email.

Mary Van Dahm

3 minutes ago, NRG OFFICE MANAGER said:

I checked the CIMM website and it still lists the guild.  It meets on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 6:30 PM.

It didn't say whether they were suspending meetings because of the virus.  You might be able to call the museum and ask.  805-984-6260

According to the museum's site, they are still closed, but the model guild may be meeting somewhere else during the interim, or as many clubs are doing, meeting by email.

I bought the book online. I checked the shipping info and it came from the Simi Valley, CA..,, right where the museum and guild are located. Makes me wonder if someone simply didn't return it,....perhaps passed away..then a family member sold it with other belongings?? Who knows.  -Aaron

Considering how stained the cover is, it could be something that they sold off to raise money for the club or they no longer had space for all of their books so they sold some off.  If you are really worried about it, contact them and tell them how you got the book and ask if they want it back.  Be prepared to go looking for another copy for yourself if they do.

Mary Van Dahm

25 minutes ago, NRG OFFICE MANAGER said:

Considering how stained the cover is, it could be something that they sold off to raise money for the club or they no longer had space for all of their books so they sold some off.  If you are really worried about it, contact them and tell them how you got the book and ask if they want it back.  Be prepared to go looking for another copy for yourself if they do.

I'm not hiding the fact that I have it. I'd gamble members here belong to the that guild. I've got a whole 5$ in it. If they felt like I Jesse James'd it I would reimburse them via PayPal and let them do there own shopping.

Yes it's stained and could have been discarded for that reason. It actually appears to be glue..not surprising. Honest wear on a good vintage book doesn't bother me...info is still as valuable. I was only curious if the guild was still going or had long since disbanded. Glad to see it's still active.....and a museum with bone ship models to boot.

Well, I had planned on attending this conference but along came the virus.   I'm cursing it even more now after seeing those photos.  Just have to wait until next year.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Some notes on the book. It was published in 1942 by W. Norton Co. with a forward by H. I. Chapelle, 

who praised Grimwood  book as an excellent  guide book for beginner modelers having much useful 

detail to make good models without to much difficulty. Drawings in the book could be use to build a 

model from as they are clear and uncluttered. Subject ranges  from brig of war"Boxer" to a model racing 

yacht, 1930s era, by various draftsman. If considering buying a copy, look for the first edition as the drawings are fold 

out and more useful.

Bridgman Bob

On 8/24/2020 at 11:43 PM, Dziadeczek said:

Here is a handful of my pics from my last visit in May 2019.

Thank you for posting the photos of these amazing models. I'm not very familiar with these great warships so if anyone can sequentially identify the names of the ships in these photos it would be great. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

6 minutes ago, NRG OFFICE MANAGER said:

Bob - Most of the models have name plates and if you click on the picture, you can enlarge them enough to read the plate.

Thanks very much.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

19 minutes ago, Dziadeczek said:

Sorry for this omission - I corrected it plus added some more pics from one of my earlier visits...

Fantastic models and paintings. Thanks very much! 

Marple's work is amazing and his carvings are stunning.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

On 8/24/2020 at 11:43 PM, Dziadeczek said:

prisoner of war bone model

Is this model made entirely of bone?

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Thanks for the added photos, Thomas.   I never made the connection with Marple"s work shop and the museum until now.  I have seen photos of it before somewhere but even then only one or two of the work bench. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 hours ago, Dziadeczek said:

Sorry for this omission - I corrected it plus added some more pics from one of my earlier visits...

Regards,

Thomas

Thanks for the pics,...love the added ones as well. That Marples fella musta been something else...I've ran into his name a few times the last day or two here browsing. I'm going to spend some time later this evening doing some internet digging on him. - Aaron