Understood, thanks B.E.  The ship's boats I am using are the Model Shipways kit (MS0106) and the boats are approximately 9 cm long.  Here is a picture of the boats.  I am just looking for approximate oar lengths so they look appropriate.  These boats are on the 1/78 Sergal HMS Victory.  Hope this helps.

Thanks again,

Mark

20200724_095815 (2).jpg

Current Build -

1/78 Sergal HMS Victory Restoration

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Mark,

The Art of Making Masts, Yards, Gaffs, Booms, Blocks and Oars as Practised in the Royal Navy,   Steel and Goddard, London gives  dimensions of each part of the oars including the handle, loom, body and blade which add up to the total length.  Steel does mention that the length of the oars was about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 X the beam of the boat.  Some information on both ship's sweeps and ship's boats oars follows.  

Also, Up to 1780 Victory would have carried six boats from four oared cutters to launches over 30 feet long.  After 1780 she would have had the launch replaced with a long boat of similar  size plus another 4 oared cutter of about 18 feet for a total of seven boats.   Hope this helps.   Allan

DIMENSIONS OF OARS FOR BARGES, LIGHTERS & SHIPS' BOATS

Breadth or                               Length                                       Loom                      Blade               Handle                                                                                    (Square)

Tonnage               Sweep Handle  Loom  Body or    Blade                       Broad            Thick         Diam                Shank                                    Inner  Outer  Inner  Outer     of

Tons                       feet      ft. in.    ft.in     ft.in.          ft.in.      in.            in.       in.      in.       in.         in.

130                          27       1-3       11-0    6-0          9-0         4 ¼             4        7        3 ½      1        1 ¾

20                            21        1-0       8-6     4-6          7-0          4              3 1/8   6 ¼    2 7/8   7/8    1 ¾

Breadth in Ft In

7-0                            20     0-10      6-0      6-10       6-4           4              3 1/8   6 1/8   2 7/8   7/8    1 ¾

6-0                            19     0-10      5-0      7-2         6-0          3 7/8            3      6          2 ¾    7/8    1 ¾

5-0                            18     0-10      4-0      7-6         5-8          3 7/8            3      6          2 ¾    7/8    1 ¾

4-6                            17     0-10      3-6      7-4         5-4          3 ¾            2 7/8  5          2 ¾    7/8    1 ½

4-0                            16     0-10      3-0      7-4         5-4          3 ¾            2 7/8  5          2 ¾    7/8    1 ½

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

The length of oar per boat type and the number of them are in a table in W E May.

It is from 1886  but should provide realistic data.

I f you do not have a copy, list the various boat types and their lengths and I will extract the specific data.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

To add to this topic  I am posting - with Guild permission as copy of the data provided to NRJ subscribers in 1979.

It is from USN Standards 1900

oars.pdf

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Mark,

At your scale of 1:78 a 25 foot boat would be about 3.85 (97.7mm) inches long and the overall length of the oars would be in the neighborhood of 2" to 2.15" (50mm -54.7mm)  Again, hope this is of some help to you.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 10:39 AM, gieb8688 said:

Hello,

If I have a ship's boat that is 9cm long, what would be an appropriate length for oars?  

Thanks,

Mark

What is your opinion of the Sergal kit? I was following another builder doing a Mantua Victory and found the beam dimensions of the bulkheads were a full 1" narrower than the original plans.

Hi Larry,

My situation is a little different since I am doing a restoration of a model that had been built back in the late 1970's, early 1980's.  Having said that, I can comment that the rigging plan detail leaves something to be desired.  This is especially true since I am a first time wooden ship model builder.  Thank goodness for the large volume of reference materials on the Victory and the amazing knowledge contained within this site!! 

Thanks,

Mark

Current Build -

1/78 Sergal HMS Victory Restoration

On The Shelf -

Marseille