HMS Victory Small Boat Mid-Ship Stowage Question

Hello,

Can someone tell me what the "proper" mid-ship small boat stowage configuration is for the HMS Victory?  I see many different configurations for stowing the small boats mid-ship, but was wondering what the "real" set up was.

Thanks,

Mark

Current Build -

1/78 Sergal HMS Victory Restoration

On The Shelf -

Marseille

I don't know,  but you will find out here!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Mark,

Keep in mind that  Victory would have had a number of configurations depending on the year.   According to W.E. May in Boats of Men of War  first rates carried six or even seven boats and the type and size of boats varied between the time she was launched in 1765 and Trafalgar.  The number, size, and shape would affect how they were stowed.   It is possible that the quarter davits would come into play as well as stowage midships.  Lavery discusses stowage at length in The Arming and Fitting of British Ships of War and gives a number of possibilities, but no solid conclusions so there may be no exact answer from contemporary sources.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Allan,

Excellent information thanks.  Actually that makes a lot of sense when you think about it.  Sounds like it really comes down to how I want to configure the lifeboats for my model and tastes.  

Thanks,

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Mark, 

If you don't mind I  am curious as to which ship's boats are called for in your Sergal kit.  

Thanks!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Allan,

I am actually doing a restoration of a Victory model my Uncle completed back in the late 1970's, early 1980's.  I have already added the life boats on the quarters, which my Uncles original build did not have, but was curious about the mid-ship boats.  Based on the plans I was able to acquire, I honestly cannot tell which boats are called for.  On one of my rigging plans, there is an outline of a small boat, but I do not see anything calling for a specific size/type of small boat.  For me, I love the extra level of detail small boats provide, so figured I would reach out here to see what the experts had to say about it! 😉🙂

Thanks,

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

17 hours ago, allanyed said:

It is possible that the quarter davits would come into play as well as stowage midships. 

It is possible, that the quarter Davits were not present at Trafalgar, as they are missing on the Turner drawings and all post-Trafagar drawings too and are shown for the first time on a drawing of 1822 if I recall well.

The stern davits were already disassembled several years ago.

All the best, DAniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Hi Daniel,

I guess that makes complete sense, given the boats hanging off the quarter davits could be a hindrance to firing the cannons in that area.  The good thing for me is the model is not an accurate representation of a specific time, so I figure that gives me a little bit of license to personalize it.  I don't want to go crazy with it, but I just love the look of small boats on a larger model. 

Model Ship World also has the greatest participants, with the best information! 🙂

Thanks for the information!

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Mark, if you have not already built the midship boats, let us know.   Information on appropriate type and sizes is available and can be shared. 

Allan

In the context of 1805,  “Lifeboats” were boats that could be launched quickly to recover a man overboard so these tended to be relatively light seaworthy boats.  In the sailing US Navy these were often naval versions of whaleboats.  Launched quickly means that they had to be hung from davits.

The idea of “man the lifeboats we’re sinking” was a much later concept.  Imagine trying to quickly launch a 30ft+ launch quickly.  These boats were workboats launched to handle specific tasks.  Prior to the Seventeenth Century these boats could be quite large and were often towed astern.  In the Eighteenth Century these boats were smaller and could be stowed on board.

As long as boats have been made of wood they have been a nuisance and hazard in battle.  As late as WWII a burning boat on board was an unwanted source of illumination during a night action.  I therefore believe that Captains during the age of sail did not hesitate to jetson boats when clearing for action.

Roger

I believe you're right, Roger.  Many accounts mention the boats being manned and under tow until the ships closed for battle.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)