Flying Dutchman By AB-ROYCE - CARD - first build

Hi I'm documenting  my first model (it'll probably won't match up with yours lol) but I think posting here will  motivate me to continue working on the model 

my materials are so limited  hahaha

I'm 19 years old lives in an isolated village in Algeria and this hobby just doesn't exist here lol 

I'm using cardboard for this build maybe later on I'll see if I can get my hands on some popsicle sticks.

I started today by printing the bulkheads and placing them 

It was such a pain to print them and line them perfectly because flying dutchman plans aren't public 

So I just used some reference pictures and some free models available on the internet to have a similar shape

20201024_161738.jpg

20201025_173158.jpg

20201025_173239.jpg

Current build Flying Dutchman

This is going to be a cool build, I’m excited to see how you solve some problems with limited resources. Good luck and have fun!

Bradley 

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

Day 2 progress :

- After the bulkheads were dry and kinda solid I created small squares between them I believe by doing this I'm going to make the core solid more 

And I'm going to use them later to put cannons from the inside of the ship since it's empty from the the inside 

20201026_153441.jpg

Almost done with the right side 

They looks awful now hahah but I'll add many layers of white papers so I'm assuming it's going to hide every bad looking spots 

The holes are meant for canons

But with the last three I decided to make holes later when cardboard is dry just to line them perfectly because I kinda messed up with the first ones cause I cut the cardboard  before placing it 

And since it's my first time working with cardboard 

Whenever I'm drawing or measuring everything makes sense but when I put the glue and place it on the frame everything goes wrong  hahahah 

20201028_165230.jpg

1 hour ago, silverman834 said:

Looks like a good start! In many ways I actually think it's more interesting to follow a build by someone with limited resources than someone that has the ultimate workshop at his disposal.

figuring out solutions for some problems is the interesting part of it i guess hahah

welcome 😇

Did some progress 

I technically finished placing the hull

I still have to think about how I'm going to make the  front of the ship looks like the flying dutchman 👌

My initial plan was to add layers upon layers of white 21×27 paper 

But I just settled by adding one layer and I'm going to use the cardboard like planks 

I believe this way I can decorate the outside of the hull as I want since the pieces aren't that big 

20201031_155104.jpg

Edited by AB-ROYCE

If you find you need more rigidity, you can use paper mache on the hull using common household materials.  Great work with just cardboard so far!

Amos

Current Build: Occre Essex Whaler (1/60)

Past builds: Amati Coca (1/60, 1st static ship) Little Shelley Foss (1/45) * Dumas Jenny Lee (1/32)* Dumas Painted Racer (1/8)* Dumas Ace Sloop

24 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

If you find you need more rigidity, you can use paper mache on the hull using common household materials.  Great work with just cardboard so far!

Yeah paper mache will definitely be helpful in some places 

Today I just used Pva glue with the paper 

You know just experimenting things 

But I I believe adding paper Mache to the mix will make it easier to reach some spots in the hull 

Thanks 🙏

• The title was changed to Flying Dutchman By AB-ROYCE - CARD - first build