Help identifying ship

Hello,

I'm hoping to get help identifying this ship and more info about it. 

My Father received this as a gift in the 1960's from the Grandmother of a German girl he was dating while stationed there. My Father passed away 2 yrs ago and I would very much like any info possible as to how old it might be, model name, etc. 

20201130_144105.jpg

20201130_144037.jpg

20201130_144033.jpg

20201130_144100.jpg

20201130_144125.jpg

20201130_144115.jpg

20201130_144142.jpg

20201130_144134.jpg

20201130_144212.jpg

20201130_144202.jpg

This model is an example of a decor model, and it was probably manufactured in Germany, as indicated by both your story and the Hamburg coat of arms (which should have the heads of both lions facing away from the shield). As such, it does not represent any particular ship, nor is it a good scale likeness of a type of ship. I'm not sure what is supposed to be indicated by the year 1541 on the foresail, as that is not the year the city was founded (it is far older), nor is that year indicated on the city's coat of arms. It also certainly does not indicate the year in which the depicted ship was built, as the model is obviously meant to portray a ship that is at least two centuries newer than the types that would have been seen in the Middle Ages. So, it is a fanciful ship, but with a good backstory. A lot of people pick this sort of model up at a yard sale or antique store and have no idea where or when it was built -- you are fortunate to know at least that much.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Interesting link, but even more interesting is the description:

"Up for sale is a Mid 20th Century Model of 1541 German Hanseatic League Warship! When on top of the wood stand, it measures 32 1/2" tall, 40 3/4" wide, and 10 1/8" deep. The piece is in excellent overall condition with minor signs of wear consistent with its age and use. "

Um ... no. This just goes to show that antiques dealers are not reliable sources of information on ship models. It most certainly is not a ship of 1541, and I'm not going to pay $950 for it unless I have a whole lot more information on its provenance besides just "Mid 20th Century Model." Like, a lot more.

Also, notice the difference in the mizzen mast rigs on the two models.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

I went to that site, Bruce....  and this pops up at the bottom of the page:  https://www.chairish.com/product/2178278/mid-century-luxury-liner-ship-model    Let's not laugh too hard at the asking price.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

So, Brian, as the original poster I hope this helps see the ship in the correct light. There are other sources online selling what appears to be the same item, all with unrealistic versions of their quality and value. I can only assume that your family-owned piece was new at some time around the middle of the 20th century and the fact that these dealers are offering models with so much in common proves that they were mass-produced.

Brian, ignore the prices in the advertisements: the ship is worth whatever your family feels it is worth. It is a decorative piece that celebrates Hanseatic Hamburg and may give a nod to some particular ship in an old print but it is not a true representation of an actual ship. Please also ignore the amusement we expressed at seeing how 'antique' dealers choose to describe these pieces as fabulous achievements in modelmaking and valuable.

Actually, I kinda like it.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

I’m on board with everyone else here about the value of this model, I will say though that i think this model is kind of cool still, It has some historic value to your family.

On a different note, do people buy the things on this website? I saw a half hull of “a nautical vessel” for almost 7 grand, thats crazy money to spend on a half hull of a ship that doesn’t exist by someone who isn’t known? I found another of  a Swedish model (a named ship but still) of a “luxury liner” that they want 18,500 USD for! Could i sell my models for that much lol

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)