Barque Stefano by robdurant - MarisStella - 1:63

I know, the hardest part of adding jackstays is keeping the eye bolts that the stay wire runs through as parallel as possible.

I found if you can mount the yard in a machinist vice and drill the holes by using your drill press......the eye bolts will all be uniform and then the wire will run through them straight and true.

You're doing a great job.  I did notice that the trucks you made that are fixed to the masts....will not permit you to rotate the yard.....so it appears all your yards will be perpendicular to their masts.  Not a problem, it just dosn't give you the option of setting the sails for tacking or leeward breezes....just running with the wind.

Suggestion: Don't forget to stretch your wire.so it is as straight as possible.

Fantastic work.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thank you for the advice and the encouragement, Rob.  I don't own a drill press, so it will just be a case of marking it out and being as accurate as I can with hand tools. 

I think part of the problem was that I was drilling the holes too small, and then in the process of trying to push in the eyelets, I was bending the wire. Practise should make better, if not perfect, and I'm not scared of a do-over.

I've been doing some more work hemming the sails for the foremast... 

20230103195219-150416a4-la.jpg.a8bbb7d737778e0e2f0e797c43fee660.jpg

20230103195215-d0f72830-la.jpg.b7baac489b5223c3acc11630b07e75a5.jpg

20230103195211-22db0e7d-la.jpg.6c7a49b96dd2c38576d2902bd1649e7f.jpg

The paperclips stop the loops on the rope from disappearing into the hem until they're finally fixed. That should happen when I sew the bolt rope on to the edges of the sail.

Just wonderful....

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thank you, Rob :)

And a couple of studding sails... I've discovered that sewing sails is actually really really relaxing (except for when I'm stabbing myself with dress-making pins!)...  I can strongly recommend this as an enjoyable part of making the model. The plans include complex instructions for hemming the corners - due to the relatively coarse nature of the sail cloth, I have found it to be far too apt to fray for this to be possible (there's nothing left to sew that close to the edge of the fabric). Once the hems are done it all becomes much more manageable. Others with more experience of this may have excellent suggestions as to how this can be avoided. But I'm pleased with the results I'm getting, and as always, though I may not be able to reproduce them exactly they plans themselves are works of art, which I shall enjoy long after I've finished this model.

Care has to be taken with the studding sails (which are RH and LH), to ensure the hems are put on the back of the sail, and you don't end up with two RH or two LH! I've avoided this frustration so far...  Check twice, sew once, is the order of the day :) 

20230105224608-79ecc4db-la.jpg.98e216a68b81047c7a8a656fae0f0fe0.jpg 

Happy building, all.

Rob

Nicely done Rob.

Fully rigging them will bring you closer to frustration then you have ever strayed.....if you do not do your homework.

Wonderfully done........indeed.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Thanks Rob, and everyone for the likes. Not much to update, really. I've just been steadily working through the sail set, double hemming them. Today I needed to make some more rope, too.

20230117224019-7cd2b8a2-la.jpg.b4c08a0d7f26880c42725a6f6b868477.jpg

Once I got to the stay sails, there's no rigging to hold them at the moment, so I was forced to empty a tin of shortbread to provide somewhere to keep them safe 😁 There are two more stay sails to make, and then four stunsails and I'm done on this stage!

20230117224010-362d9b32-la.jpg.b338e3da6a0ea552760a43f0e7e246ec.jpg

Happy building :) 

Rob

Putting up sails - you're a braver man than I. 

Looking great!

George K

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

5 hours ago, gak1965 said:

Putting up sails - you're a braver man than I. 

Looking great!

George K

Thank you George :) I'm either brave or foolish... but nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

I was inspired to build this model when I saw a model of a clipper with sails in a museum. It was such a sight I couldn't resist. I am a bit nervous about rigging tensions for the stay sails so that they don't sag, which is one of the reasons the bowsprit goes right through to the deck so it will have a really good ability to push back against all that pull. I'll try and make sure the lines below the bowsprit are anchored well too.

Inevitably the rigging will end up being an indication of full rigging for the sails rather than every single line, but I still need to work all that out. Plenty still to do :)

Edited by robdurant

Rob....your sails are well fabricated and it looks like you are aware of the down falls of using cloth material.

One significant reason I used paper.....and even there, I needed to be careful of weight issues as well as billowing issues.

I've built so many clipper models that I finally resolved to make all my sails furled (starting with Glory of the Seas).  As they were actually furled in port.....on top of the yard.

I've also concluded(for myself), that this arrangement releases me from making the jackstays, as well as satisfying the need to include sails on my model.  Since sailing ships need to have sails mounted as much as they need rudders to steer.  A sailless vessel was a rare thing....unless it was to be laid up in port for a lengthy period of time.....be it for financial inactivity or extended repairs.

Your version is wonderfully made, and the addition of sails makes her even more so.

I look forward to your remedy and approach.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Hi all,

I've finished hemming the sails, and now it's onto bolt ropes. For this, I made some thinner rope (3 threads per strand of #50 DMC cordonnet thread). The bolt ropes come to an end at each corner of each sail, and they're used to attach the corner fittings for the sail. These were blackened ready for use. I've simplified what the instructions call for a little, but things are going well so far. 

Here's a photo of the photo-etch corner fittings.

20230125151435-a234c75e-la.jpg.62b67f03272c382a8cc1e435b4ab9f43.jpg

Step one is to attach the over-length bolt rope.

20230125151437-27909a24-la.jpg.a8dd8c377bc181eea19d2e1dd5305f2c.jpg

Step 2 is to attach the corner fittings... This results in something of a spiders web at each corner, but it all gets tidied up once everything's attached. In the photo below the photo-etch corner fitting has been attach to the left boltrope, but not the right.

20230125151432-6250798b-la.jpg.c0c2b0c6168ab9d545a7324a8074de3d.jpg

And here are all the hemmed sails laid out ... 34 in all!

20230125151431-0afb182e-la.jpg.15b501ad2bea07d9fdb91a6596f66dba.jpg

Plenty more sewing to enjoy... After this step - which will take some time! - comes reefing points, attachment holes, and lots more work on the yards to get them ready.

Thanks for looking in :)

Rob 

• 2 weeks later...

23 hours ago, robdurant said:

haven't stopped working on this, but it takes me a good couple of hours to put the bolt rope on each sail, so here is sail BS 4 getting bolt rope... 

Yikes. Another reason to not put on sails...

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

Okay - so today I added the bolt rope to another sail - no need to add pictures for that. It's another stay sail, so they would look pretty much identical to the previous pictures I've posted. Then, as a change of scenery, I began adding the mizzen shrouds. These are using (as a note to self as much as anything) 4 strand, 2x threads per strand, from #50 DMC Cordonnet thread, dyed in Rit Cocoa brown die. The captain's clearly a showy so and so, so he's used contrasting natural #20 DMC cordonnet thread for the lanyards.

The lanyards are something of a challenge. I've added two starboard pairs and one port pair so far (alternating sides, beginning to starboard), and because the dead-eyes are inside  the railing, and the lanyard needs to pass through the railing  from the outside on the lower deadeye, it took me lots of fiddling with tweezers, super-glue strengthened end of the lanyard and summoning of patience, before I realised that it was possibly simply to bend the deadeye in towards the centreline of the deck to rig it, and then bend it back out again. This is by far the easiest method I've found, and it's made the task achievable (still fiddly, but possible). I'm not sure whether leaving the deadeyes detached until this point would have helped matters, as I haven't tried that approach, but certainly one for builders of this model to watch out for.  

Here are some photos of progress so far. I haven't put watered down Aliphatic resin (carpenter's glue) on these yet, so the ends are left long intentionally. I'll do the whole lot in one go, once I'd happy they're all a good length.

One deadeye is rigged off the ship (I have a little template to keep the distances consistent), then the shroud is wrapped round the mast, through the crosstrees and top, and brought back down to have the other deadeye rigged. Before I rig the second deadeye, I put on the first lanyard, so that I can gauge where the second deadeye should go.

20230207214312-3548abe7-la.jpg.2fca819b1ed5a9d2685b3220fb1601d9.jpg

20230207214310-83e02f63-la.jpg.a68f6693630725230c7609a43b0ba86b.jpg

20230207214310-cc37e5e6-la.jpg.cb6ae83104b090147a65eb5c82c0c96a.jpg

Thank you to everyone for the likes and encouragement.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

So you made those ropes? They're beautiful! As is the whole ship.

Thank you Ian. You're very kind.

Yes, I made the ropes using the Syren rope rocket and DMC cordonnet crochet thread, dyed with Rit fabric dye.

It is wonderfully rewarding rigging with your own rope, and there's no anxiety about running out :)

Back to the sails... I've added bolt ropes to BS7, BS8 and begun BS9... I'm gradually working through the 34 sails. Not much to show, but work is continuing.

As always, thanks so much for all the likes - it does spur me on :) In the photo below, I'm just adding the last length of bolt rope along the bottom edge of the sail... BS1 through to 9 are all stay sails.

20230228162126-95c0fe8c-la.jpg.40f6fecae793750a8032c0cd8648ab5a.jpg  

• 1 month later...

Progress on the sails... I've just finished the bolt ropes on the topsail studding sails for the main mast - that's BS22 and BS23, so I'm two thirds of the way through the sails now... Once I've sewed on the bolt ropes, it'll be reefing points next... I have a plan for how to do that...  No photos of this, as it looks almost identical to the many photos I've posted of the sail sewing so far... 

What I have also been working on is the detailing of the yards, ready for them to carry the sails. I've completed the bands and the painting on the foremast yards, and now I'm working on the mainmast yards. It makes a huge difference to the look of the model, and when I get a chance, I'll take a photo outside with all the yards squared up.

Here's are the bands added to the foremast yards...  They're made of black card... 

20230330233725-ddaf590f-la.jpg.dffd90f08c4262d2c848f232e474931e.jpg

And here they are painted... 

20230330233724-510ca1de-la.jpg.cc657d52f986cef2ac23e92344cc83db.jpg

And finally, the full width of the main mast main yard, and that same yard, with stunsail booms removed again, so that the white sections can be painted...

20230402234245-72bbe8a9-la.jpg.874a2c1b0aca3cb4188befe2528e95bb.jpg

20230402234243-cdbca925-la.jpg.f4e4d6091750d160a8fa367ce4c0dd5d.jpg

Thank you for looking in, and for the likes and comments.

Rob

Rob...your masting is coming along very nicely.

Your work is clean and precise.  Not to mention the time and attention you are spending on your cloth sails.   Probably some of the best cloth sails I have seen.B)

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Very nice. Love the card bands!

Thank you @rwiederrich and @gak1965

I finally got the model outside as spring is well underway here. Unfortunately in my excitement I hung the main mast sails on the foremast on this photo, but it gives a little idea of how the finished model will look... I haven't finished adding stunsail yards, so the stunsails are missing on the main upper topsail and main top gallant yards, too. 

20230403_172544.jpg.cfb29ff1f6ecc31c3bff2796179f6ab9.jpg

Happy building to you all :)

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update. I've had a week off, so progress has been made. I've added all of the iron banding (black card), and painted the tips of the spars. The remaining rails for the yards were assembled using jigs, soldered, sprayed black and installed...

image.jpeg.18c434a410753d51643b33253dc409cb.jpeg

image.jpeg.7c8f327d6ccafdd2d97aa5916d1fb811.jpeg

Then I began to go through each yard individually (starting with 62, the mainmast royal yard), adding all of the eyelets, blocks and footropes (which are made from 1 strand, 3 threads per strand, ECRU #100 crochet thread, dyed to make approx a 0.5mm rope). This rope is too large for the eyelets, so it's secured to the eyelet using Gutermann sewing thread - the same thread I've used for sewing the sails.

image.jpeg.a15e26c1dde424592913be4ee8d1f5aa.jpeg

The following pictures are from the third yard I've been working on - 62c - the Mainmast upper topsail yard. The stirrups for the footrope are from the same rope.

image.jpeg.e6bdcda980cc32bbcb3520f7875438ed.jpeg

image.jpeg.5f91c4cc252066cbabc4abb7800e11ec.jpeg

At the same time, the stunsail booms are fixed in position, and the blocks attached.

I've attached the topgallant stunsails to the booms they hang from, and attached them to yard 62d (the Mainmast topgallant yard), leaving the belayed end coiled until the yards are finally attached.

The Royal and TopGallant sails have then been attached to the rails on the yards, giving the following effect...

image.jpeg.4f52c5ca50d063b6de8559d938d8f0c9.jpeg

image.jpeg.e1e96bd0ec849662e3e369ed0c4416a9.jpeg

I've almost ready to attach the Mainmast Upper Topsail to the Upper Topsail yard, but first, I need to put on the reefing points. These will be from #80 DMC Cordonnet crochet thread, which is thin enough to fit through the needle, and unlike the sewing thread, can be glued with watered down PVA so that I can make the reefing points hang more naturally... Time will tell whether this plan works out okay :)

image.jpeg.ef146edfba72b3ae838c64c17d141669.jpeg

I think that brings me up to date. Thanks for all the likes and encouragment.

Rob

Hi all,

Not much more to show, except the reefing points that are now stiffened using watered down PVA front and back. This was done before they were trimmed to length, by placing a small ruler behind the reefing points. Then they were trimmed to the bottom of the ruler giving a nice neat line.. The second photo is the progress on the mainmast lower-topsail yard with the footropes in progress....

.20230507190523-b5af9128-la.jpg.9edbacffb125e3691ed39a577cf0d8f9.jpg20230507190517-0584a840-la.jpg.8eda1513480d1fdf6fc66f4438212cb4.jpg

As always, thanks for the likes and encouragement.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished the yards on the mainmast. It's a process of keeping the faith as you go, as it has to look like an explosion of rope before order then appears out of the chaos... Here are the footropes in process...

image.jpeg.c527f8f3d85408dad8c1dbd4f80bca89.jpeg

And then completed...

image.jpeg.e5c7b1c3ece48fb690fd718d4e2d6665.jpeg

And here's a shot of the whole mast... the lower stunsails have had the stunsail yards attached to the tops, but haven't been rigged at all yet... None of these yards are finally attached, but are pretty much complete as units. 

20230515224959-a9bcf16c-la.jpg.10eaf64c37dc4ecb35817c5ac228bc58.jpg20230515224958-a458243b-la.jpg.1c72b86d3d25e8aedbb717f5920e6771.jpg

To have a bit of a break from the yards, I think I'll do some ratlines on the lower shrouds. I think I probably need to tackle the futtock shrouds (metal bars?) first, though, otherwise they're going to be a bear to access.

Thanks for looking in :)